Confirmed with Link: Abdelkader placed on waivers for buyout

redwings8831

Jan 16, 2009
Justin Abdelkader Contract Buyout Details - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

1.8 cap hit this year, 2.3 for the next two, and then 1.05 for the final three years

qHyMYq8.png

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Peace bitch.

Honestly, I don't have any fond Abby memories. I know he didn't offer himself that contract but he never did anything before that to endear me to him (other than come from Michigan and play for the MI College I don't like). Good luck in whatever field you move into.

Reactions: Steve Yzerlland

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
BLESS!

Beyond getting out of Abby's awful play and wasting a roster spot, this has big implications for both FA and picking up cap dumps.

Reactions: marcmadsen

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
So what's Yzerman planning to do with that money?

According to CapFriendly, it saves the Wings $2.4M this year, then about $2M in the '22 and '23 seasons.

It costs about $1M in '24-26.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Wish Gator the best he was never the same after the World Cup injury. Glad to move forward, looks like Yzerman is prepared to push us higher in terms of the cap than I anticipated or at least wants that flexibility.

Yeah this is interesting.

One, we learned even established veteran players aren't safe if they can no longer help on the ice.

Two, we learned he'd rather take the long-term, lower cap hit than simply deal with Abby on the roster the next 3 years.

Is this because keeping him around in the AHL would be a toxic situation? Or because he wants to have that cap room for additional moves?

Something to keep an eye on.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
So what's Yzerman planning to do with that money?

According to CapFriendly, it saves the Wings $2.4M this year, then about $2M in the '22 and '23 seasons.

It costs about $1M in '24-26.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Surprising move. With the cap space they have they could have easily let the contract expire.

To me, this says no passengers. Earn your pay. Regardless if you wear a letter.

surprising but proper.

Could also be they are starting to think no AHL... Alzner just hit the waiver wire for buyout too. We know the plan was to bury him. Curious if that factors into this.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Ummmm, I thought April 1st was in April. Did they move it this year due to Covid?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad