NFL: Aaron Rodgers wants out of Green Bay? (not anymore?)

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
What the hell are you talking about?

If the Broncos get Rodgers for their next 4 1st rounders, they should probably take it because they likely win atleast one ring with the roster they have + Aaron. Maybe even 2.

This Broncos team + Rodgers > Tampa Bay + Kansas. Atleast they would give them a real fight and Rodgers probably will be able to outlast Brady (even though I am not betting against Brady. Thought the guy would have been done 3-5 years ago).....

I am actually on team Packers in this mess. I like Rodgers but stop with the entitlement bs. This is not the NBA (and thats one of the reasons why I stopped following the league). You signed a damn lucrative longterm deal and get to play on a very, very good team. Stop being mad at your FO for not letting you play GM.

I think it was Mark Schlereth I heard saying that it's getting closer and closer to being a done deal for Denver. Not sure how much stock to put into it but it's definitely interesting. Would be an insane division with Mahomes, Rodgers and Herbert. Would you be cool with 4 1sts? If GB did decline 3rd OA it would shock me to see someone top that offer.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I think it was Mark Schlereth I heard saying that it's getting closer and closer to being a done deal for Denver. Not sure how much stock to put into it but it's definitely interesting. Would be an insane division with Mahomes, Rodgers and Herbert. Would you be cool with 4 1sts? If GB did decline 3rd OA it would shock me to see someone top that offer.

Eagles fan so I have no skin in the game. I probably would offer 3 and maybe a player if I am the Broncos at most but honestly you could probably justify more (if you get the commitment from Rodgers that he is not going to retire on you after 1-2 years).

I think these sources were bs. Its really hard to trade Rodgers capwise for the Packers and IMO it just flat out makes no sense. Rodgers will just have to suck it up or retire. And I think he has way too much left in the tank to do that in the end...

Reactions: adsfan

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
He's a Niner by tonight. Guarantee it.

It came out this morning the Niners kicked the ties on trading for him and suddenly this comes out? There's no way thats a coincidence. Makes me wonder if Rodgers go wind of it and is pissed they didn't move him

I would guarantee that you are wrong. There is no way that the Packers are trading Rodgers to an NFC team!

Green Bay would demand a price so high that other teams would wilt.

He might go to the Jets or more likely to the Raiders, next season (2022).

Green Bay doesn't have another QB who can play.

Boyle got in a few games last season. Love didn't take a snap IIRC.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Right, but it's been Green Bay's mode of operation since forever.

We routinely have all the fundamental parts in place and are frequently on the cusp of a Super Bowl, yet management is unwilling to break the bank and/or mortgage some of the future to shore up obvious weaknesses (especially on the D-side of the ball) to get us over the hump.

I mean we're reaching 30 years of Favre and Rodgers, yet only have 2 Super Bowls to show for it.

And a SB loss thanks to "I am leaving for Seattle Holmgren and I don't care to prepare the team". The Packers played an average game and lost to Denver by 7. It they played their usual game, they win by 7 instead.

You are correct about the rest.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021

I don't know if the Packers would have traded Rodgers to the 49ers on principle alone, but I'm personally of the mindset that if you have to deal a player you get the best possible deal for your team regardless of who else benefits.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don't know if the Packers would have traded Rodgers to the 49ers on principle alone, but I'm personally of the mindset that if you have to deal a player you get the best possible deal for your team regardless of who else benefits.
If I am GB I would have preferred pick 12, along with 2 future first round picks given that I already invested in Love rather than get 3OA.

again, why is Aaron waiting so long to demand a trade out. Should have done so within 48 hours of the nfc championship game.

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
If I am GB I would have preferred pick 12, along with 2 future first round picks given that I already invested in Love rather than get 3OA.

I also would prefer #12 and 2 future 1sts to #3 alone in their situation. A hypothetical Rodgers-less Packers team is mediocre (at best, if not much worse) and not even close to a contender, they would need all the pieces they could get.

again, why is Aaron waiting so long to demand a trade out. Should have done so within 48 hours of the nfc championship game.

Do we actually know for sure that he wanted out at that time?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I also would prefer #12 and 2 future 1sts to #3 alone in their situation. A hypothetical Rodgers-less Packers team is mediocre (at best, if not much worse) and not even close to a contender, they would need all the pieces they could get.

Do we actually know for sure that he wanted out at that time?
Look how quickly the Rams moved on Stafford after he asked out. Rodgers blew a chance to go there. We hear about him wanting out weeks after SF trades up to 3OA.

be decisive is my point. He comes with a big price tag in cap hit, dead money. Draft pick comp. get it out there early if you truly want out.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

Should be noted that the solution to getting Palmer out of Cincy was outright retirement....which is why other people are speculating Rodgers is considering that option too.

Good luck, Packers. Rodgers hasn’t talked to his family for a decade. He’s sitting on hundreds of millions of dollars. Good luck with this battle of who will give in first.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Good luck, Packers. Rodgers hasn’t talked to his family for a decade. He’s sitting on hundreds of millions of dollars. Good luck with this battle of who will give in first.

I'm a Packers fan who wants Rodgers to come back.. but at this point, just trade him.. you can't have this shit just linger on.

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
Look how quickly the Rams moved on Stafford after he asked out. Rodgers blew a chance to go there. We hear about him wanting out weeks after SF trades up to 3OA.

be decisive is my point. He comes with a big price tag in cap hit, dead money. Draft pick comp. get it out there early if you truly want out.

I'm not disagreeing with you necessarily, I'm just wondering out loud if Rodgers was more on the fence about wanting out in February as opposed to more strongly wanting out at this point in time.

Either way, the Packers don't have much leverage here in my opinion.

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
They probably told Rodgers who they were going to draft and he finally had enough

Certainly possible.

They could have Justin Jefferson and others last year, I truly have no idea why they not only picked Love that high but in fact traded up to do so. No one supports patience when developing a young QB more than I, and Rodgers is one of the greatest ever, but the Packers should really have gone for it while they have/had a QB playing at an MVP level since finding another Aaron Rodgers is borderline impossible.

You can always rebuild when the time comes; after all, Father Time is undefeated. However, Aaron Rodgers is simply not replaceable and I think the Packers are going to find that out the hard way.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'm not disagreeing with you necessarily, I'm just wondering out loud if Rodgers was more on the fence about wanting out in February as opposed to more strongly wanting out at this point in time.

Unfortunately with everything involved in moving a guy of his caliber and age, it takes time and planning to figure out cap hit, dead money, draft picks comp, etc.

think back to the Wilson rumblings not long after the Super Bowl. Not a peep from Rodgers.

if you truly want out, have to ask for it early. Leaving GB with a big dead cap charge, so they need to prepare for it. They have to rework contracts to move money around in order to field a roster after moving you. More willing to accommodate you if they give them that time.

think we agree that getting pick 12, whom I would then take Slater and getting 2 future firsts (late 20’s) is better than 3OA since they drafted Love. Get some talent around him. If they were talking to SF.

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

Pestilence

Jan 17, 2016
Köklax, Finland

Depends on how serious Rodgers is, but he turns 38 this year so deciding to retire might be quite final. Chance of not ever playing football again, chance of not ever getting any chance at the Super Bowl or personal awards and having to return over 30 million bucks is something as a leverage.

Anyway, of the three teams Rodgers said he could be traded to, 49ers took a QB in the draft and Broncos or Raiders aren't a top QB away from the Super Bowl, while Packers made the championship game two times in a row. Anywhere he goes it's likely they'll do worse than GB with Rodgers under the center. It's not like Packers have been bottom dwellers for the past decade.

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
Depends on how serious Rodgers is, but he turns 38 this year so deciding to retire might be quite final. Chance of not ever playing football again, chance of not ever getting any chance at the Super Bowl or personal awards and having to return over 30 million bucks is something as a leverage.

True, but I think the Packers have more to lose here than Rodgers does no matter which way you look at it.

Anyway, of the three teams Rodgers said he could be traded to, 49ers took a QB in the draft and Broncos or Raiders aren't a top QB away from the Super Bowl, while Packers made the championship game two times in a row. Anywhere he goes it's likely they'll do worse than GB with Rodgers under the center. It's not like Packers have been bottom dwellers for the past decade.

Yeah I'm not sure GB would have ever traded him to SF. I would have easily offered the #3OA+ for Rodgers if I were SF because that team is ready to win now. A healthy SF team with Rodgers under center...well, that's frankly unfair. Either way that ship has sailed. Both Denver and LV are playoff teams with Rodgers under center IMO and I think the Raiders could surprise, but certainly neither team would hold a candle to the aforementioned Rodgers-led SF team.

GB hasn't been a cellar dweller, yeah, but a lot of the credit for that goes to Rodgers. I look at GB's roster without Rodgers and I see bright spots of talent surrounded by a definite lack of depth that was partially masked by the presence of a generational talent at the game's most important position. I'm not a Packers fan or hater, but that's how I see it.

Reactions: Pestilence

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
It's pretty silly that Rodgers is still upset over the Love pick, I am not a Tom Brady fan by any means but the Pats drafted like 10 QB's while he was in NE including a few guys in the 2nd/3rd/4th rounds, you never saw him bitch and moan about it, Rodgers is an all time great and a surefire HOF'er but his handling of this has been very selfish. Brady has often taken less $ to help the team, Big Ben has renegotiated his contract multiple times to help the Steelers get cap room, hell Mahomes has already re-done some of his monster deal to help the Chiefs just a year after signing it, to me it just makes Rodgers look like a whiner either wants to get his way or he is going to take his ball and go home

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018

Colin Cowherd was talking about this yesterday.

He was basically saying that he thinks Rodgers waited until the draft (the 1 year anniversary of the Packers drafting Love) on purpose in order to "humiliate the Packers" as revenge for him feeling humiliated when they drafted Love.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

He was basically saying that he thinks Rodgers waited until the draft (the 1 year anniversary of the Packers drafting Love) on purpose in order to "humiliate the Packers" as revenge for him feeling humiliated when they drafted Love.
Is that going to help get him traded if that is his end game? Asking for a trade instantly hurts GB due to the dead cap aka the deals with wentz, Goff, stafford.

Blueblood9

Dec 11, 2011
Nashville, TN
If he comes to washinton he will win a superbowl win a super bowl. Top 5 D McLaurin and Samuels with Thomas as TE and Gibson in the backfield.

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021

That...definitely does sound like something Cowherd would say.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
One thing Rodgers doesn't seem to realize is that leaving GB means he isn't automatically given playoff berth and potential bye week

From that standpoint no team can really match Packers playing in NFC North

They probably told Rodgers who they were going to draft and he finally had enough

The Packers needed CB

Rodgers should celebrate that pick after what happened in NFC Championship game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad