Player Discussion: Aatu Raty (2021 52nd OA)

scott99

May 13, 2005
One aspect of the kids bad past year hasn't been emphasized enough I think: he had Covid and not the easiest one either. Took him quite a few months to recover. As an anecdotal evidence: I went through it as well, healthy and dare I say sporty 40+ man, and now after 8 months since my recovery, I'm starting to get my full breath and stamina back. The virus aint no joke..

Räty is still so young that he can develop his skating. It's mostly his posture, which isn't hard to train right. Would really better his edgework that way.

Will be a "steal".

Interesting side note, The Isles hired a new skating coach, Oddly enough, Zach Parise’s skating coach. She is former Islander’s prospect Aaron Ness’s mom. Maybe she will work with Raty. And hopefully Parise as well :)

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
For anyone wondering how to pronounce each:

o-colon, o-dot-dot, big o-dot-dot, a-dot-dot, big a-dot-dot, a-circle, big a-circle.

Ä
This letter can be thought of as the English ‘ai’ in ‘pair’, or ‘hair’. The only thing to remember is that the mouth is actually quite wide, a bit more of a smile than when saying ‘pair’.

Mavericknyc1980

Jul 14, 2006
One reason he fell off against men is his skating doesn't cut it. Doesn't bode well for his NHL prospects imho, and obviously the orgs seem to agree with that, seeing how late he went. In hindsight it's kind of baffling he was rated as high as he was by many. Maybe I'm wrong and he manages to develop it but skating is one of those things you almost always have by his age or you'll never really have it. I guess we'll see once the season starts and he gets his opportunity to take a spot on the top lines.
I’m sure they talked to Ness the skating coach and are going to be in touch soon.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I had a strange feeling he'd drop to us...but kept saying to myself that it would be a long shot..couldn't imagine him dropping as far without being picked by another team, especially in the second round.

Reactions: behemolari

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Certainly an interesting draft pick. Always cautious when you have questions about skating and needing time and space, but we shall see. It will be fun to watch this kid develop with some possible signs that a top 10 pick fell to Lou in the second round. He apparently had a really bad year which could have earned him a first round selection had he been better. Certainly as good a chance as any to be a keeper in the crapshoot of the second round of the NHL draft.

I will quote here: “He generates so much power on every release by sacrificing a quick drawback, instead taking his sweet time loading downforce into his lever-action wrister. It’s a hard, accurate shot when he has the time and space to send it on net. He’ll drive the centre lane with the puck on nearly every entry, and he isn’t shy about setting up shop at the net-front even if it means paying a physical toll on every shift”. -EliteProspects 2021 NHL Draft Guide

Aatu Räty at eliteprospects.com
It's a weird phrasing. He has a sweet windup, but few of his goals come from taking his time.

backwards motion

Sep 29, 2017
While can't really follow all the teams from Finland. And was kinda weird Räty dropped so far. I'm kinda glad. At least he's young to improve and my fair opinion is, he will. Good that he has good English so when ever he comes there, there is no language barrier. Kinda like his attitude in that interview, seems like a kid that is really willing to improve and knows what is up. And as a Finn bias, happy that he got to a great team and organisation. Rather that than ... something, worse. Let's put it that way. Hope he will be great in there for many years to come.

Reactions: behemolari and buud

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
One aspect of the kids bad past year hasn't been emphasized enough I think: he had Covid and not the easiest one either. Took him quite a few months to recover. As an anecdotal evidence: I went through it as well, healthy and dare I say sporty 40+ man, and now after 8 months since my recovery, I'm starting to get my full breath and stamina back. The virus aint no joke..

Räty is still so young that he can develop his skating. It's mostly his posture, which isn't hard to train right. Would really better his edgework that way.

Will be a "steal".

A case like Räty's makes me wonder what the heck the scouts thought. Did they see really see alarming things in Räty's game or did they see what they wanted to see as his numbers looked bad and as he wasn't selected to the U20-team.

How can a guy who was projected to be even #1 pick drop to #52 after such a strange season. Scouts should realize his FEL team didn't give him a fair chance at the start of the season (fans were angry about this) and him having covid himself and the effect covid had to the whole team as well as confidence issues after such a difficult start played a big part in the remaining few months. I understand this all dropped his stock to some extent, but to 52, that's amatourish to me.

It's like Räty started to drop and then everyone was like "there's got to be something wrong with him as he's dropping and we don't want to be the fools picking him". Good for you guys your GM and scouts grabbed this chance as I honestly think they don't come many times in a decade.

This is one example of what was written about Räty a month ago by one scout. A few quotes:

Definitely. If I were the Wild, I’d pick Raty with either of the first round picks they have. I think his availability at No. 20 will depend on how much a team like Nashville values centers in the draft. They’re looking to stock the cupboards, too.

Although Raty doesn’t have quite the size that Koivu has, it’s reasonable to assume that Raty could end up having the best parts of Koivu’s defensive skillset. I believe that Raty has considerably more offensive upside, but I think it’s an interesting argument to make.

2021 NHL Draft: Aatu Raty is a favorite

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
While can't really follow all the teams from Finland. And was kinda weird Räty dropped so far. I'm kinda glad. At least he's young to improve and my fair opinion is, he will. Good that he has good English so when ever he comes there, there is no language barrier. Kinda like his attitude in that interview, seems like a kid that is really willing to improve and knows what is up. And as a Finn bias, happy that he got to a great team and organisation. Rather that than ... something, worse. Let's put it that way. Hope he will be great in there for many years to come.

I think Räty ended up being lucky with the team that picked him and he knows that. From what I know there's a real need towards a player like Räty and as he's a hard worker it's hard to see him providing less than a realiable two-way center with lots of offensive potential. But I personally believe the offensive potential will turn to actual scoring and he'll turn out to be a heck of a steal.

I think there's another U20-game tonight, it'll be interesting to see how he plays in the remaining games. There's a stream I think, but don't know if it requires just signing in or if it costs something.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I think Räty ended up being lucky with the team that picked him and he knows that. From what I know there's a real need towards a player like Räty and as he's a hard worker it's hard to see him providing less than a realiable two-way center with lots of offensive potential. But I personally believe the offensive potential will turn to actual scoring and he'll turn out to be a heck of a steal.

I think there's another U20-game tonight, it'll be interesting to see how he plays in the remaining games. There's a stream I think, but don't know if it requires just signing in or if it costs something.
Game should be in progress, it started at 1pm. A little disappointed Raty doesn’t have 2 goals yet.

4th round pick Cameron Berg is on the USA team playing vs Raty.

CameronNeely

May 11, 2019
Räty has flaws in his game, but most youngsters do. The good thing is that his strenghts match with very high end prospects' strenghts. Finnish national basketball team's headcoach is a philosphical type of a person and said it well: "To get the best out of your players, you need to feed two ingredients: opportunities and self confidence. Räty had shortage of both last season.

I've seen a lot of him. He has always been a very good hard working player and that will not change. To me it was a market overreaction and Lamouriello was an experinced old fox who sniffed it. I consider this as a very very good pick at 52. :toothless

CameronNeely

May 11, 2019
Ä
This letter can be thought of as the English ‘ai’ in ‘pair’, or ‘hair’. The only thing to remember is that the mouth is actually quite wide, a bit more of a smile than when saying ‘pair’.
Pat is pronounced with an authentic "Ä":)

Stoat

Jan 5, 2014
Oulu
It was never confirmed by Kärpät, but I'm confident that Aatu and his brother Aku both had Covid last fall.

The way he was playing preseason and first matches was way better than the ones he played after being benched for 2 months. During that 2 month stint he played only few U20 games, which makes me think that he had not fully recovered from Covid. Also strange thing about Kärpät coach last season. The whole team was underperforming and he did not change anything. Aatu averaged 11 minutes of ice time during the season and way worse performing guys got 16 minutes with 1st unit PP. That of course could be because he was not fully recovered.

Anyway. What I'm trying to say is that the kid should not be judged by the poor last season. The whole team was a train wreck during these really strange times. I bet you guys can follow this thread with a smile on your face this upcoming season.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
It was never confirmed by Kärpät, but I'm confident that Aatu and his brother Aku both had Covid last fall.

The way he was playing preseason and first matches was way better than the ones he played after being benched for 2 months. During that 2 month stint he played only few U20 games, which makes me think that he had not fully recovered from Covid. Also strange thing about Kärpät coach last season. The whole team was underperforming and he did not change anything. Aatu averaged 11 minutes of ice time during the season and way worse performing guys got 16 minutes with 1st unit PP. That of course could be because he was not fully recovered.

Anyway. What I'm trying to say is that the kid should not be judged by the poor last season. The whole team was a train wreck during these really strange times. I bet you guys can follow this thread with a smile on your face this upcoming season.

Yes, the effects of COVID-19 can linger, months after being well enough to be cleared to return to work or school.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad