Confirmed with Link: Abdelkader placed on waivers for buyout

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
He, like Cleary, is a guy who should have been given a heroes farewell by the fans, but instead will forever have resentment attached to him because of the Kenny Country Club Contract(s).

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
He, like Cleary, is a guy who should have been given a heroes farewell by the fans, but instead will forever have resentment attached to him because of the Kenny Country Club Contract(s).

Hero?
Cleary at least won with the team.

Abdelkader could easily catch on as a decent 4th line, character, PK guy.
But he seems to move slower and seems more fragile these days.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Hero?
Cleary at least won with the team.

Abdelkader could easily catch on as a decent 4th line, character, PK guy.
But he seems to move slower and seems more fragile these days.
Dude can barely skate anymore past the first dozen games. He's done.

Not sure why anyone thinks a team will pick him up when the worst team in the league just bought him out. Nobody dumpster dives a dumpster fire.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Dude can barely skate anymore past the first dozen games. He's done.

Not sure why anyone thinks a team will pick him up when the worst team in the league just bought him out. Nobody dumpster dives a dumpster fire.

If Abdelkader was making $1M a year, nobody would care. He'd be a dime-a-dozen fourth liner.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Must be hard to idolize Steve Yzerman growing up...only to have him cut you from the Red Wings later in life.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I wonder if he gets picked up by someone.

I believe a team would give him a PTO, then its up to him to earn a spot. Who knows, he hasn't played hockey in 8 months and by the time the season starts it will be closer to 10 months. Maybe he heals and gets himself into better shape and can become a decent 4th liner/health scratch who subs in for an injury every once in a while.

Reactions: Steve Yzerlland

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I believe a team would give him a PTO, then its up to him to earn a spot. Who knows, he hasn't played hockey in 8 months and by the time the season starts it will be closer to 10 months. Maybe he heals and gets himself into better shape and can become a decent 4th liner/health scratch who subs in for an injury every once in a while.
Ligaments and cartridges don't heal without surgery and he's already opted not to do that. I have a partially torn PCL, no surgery, knee pops out of place sometimes when I'm sleeping because my muscles relax. Doctor did not recommend surgery because it wasn't fully torn.

Seems like Abby's got something similar going on with a stretched or partially torn ligament. Probably best for him to retire unless he wants to wake up screaming in the middle of the night because his knees pop out while sleeping.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Ligaments and cartridges don't heal without surgery and he's already opted not to do that. I have a partially torn PCL, no surgery, knee pops out of place sometimes when I'm sleeping because my muscles relax. Doctor did not recommend surgery because it wasn't fully torn.

Seems like Abby's got something similar going on with a stretched or partially torn ligament. Probably best for him to retire unless he wants to wake up screaming in the middle of the night because his knees pop out while sleeping.

Has this been confirmed? Or are you speculating? Not saying you are wrong, but I haven't heard this before.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Has this been confirmed? Or are you speculating? Not saying you are wrong, but I haven't heard this before.
Speculating, but it's obviously a leg injury of some sort. He simply hasn't been able to skate the past 3 years.

He started off last season a bit faster than the previous 2 seasons, but then his skating slowed down every game. I just don't think it's a lack of effort, but his body giving out.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Speculating, but it's obviously a leg injury of some sort. He simply hasn't been able to skate the past 3 years.

He started off last season a bit faster than the previous 2 seasons, but then his skating slowed down every game. I just don't think it's a lack of effort, but his body giving out.

He missed time with a MCL sprain in 16/17, and was still hoping to avoid surgery that spring. I don't know how familiar everyone is with this, but even though it is labeled a "sprain" it involved at least some minor tearing. I don't remember ever hearing of Gator going under the knife, so I'm assuming he's been playing on it the past few years. It would explain how his skating has gradually worsened, as I doubt playing hockey on a MCL with even minor tearing is going to make it any better. It might even explain how he could start a year looking really good just to have his skating fall off again.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He missed time with a MCL sprain in 16/17, and was still hoping to avoid surgery that spring. I don't know how familiar everyone is with this, but even though it is labeled a "sprain" it involved at least some minor tearing. I don't remember ever hearing of Gator going under the knife, so I'm assuming he's been playing on it the past few years. It would explain how his skating has gradually worsened, as I doubt playing hockey on a MCL with even minor tearing is going to make it any better. It might even explain how he could start a year looking really good just to have his skating fall off again.
Yeah, exactly what happens with my partially torn PCL during ski season. I don't worry about it anymore because my back hurts worse, lol.

As for a job with the franchise, only if he's qualified for whatever job we're talking about. No need to give him a job for the sake of giving him a job. He's already getting paid to do nothing.

Reactions: Winger98

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Reward him for having a Red Wings heart with a scouting job or something.
Please NO. Keep him away from our scouting dept., we're just now fixing it. He's made ~$30M ++ in his career & has some little kids, he can live like a king for the rest of his life & not work 1 day more. Let him enjoy retirement.

Just keep him away from the Wings/GR. (I don't think he's smart enough to be a good talent scout).

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes
    • Updated: