NFL: Aaron Rodgers wants out of Green Bay? (not anymore?)

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Colin Cowherd was talking about this yesterday.

He was basically saying that he thinks Rodgers waited until the draft (the 1 year anniversary of the Packers drafting Love) on purpose in order to "humiliate the Packers" as revenge for him feeling humiliated when they drafted Love.
Why would AROD feel humiliated over the Packers drafting Love?

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Rodgers felt disrespected because the Packers were clearly only a piece or two away from being a legit championship contender. The Packers decided he was wrong, and basically told him he had an expiry date by taking what they think was his successor. Obviously those hard feelings were amplified when the Packers came up just short again in the NFC title game.

Rodgers is definitely being a bit of a prick here and he might take things a bit too personally, but I understand the logic at least.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Rodgers felt disrespected because the Packers were clearly only a piece or two away from being a legit championship contender. The Packers decided he was wrong, and basically told him he had an expiry date by taking what they think was his successor. Obviously those hard feelings were amplified when the Packers came up just short again in the NFC title game.

Rodgers is definitely being a bit of a prick here and he might take things a bit too personally, but I understand the logic at least.
If ARod wants to move on, I will back him all the way. He's given the Packers plenty. Now, when they go out and draft a future replacement, when he has some productive years left, I get him thinking, hey, are we trying to win now or not.

In his 12 seasons of play prior to the selection of Love, Rodgers played in at least 15 games in 10/12 years. He was limited to 9 games in 2013 and 7 games in 2017 due to shoulder/collar bone injuries. So, he came back from injury both times.

This is NOT a draft a guy under Brady like a Mallett in round 3 or a Jimmy G in round 2 and hope they develop. For a team like GB, they need their 1st round pick to play and contribute. Lose a close game in the Championship game and you're left wondering, man, if we only had another WR like Higgins, Pittman, Shenault, Hamler or some secondary help. Or trade up with the Raiders who did want to drop down as they wanted Arnette, and grab a better WR like Jefferson.

But, I don't support how ARod is going about this. If you want out, let GB know early so that you can get out.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I don't really understand why Rodgers would want to be in Denver.

This is hardly the same situation that Manning waltzed into.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Has he given a list officially? I saw videos with ARod and the broncos, raiders, niners logos but LV gave Carr. SF already moved 3 firsts to get Lance. If not Denver who else makes sense?

maybe Washington due to the weak division? NE with all their moves?

again Rodgers left this demand so late in the process.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Rodgers doesn't have a no trade clause or anything, so he can want to go to Denver all he wants.. He will go where he gets traded unless he retires and takes a year off.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Rodgers doesn't have a no trade clause or anything, so he can want to go to Denver all he wants.. He will go where he gets traded unless he retires and takes a year off.

Yes and no. If he gets traded to somewhere he doesn't like, he can hold out or threaten to retire, just like he's talking about doing now. That will turn off a lot of teams who are thinking about trading a 1st round pick + more for Rodgers.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Has he given a list officially? I saw videos with ARod and the broncos, raiders, niners logos but LV gave Carr. SF already moved 3 firsts to get Lance. If not Denver who else makes sense?

maybe Washington due to the weak division? NE with all their moves?

again Rodgers left this demand so late in the process.

I like the Washington pick. They have a defense that can contend and I think a better offense than Denver too. Plus they play in a weak division as you said. NE, he may bristle at the idea of keeping the seat warm for Mac Jones but Belichick doesn't tolerate bullcrap from any player no matter how high profile so I don't know.

Yes and no. If he gets traded to somewhere he doesn't like, he can hold out or threaten to retire, just like he's talking about doing now. That will turn off a lot of teams who are thinking about trading a 1st round pick + more for Rodgers.

Agreed. He may not have a NTC but if he refuses to report to other than a few teams he might as well have one.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Fair point on the refusal to report.

As a Green Bay fan, you hope he can come back one more year and do it in solidarity for guys like Jones, Adams and Lewis who all agreed to come back to try to win it all.

But if that can't be done, I would rather trade him and move on, losing a franchise QB for nothing is the worst.

That being said, I think I know they will call the bluff and he will retire.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Fair point on the refusal to report.

As a Green Bay fan, you hope he can come back one more year and do it in solidarity for guys like Jones, Adams and Lewis who all agreed to come back to try to win it all.

But if that can't be done, I would rather trade him and move on, losing a franchise QB for nothing is the worst.

That being said, I think I know they will call the bluff and he will retire.
How many years is he going to play? That's really going to determine the return. He is 37 now, 38 in December. I don't get the "I want to play as long as Brady is playing" vibe from him. I think any team trading for him should go into a trade thinking he's got 3 seasons in him. 2021, 2022, 2023. Anything beyond that is a bonus.

Rodgers sounds like he wants to play out west. Again, that is lost opportunties in the Rams/49ers for not getting this opened up early. Seattle has Wilson, but Wilson has a NTC so he's not going to GB. AZ has Murray. LAC has Herbert.

Down to Denver and Las Vegas. Vegas, needs a massive improvement on D. See if their changes this off-season with Gus Bradley at the helm payoff. Plus, they are rebuilding their O-Line moving off 3 veterans in Brown, Jackson, Hudson. Not ideal situation for a 37 year old QB.

Thus, it leaves Denver. I think Bridgewater goes to give Love a veteran to support him. I think for sure we are talking the 2022 and 2023 first round picks. Anything else is really up to how long they feel and ARod tells them that he wants to continue playing. If you are GB, to help Love out now, maybe you ask for one of Hamler or Jeudy as well as both are on rookie contracts.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
How many years is he going to play? That's really going to determine the return. He is 37 now, 38 in December. I don't get the "I want to play as long as Brady is playing" vibe from him. I think any team trading for him should go into a trade thinking he's got 3 seasons in him. 2021, 2022, 2023. Anything beyond that is a bonus.

Rodgers sounds like he wants to play out west. Again, that is lost opportunties in the Rams/49ers for not getting this opened up early. Seattle has Wilson, but Wilson has a NTC so he's not going to GB. AZ has Murray. LAC has Herbert.

Down to Denver and Las Vegas. Vegas, needs a massive improvement on D. See if their changes this off-season with Gus Bradley at the helm payoff. Plus, they are rebuilding their O-Line moving off 3 veterans in Brown, Jackson, Hudson. Not ideal situation for a 37 year old QB.

Thus, it leaves Denver. I think Bridgewater goes to give Love a veteran to support him. I think for sure we are talking the 2022 and 2023 first round picks. Anything else is really up to how long they feel and ARod tells them that he wants to continue playing. If you are GB, to help Love out now, maybe you ask for one of Hamler or Jeudy as well as both are on rookie contracts.

That's the thing.. I think he can play 2-3 more years. But I realistically saw this being the last year in Green Bay either way.

I think the announcement was a bit of a dagger to the team but they have been trying to resolve for weeks. So I think we know their appetite to trade Rodgers isn't there because the opportunity would have been there to really help out Love by trading Rodgers to SF or Denver. They could have ended up with Pitts at TE or added a top end OT at the Broncos pick.

Any trade now, the first round pick is gonna get punted to the bottom of the first because of Rodgers being there.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That's the thing.. I think he can play 2-3 more years. But I realistically saw this being the last year in Green Bay either way.

I think the announcement was a bit of a dagger to the team but they have been trying to resolve for weeks. So I think we know their appetite to trade Rodgers isn't there because the opportunity would have been there to really help out Love by trading Rodgers to SF or Denver. They could have ended up with Pitts at TE or added a top end OT at the Broncos pick.

Any trade now, the first round pick is gonna get punted to the bottom of the first because of Rodgers being there.
There is also the dead cap charge on Rodgers, which the Packers would have to eat the full amount on any trade made prior to June 1. But, without him, and playing a pretty raw Love, the Packers are not contending anyways, so might as well just eat it. Thus, my suggestion of them asking for Jeudy/Hamler in return as you would expect Denver to make the playoffs with ARod and draft in the mid 20's over the next 2 years.

I will be interested in seeing whether new contracts in the future for Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray, etc. will be structured differently than how they typically have been. Maybe move away from big Signing Bonuses to Guaranteed base salary of future years to reduce the dead cap charge if a trade is forced upon the team. Stafford, Goff, Wentz already moved with big dead cap charges left on their original team plus the unhappiness of Rodgers, Wilson, Watson. And ATL having to eat massive dead cap on Ryan if they moved off him, thus pretty much eliminated their option of drafting a QB at #4.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Broncos are an elite QB from being a powerhouse.

You take a top 5 D with decent offensive pieces and add the reining MVP and they could be a favorite to win it all.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I don’t know about his viewings on Denver as a team

but Rodgers has been living in Boulder for the past month.
His fiancé lives there part time.
So there is a connection from his personal life standpoint I guess.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
If Rodgers is serious about winning he's not going to Denver, or Vegas for that matter. He's going to leave a cupcake division where he's basically guaranteed a division title and at minimum 11 wins a season? For a division that's an absolute grinder with Mahomes, a resurgent Chargers and and the Raiders or Broncos?

San Francisco was the only one that made sense and i can't see them being interested now even if Lance is a year or two away from being a starter.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If Rodgers is serious about winning he's not going to Denver, or Vegas for that matter. He's going to leave a cupcake division where he's basically guaranteed a division title and at minimum 11 wins a season? For a division that's an absolute grinder with Mahomes, a resurgent Chargers and and the Raiders or Broncos?

San Francisco was the only one that made sense and i can't see them being interested now even if Lance is a year or two away from being a starter.
Rams and 49ers got new QBs and did it this off-season. If ARod wanted to go out west, his missed the boat on those 2 options. Who knows what ARod wants. Look at Wilson and his 4 team option. Vegas, Chicago, New Orleans, and Dallas. Only NO would be considered a SB team.

SF would have made the most sense pre Miami trade.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Rodgers to Washington would be interesting. Solid up and coming defense and they are putting together the pieces on offensive side of the ball. Division isn't overly difficult to get out of either.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

BTW, Adams might be the best WR in the NFL and he's going into the final year of his contract as the 18th highest paid WR in terms of average salary.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
If this is true, then that is ridiculous.

Kumerow wasn't with Green Bay for long, and he last played for Green Bay 3 teams ago. He wasn't even a starter for the Packers.

It seems like Rodgers is acting like that girlfriend who at the end of the relationship starts bringing up everything they got annoyed with over the last 3-5 years.

"You know, I never liked how you dressed".

"You know, I never liked how you spent Thursday nights out with your boys".

"You know, I never liked the car you drove".

Etc., etc., etc.

The unfortunate part for the Packers is that once a relationship gets to this point, where small petty annoyances are grieved, there is usually no salvaging things.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
If this is true, then that is ridiculous.

Kumerow wasn't with Green Bay for long, and he last played for Green Bay 3 teams ago. He wasn't even a starter for the Packers.

If you read the story, it has nothing to do with a personal attachment to Kumerow -- it has to do with Rodgers feeling that he should have been more part of personnel decisions, and yet being excluded. Feeling 'disrespected' by the organization seems to be the trend with his grievance here. In the case of Kumerow, the Packers apparently cut the guy the day after Rodgers publicly went out of his way to praise the guy, which he obviously took as a bit of a slap in the face and as more evidence that the organization doesn't care about his opinions, even when it comes with the guys Rodgers throw the ball too.

Everything coming out just seems to indicate that Rodgers has a really big ego, and there have been several moments in which the organization has basically disregarded what he thinks.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
If you read the story, it has nothing to do with a personal attachment to Kumerow -- it has to do with Rodgers feeling that he should have been more part of personnel decisions, and yet being excluded. Feeling 'disrespected' by the organization seems to be the trend with his grievance here. In the case of Kumerow, the Packers apparently cut the guy the day after Rodgers publicly went out of his way to praise the guy, which he obviously took as a bit of a slap in the face and as more evidence that the organization doesn't care about his opinions, even when it comes with the guys Rodgers throw the ball too.

Everything coming out just seems to indicate that Rodgers has a really big ego, and there have been several moments in which the organization has basically disregarded what he thinks.

Since they've relied upon him for so long and he has played at such an incredibly high level despite not always being surrounded by the best team, he definitely has an extremely high sense of self-importance. Whether or not someone thinks his self-worth is exaggerated or not depends on what side of the fence you're on.

The only thing everyone can agree on is that if Rodgers is moved, Green Bay is completely f***ed without him in the short-term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad