Player Discussion: Aatu Raty (2021 52nd OA)

Dec 25, 2020
Hill Country
Calm your horses on the hype gentlemen, but i do agree this was a very good 2nd round pick, time will tell just how good.
Sir , we all know that this was the best , one of the most tremendous , maybe even the greatest second round pick of all time. So I think we need to crank this hype into overdrive.

If you think anything else then that just unbelievable and sad

Sad

Gord Lane Shot Clock

Jul 20, 2021
NHL radio on Sirius XM spoke about him at length and explained why he wasn’t a top prospect anymore. At some point results matter and his results have been poor. His size and physical attributes got him to the top but his results got him out of the first round.
I like that we took a swing with him, but let’s temper our enthusiasm a little. Let’s see him get coached up a little. If that happens, then we have a steal. Right now he’s a lottery ticke.

Reactions: behemolari

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
He kept the truth in him very well, I'm sure he was tempted to say more. It's true the team has money and they had more proven and probably better centers ahead, but that's only part of the truth.

If he'd been in some other teams he'd been at least 2C from the beginning and that could've set a very different tone to the season. In Kärpät he was placed to the 4th line with wingers of lower quality than we're used to seeing in our team. What's even worse they kept rotating the wingers around him and kept his TOI low. After a great game where he managed to score 2 goals they dropped him to the popcorn section.

I didn't follow the 2nd half of the season too closely, saw he was promoted to the 3rd line but felt the damage was already done. The FEL is tough league in which very few young prospects of his age do great unless they are placed along with two great forwards and given PP time.
Thanks for all your insights, appreciate it!

Reactions: Whyme

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Certainly a nice change to draft a player, and that player scores 4 goals hours after being drafted. Good day to have a prospect with some offensive acumen.

Reactions: Mestaruus

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
This is more in line with Jesse Joensuu then those 2(ie a highly rated guy who fell to the 2nd round). Ho Sang and Kabanov were guys who had "character" issues
Cool. Thanks for the response! We are all this kid's number one fan now as he joins the organization. Not a bad night either on the scoresheet!!

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
NHL radio on Sirius XM spoke about him at length and explained why he wasn’t a top prospect anymore. At some point results matter and his results have been poor. His size and physical attributes got him to the top but his results got him out of the first round.
I like that we took a swing with him, but let’s temper our enthusiasm a little. Let’s see him get coached up a little. If that happens, then we have a steal. Right now he’s a lottery ticke.
I must of missed that. I was listening when they made the pick and they spoke briefly about his fall and went right onto the next pick. I love XM NHL radio. I have it on in the car and stream it at work.
Hopefully the kid takes it to the next level. I think he scored more goals tonight than he did all of last season.

Reactions: ShiroganeKvasha30

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Certainly an interesting draft pick. Always cautious when you have questions about skating and needing time and space, but we shall see. It will be fun to watch this kid develop with some possible signs that a top 10 pick fell to Lou in the second round. He apparently had a really bad year which could have earned him a first round selection had he been better. Certainly as good a chance as any to be a keeper in the crapshoot of the second round of the NHL draft.

I will quote here: “He generates so much power on every release by sacrificing a quick drawback, instead taking his sweet time loading downforce into his lever-action wrister. It’s a hard, accurate shot when he has the time and space to send it on net. He’ll drive the centre lane with the puck on nearly every entry, and he isn’t shy about setting up shop at the net-front even if it means paying a physical toll on every shift”. -EliteProspects 2021 NHL Draft Guide

Aatu Räty at eliteprospects.com

sleb

Dec 26, 2005
with polarbears
One aspect of the kids bad past year hasn't been emphasized enough I think: he had Covid and not the easiest one either. Took him quite a few months to recover. As an anecdotal evidence: I went through it as well, healthy and dare I say sporty 40+ man, and now after 8 months since my recovery, I'm starting to get my full breath and stamina back. The virus aint no joke..

Räty is still so young that he can develop his skating. It's mostly his posture, which isn't hard to train right. Would really better his edgework that way.

Will be a "steal".

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
One aspect of the kids bad past year hasn't been emphasized enough I think: he had Covid and not the easiest one either. Took him quite a few months to recover. As an anecdotal evidence: I went through it as well, healthy and dare I say sporty 40+ man, and now after 8 months since my recovery, I'm starting to get my full breath and stamina back. The virus aint no joke..

Räty is still so young that he can develop his skating. It's mostly his posture, which isn't hard to train right. Would really better his edgework that way.

Will be a "steal".
Didn’t know he had COVID so that definitely could have affected his game. Zajac had Covid and it took him a while before he felt right again. Most athletes recover but some take longer then others to recover. I’m in my mid 40s I’m good health and got covid. Took me about a week to feel fine again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad