OT: A Visitors Guide To Tampa: All Questions Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
I hope the rest of the games are a better experience. That kind of behavior I was hoping would just stay at Bucs games.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
You should go to a Rangers game at MSG sometime. You will get a whole new perspective of what is Classless and Rude.

Been there, done that. Not a single problem at MSG, even with my Habs jersey. Having said that, I know that any isolated experience -- either good or bad -- isn't representative of an entire fan base. If I can give any general advice, it's for visitors to act as respectfully as they would in anyone else's home. I've been to a few arenas to watch my Habs, and I love talking to locals, exchanging friendly hockey talk, and always remembering that I'm a temporary ambassador for my team's fans. Act nice, you get nice in return; act entitled, you get trash in return. Notwithstanding the few drunken idiots, I've found most local fans enjoy their role as 'hosts' and are great to talk to.

Anyway, I'm about to do the drive from east coast Florida to Tampa for tonight's game, and am looking forward to seeing a new arena and, I hope, getting to know some cool Tampa fans. Depending on the game itself, I might be doing it from the bar...

wxkid23

Oct 7, 2014
Kissimmee, FL
Every group of fans have bad apples. Personally I was expecting to be absolutely harassed in Chicago this year and I didn't have so much as one word said to me the entire night! Oh... except for this ****** who thought I cut the line on his girlfriend for the bar.

All three games I have been to in Minnesota the fans have been great... and I don't have good experience with Twins fans in baseball. Dallas has been great. St. Louis has by far been the worst... probably because half of my section appeared to be deeply intoxicated

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
A thank-you to Hoek for great advice. As he suggested, we headed for the Channelside Bay Plaza, actually found street parking for $4 (very lucky), walked around the area, had a nice dinner, and walked five minutes to Amalie for the game. Then enjoyed a post-game drink at an outdoor bar across from the arena.

Amalie might be one of the nicest arenas I've seen. Clean, well-organized and with a classy hockey vibe. Very impressed with the building, the pregame, the scoreboard, the in-between period commentary, etc.. All first-rate. Also loved the organist playing his stacked bank of keys. Sat amongst an older crowd of die-hard (and very vocal) Bolts fans in Sect. 330 and had a great time. Nothing but friendly conversation and good wishes. As expected, there were plenty of Habs jerseys outside and in the arena, but even the single guy bellowing "SUBBAN SUCKS" every time he touched the puck and a group of younger Habs fans shouting "Ole ole" as they marched out afterwards (personally, I can't stand it) both fan bases hung out together enjoying the humid night.

Waiting for my wife to wake up, then we'll do a little exploring before heading back east to see tonight's Habs/Panthers game. Been to Sunrise plenty of times and... no offence to their arena and fans, but Tampa is on another stratosphere.

R3farms

Jan 6, 2016
Do the visiting team walk through the front doors or go around back? Im going in Feb and want to see the Penguins

The Jumping Shrimp

Oct 28, 2009
Do the visiting team walk through the front doors or go around back? Im going in Feb and want to see the Penguins

If you're only in town for the game and you're looking at making it a night out, get yourself a couple of tickets in the first two rows and you'll get access to the Lexus Lounge. Unlimited food, booze, with access to the lounge bathrooms (a bigger perk than it sounds especially if you're going to avail of the unlimited booze). The visiting team always leaves through the Lexus Lounge after the game.

It'll run you a few bucks but it's a great night out especially if you're on a guys trip and you're planning on making a night of it. Hit the arena extra early, have supper and get on 'er. The lads from the Penguins will gladly stop by for a few autographs on the way out.

R3farms

Jan 6, 2016
Best Place to meet visiting Teams In Tampa

I'm coming up for the Pittsburgh game and wanted to know the inside scoop of where the team stays, ext.

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
I'm coming up for the Pittsburgh game and wanted to know the inside scoop of where the team stays, ext.

Just went to a CBJ game there and by chance stayed at the same hotel as they did which was the Marriott. They walked from the arena to the hotel around 12:00 or a little after and then walked back to the arena between 4:00-5:00. My 10yo got to meet all of the players, coaches and announcers.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Got tickets to see the Leafs (for my wife.. sigh) when we are visiting Lakeland in two weeks.

Any suggestions on parking when coming from Lakeland?

The Amelie website says the Brown lot is recommended from Lakeland.. but man it sure seems expensive.. $20 US for parking.

The CAD/USD exchange rate is killer right now too, kicked the price of tix up a bunch.

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013
Got tickets to see the Leafs (for my wife.. sigh) when we are visiting Lakeland in two weeks.

Any suggestions on parking when coming from Lakeland?

The Amelie website says the Brown lot is recommended from Lakeland.. but man it sure seems expensive.. $20 US for parking.

The CAD/USD exchange rate is killer right now too, kicked the price of tix up a bunch.

I'm not really sure it matters where you are coming from. I always park in the whiting street parking garage. Usually $10-$12 dollars and a few blocks from the arena.

If the game is on the weekend and you want to walk, there's free parking for meters if you can find one.

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
I am visiting the in-laws this week and we're going to the game tomorrow. We're coming up from Bradenton and I am just curious what we might be looking at as far as traffic and how much time we should have put aside for the trip up there. We have a parking pass doe the South Regional Garage if that makes a difference.

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013
I am visiting the in-laws this week and we're going to the game tomorrow. We're coming up from Bradenton and I am just curious what we might be looking at as far as traffic and how much time we should have put aside for the trip up there. We have a parking pass doe the South Regional Garage if that makes a difference.

It's a Friday afternoon so there's going to be traffic everywhere. Google will give you a fairly accurate time estimate but I would leave 10 minutes early anyways.

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
It's a Friday afternoon so there's going to be traffic everywhere. Google will give you a fairly accurate time estimate but I would leave 10 minutes early anyways.

Google says it takes about an hour from Bradenton.. at that time period we'd maybe be leaving and it still says it would take an hour or so.. so we might make it 1.5 hour early.. possibly 2 hours early.

It's just going to be me and the father in-law going to the game.. any suggestions for things to do before the game if we get there a little early?

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013
Google says it takes about an hour from Bradenton.. at that time period we'd maybe be leaving and it still says it would take an hour or so.. so we might make it 1.5 hour early.. possibly 2 hours early.

It's just going to be me and the father in-law going to the game.. any suggestions for things to do before the game if we get there a little early?

Yeah I'm just not sure from Bradenton. Did you do arrives by time in google maps?

As for things to do, if you don't get there incredibly early my friends and I usually hang out right outside of the arena. There's usually a band playing, beer, food etc. I think the weather is going to be ugly tomorrow though.

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
Yeah I'm just not sure from Bradenton. Did you do arrives by time in google maps?

As for things to do, if you don't get there incredibly early my friends and I usually hang out right outside of the arena. There's usually a band playing, beer, food etc. I think the weather is going to be ugly tomorrow though.

Yeah google maps showed 75 having little to no traffic at a 5-6pm departure..
My father in-law isnt a hockey fan or anything, but he thought it would be a nice 'bonding' experience to go to a game with me.. hah.. I'm also a Pens fan, so hanging out with a bunch of Tampa fans doesn't seem like a good idea (though it couldn't get any worse than going to a Pens game in Philly, which I am very used to, since I live there)

Is there any good restaurants near by? sorry I am clearly unfamiliar with anything Tampa.. so I don't know what would be around

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013
Yeah google maps showed 75 having little to no traffic at a 5-6pm departure..
My father in-law isnt a hockey fan or anything, but he thought it would be a nice 'bonding' experience to go to a game with me.. hah.. I'm also a Pens fan, so hanging out with a bunch of Tampa fans doesn't seem like a good idea (though it couldn't get any worse than going to a Pens game in Philly, which I am very used to, since I live there)

Is there any good restaurants near by? sorry I am clearly unfamiliar with anything Tampa.. so I don't know what would be around

You really won't have any trouble with Tampa fans, we're used to having visiting fans in our Arena.

If you google Channelside, it's within walking distance and has restaurants/bars. It's really not the greatest place on earth but probably the closest for food. Downtown Tampa itself has a few good places but is a bit farther.

I rarely do anything besides go to the Arena on gamedays so somebody might have a better answer.

The layout of Downtown Tampa and the Arena really isn't the greatest, although that will all be changing within the next few years thanks to Jeff Vinik.

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
You really won't have any trouble with Tampa fans, we're used to having visiting fans in our Arena.

If you google Channelside, it's within walking distance and has restaurants/bars. It's really not the greatest place on earth but probably the closest for food. Downtown Tampa itself has a few good places but is a bit farther.

I rarely do anything besides go to the Arena on gamedays so somebody might have a better answer.

The layout of Downtown Tampa and the Arena really isn't the greatest, although that will all be changing within the next few years thanks to Jeff Vinik.

so how is traffic leaving the arena? does it get really congested?

Kazbek

Jan 17, 2016
Oilers in Tampa

Hey Lightning fans, my gf and I drove down from Canada to catch the Oilers vs Tampa game on Tuesday just wondering if anyone could give me any info on how I could get some autographs or pics from both teams. I figure you guys would know the best way to get them and the best location. Any info would be very much appreciated.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I'm planning on going the march 31st game against the Habs. Is there a particular section where the away fans (or just Habs fans) usually sit?

Most away fans tend to sit over behind the net the Bolts defend twice. Sections 122-126.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad