Player Discussion: Aatu Raty (2021 52nd OA)

scott99

May 13, 2005
This is more in line with Jesse Joensuu then those 2(ie a highly rated guy who fell to the 2nd round). Ho Sang and Kabanov were guys who had "character" issues
I think he’s a way better prospect than Joensuu ever was. I can see the parallels as far as falling in the draft, but the similarities end there.

Reactions: Anantika and Whyme

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Not sure it really is a gamble. More like a steal in my opinion. Congrats Islanders. I am pretty sure he will be a good player for you

I also can't see this as a gamble. A reliable young 2-way center with huge offensive potential wouldn't be a gamble picked at this stage even if you take away the huge offensive potential.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019

Good start to the season for Räty. Best player on the ice.

And his skating looks fine. Not bad at all.

To be honest I'm not too surprised. Like I said expect him to start shining now that the worst pressure is off from his shoulders, covid situation will hopefully be better and he will probably have better usage from his team.

I hope he keeps playing well in this tournament and thus makes other GMs wonder how they missed the chance.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
I think he’s a way better prospect than Joensuu ever was. I can see the parallels as far as falling in the draft, but the similarities end there.

Joensuu was able to use his size to dominate but it caught up to him in his draft year. That is what I remember as the reason for his drop. This kid is a better prospect for sure.

scott99

May 13, 2005
If you read the article posted in this thread, it seems his bad season has a lot to do with lack of confidence, not lack of talent. He gets drafted, and it seems like it gave him a ton of confidence. I think his hat trick will give him a huge chance to make this year’s WJC team.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
Calm your horses on the hype gentlemen, but i do agree this was a very good 2nd round pick, time will tell just how good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad