Player Discussion: Aatu Raty (2021 52nd OA)

scott99

May 13, 2005
There is literally nothing to dislike about this pick. We got a 1st round rated player in the middle of the 2nd round. The LOWEST any draft service had him was #28. Most had him top 20. In last years Hockey News draft guide, they had him as the best player for the 2021 draft. Talent wise, he’s a top 20 player. I can’t believe we got him.

Reactions: Whyme

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
There is literally nothing to dislike about this pick. We got a 1st round rated player in the middle of the 2nd round. The LOWEST any draft service had him was #28. Most had him top 20. In last years Hockey News draft guide, they had him as the best player for the 2021 draft. Talent wise, he’s a top 20 player. I can’t believe we got him.
I hope you are right and will trust many of you who've kept an eye out on this draft class and are knowledgeable on prospects. Sounds like many are just wary of Kabanov or Hosang repeat.

Reactions: buud

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I hope you are right and will trust many of you who've kept an eye out on this draft class and are knowledgeable on prospects. Sounds like many are just wary of Kabanov or Hosang repeat.

This is more in line with Jesse Joensuu then those 2(ie a highly rated guy who fell to the 2nd round). Ho Sang and Kabanov were guys who had "character" issues

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019

My knowledge of young players around the world has been and is quite limited, but this is one of the most amazing or even the most amazing pick I remember. I thought the team who picks him around 20 will be lucky and never thought he'd drop this low. I understand why scouts started to ignore him (after a difficult season and not seeing him in national teams) but I believe they were wrong in this case.

Knowing Raty a bit (just as a local fan though) I think he'll be even more determined to prove the others were wrong and you did right after falling this much. I repeat myself, but this was an unreal pick. Like with anyone else it doesn't mean he'll definitely become a star or even a great NHL forward, but the potential to become one is there, which is something you can very rarely say about someone picked so low.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
All for this pick. Upside home run potential rather than playing it safe. This was the best case scenario. Also stresses the importance of moving up from 60 to 52. Don’t think he would have lasted had Lou not made the Leddy deal. My pal @kelsier is a Finnish fan and I trust his analysis if he would like to add his thoughts.

Reactions: Whyme and xECK29x

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
He gave a lot right answers. I liked that he just admitted that there were better players than him and it was tough to play against men.

He kept the truth in him very well, I'm sure he was tempted to say more. It's true the team has money and they had more proven and probably better centers ahead, but that's only part of the truth.

If he'd been in some other teams he'd been at least 2C from the beginning and that could've set a very different tone to the season. In Kärpät he was placed to the 4th line with wingers of lower quality than we're used to seeing in our team. What's even worse they kept rotating the wingers around him and kept his TOI low. After a great game where he managed to score 2 goals they dropped him to the popcorn section.

I didn't follow the 2nd half of the season too closely, saw he was promoted to the 3rd line but felt the damage was already done. The FEL is tough league in which very few young prospects of his age do great unless they are placed along with two great forwards and given PP time.

Stercrazy

Jul 4, 2007
Seems like he has skill and transitioned well into a 2 way C. It will be interesting to see his development. The Isles have come a long way from the 2003 draft where the only pick that made the roster was Bruno Gervais.

SRQKiter

Sep 26, 2018
If you can take a guy with the 52nd pick who was previously projected to be a first overall, but whose game is perceived to have fallen off during some very strange times, you do it. Good gamble for the Islanders.

Last edited:

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Future 1-2 punch with Barzy? Love this pick, we can take our time with him and develop him properly. Just don’t let Thompson get his hands on him.

Thompson nerds to be replaced.

I love this pick. You have to roll the dice. Whom knows what he was being told to do at the senior level. I can't explain it but I felt this wad going to be our pick.

Islander Class

Jun 30, 2018
South Carolina
Very honest assessment of his season- and seems he’s picked up a bit of a “blue collar” mentality through it all (i.e. turning lemons into lemonade) which will definitely serve him well in this organization. Welcome aboard- and best of luck!

MYIslanders

Oct 4, 2014
Thompson nerds to be replaced.

I love this pick. You have to roll the dice. Whom knows what he was being told to do at the senior level. I can't explain it but I felt this wad going to be our pick.
Several years ago I went to an isles/Canes game in Carolina. A puck went into the isles bench and Thompson picked it up. Sitting next to their bench, I crossed my eyes, stuck my tongue out and waved to Thompson like I had just gotten off the short bus. He tossed me the puck over the glass (probably feeling bad for me) and it still sits on a shelf in my kitchen. Thompson stays!

Islander Class

Jun 30, 2018
South Carolina
Absolute steal. I am incredibly upset he went like this in the 2nd round and my Rangers couldn't find a way to get him. Which would have made the 1st Round pick of Othmann feel much better.

Just came here to say that. Great pick.

Thank you sir. Just collecting our lottery tickets like everyone else- but definitely seems like a talented player that might have slipped through a Covid/rough season overseas crack.

Mara

May 10, 2011
One reason he fell off against men is his skating doesn't cut it. Doesn't bode well for his NHL prospects imho, and obviously the orgs seem to agree with that, seeing how late he went. In hindsight it's kind of baffling he was rated as high as he was by many. Maybe I'm wrong and he manages to develop it but skating is one of those things you almost always have by his age or you'll never really have it. I guess we'll see once the season starts and he gets his opportunity to take a spot on the top lines.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
One reason he fell off against men is his skating doesn't cut it. Doesn't bode well for his NHL prospects imho, and obviously the orgs seem to agree with that, seeing how late he went. In hindsight it's kind of baffling he was rated as high as he was by many. Maybe I'm wrong and he manages to develop it but skating is one of those things you almost always have by his age or you'll never really have it. I guess we'll see once the season starts and he gets his opportunity to take a spot on the top lines.

Not that skating is more important in European rinks, but it’s definitely more noticeable if it’s not elite.

His skating might not be much of an issue in North America if he has good edge work

Nate070

Sep 15, 2010
Maldives
Absolute steal. I am incredibly upset he went like this in the 2nd round and my Rangers couldn't find a way to get him. Which would have made the 1st Round pick of Othmann feel much better.

Just came here to say that. Great pick.
Not sure it really is a gamble. More like a steal in my opinion. Congrats Islanders. I am pretty sure he will be a good player for you

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
In my head Raty will be a top10 or even top5 pick unless otherwise proven. I don't think last season proved anything so it'll be interesting to see how he develops when things return to normal, now that he's had to process failing to meet the huge expectations last season and when he actually is trusted by his team. I believe there's a great chance he'll take some shocking steps forward.

I do see one short-term risk. Obviously his FEL team will use him as a 3C, which may not be the ideal place, but even in this case I'm pretty confident he'll become a very good NHL player. Even in the worst case scenario he should probably become a reliable 2-way center, which wouldn't be too bad for such a low pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad