OT: A Visitors Guide To Tampa: All Questions Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
The watch party for game 6 is going to be inside Amalie, I believe.

Nope. Curtis Hixon park because I think there is an event at Amalie on Monday. Here is the link with the details:

http://lightning.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=86544

WatchParty_600x600_CHI_Game3.jpg.jpeg

GO BOLTS!!!!!

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009

Look Up

Don't be a scan tool
Oct 3, 2013
The Marriott Waterside is almost next door. Another close by choice is the Westin Harbour Island.

Visiting teams will typically stay at either hotel, and some players will walk to arena.

Another close-by choice is the Embassy Suites Tampa Downtown.

All of these are a short 5 - 10 minute walk from the arena.

If you have a car, you of course will have many more options.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
The Marriott Waterside is almost next door. Another close by choice is the Westin Harbour Island.

Visiting teams will typically stay at either hotel, and some players will walk to arena.

Another close-by choice is the Embassy Suites Tampa Downtown.

All of these are a short 5 - 10 minute walk from the arena.

If you have a car, you of course will have many more options.

Thanks! We'll have a car but I plan to drink while at the games. ;)

Junipero

Jun 11, 2003
Paradise, NL
I'm heading to Tampa Bay next week and will be going to some Lightning games. I will definitely be picking up some Bolts merchandise (possibly a home jersey). I expect that there'll be tons of options at the team store. But if wanted to get some NHL gear of other teams, what are my options? I doubt the team store would carry stuff from visiting teams or opponents. Are there any good stores nearby that sell NHL stuff?

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
CBJ fan here. Moving to the Punta Gorda area tomorrow. Hoping to check out the bolts/Jackets game in a few days. Never been to the arena or area before.. Taking my girlfriend to her second game ever.

How's parking ? How's the arena/what can we expect? Doesn't seem too bad of a drive from Punta Gorda

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Hey all -- Wife and I are heading to Tampa for the Habs game next week. Hoping to get to the arena earlier and have an early dinner. Are there restaurants around the area? Thanks!

And thanks to the post above for answering the parking question.

Dog

Also heading to Tampa for the game vs the Habs. Does anybody have any information about morning skates for either teams?

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Hey all -- Wife and I are heading to Tampa for the Habs game next week. Hoping to get to the arena earlier and have an early dinner. Are there restaurants around the area? Thanks!

And thanks to the post above for answering the parking question.

There's a bunch of restaurants nearby in the Channelside Bay Plaza (http://www.channelsidebayplaza.com/), as well as sports bars like Ferg's across the street. The Columbia Cafe, a spin off of the famous Columbia Restaurant, is also close by in the Tampa Bay History Center if you're looking for something authentic and local (Cuban food!).

Also heading to Tampa for the game vs the Habs. Does anybody have any information about morning skates for either teams?

I tried searching for info but I guess it's not made public. I guess you have to call and find out if they even let people attend.

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
Not trying to start a flame war but just went to the CBJ game in Tampa and it was the worst road game I have ever been to. The people around me were awful and I am pretty sure they were season ticket holders. I was in 128 so keep that in mind when getting tickets. The people around you can make or break your experience. My 10yo was almost in tears and it was not because of the score although I'm sure that didn't help.
Tonight in FL was a much better experience. Thank God because another experience like last night would have ruined our trip.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Not trying to start a flame war but just went to the CBJ game in Tampa and it was the worst road game I have ever been to. The people around me were awful and I am pretty sure they were season ticket holders. I was in 128 so keep that in mind when getting tickets. The people around you can make or break your experience. My 10yo was almost in tears and it was not because of the score although I'm sure that didn't help.
Tonight in FL was a much better experience. Thank God because another experience like last night would have ruined our trip.

Okay. Do you want to tell us what actually happened or?

EDIT: Or are we supposed to apologize? Storm down to 128 and berate the season ticket holders? I'm really lost as to what we're supposed to do about this.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
That's pretty disappointing to hear. Maybe they were the type of fans that switch into Penguins or Flyers gear when their team comes to town. Yeah, I'm gonna blame it on that. :P

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
Okay. Do you want to tell us what actually happened or?

EDIT: Or are we supposed to apologize? Storm down to 128 and berate the season ticket holders? I'm really lost as to what we're supposed to do about this.

Wasnt going to get into it but since you came at me that way here was my experience.

1. A guy grabbed my jersey and was pulling it with everything he had as I was holding it up for the camera. I asked him to let go and he kept pulling. I told him to let go and he kept pulling. Finally he let go. I never touched anyone, said anything bad about anyone or your team. I was just supporting my team.
2. After that I had multiple people around me make disparaging remarks.
3. The cameraman approached the usher to get ME kicked out because I "ruined" his shot.
4. The guy behind me kept making sexual jokes about the Jackets with a 10yo Jackets fan right in front of him.
5. Multiple people around me cheered when one of the CBJ was injured. I asked them why they were cheering and they said because it was funny.
6. The guy behind me said "We are not friendly" in a semi threatening way.
7. The guy beside me told us to not come back to Tampa.

So there you go. We traveled a long way and spent a lot of money in Tampa to get treated like crap. Of course it can happen anywhere, but that was our experience. As I said in the original post, the people directly around you can make it break your experience and I was just letting other visitors know what I experienced.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
That's really ****** and inexcusable. :( I'm really upset that happened as I don't want us to develop that sort of reputation. I would contact Amalie Arena with your experience as I'm sure Jeff Vinik does NOT want that repeated. Sounds like some jackasses got some big heads thinking they could pick on Columbus fans since there aren't as many of them as other visiting teams. Not cool. I mean the last couple things maybe aren't a big deal by themselves but combined with grabbing your stuff and making sexual jokes is too much.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Wasnt going to get into it but since you came at me that way here was my experience.

1. A guy grabbed my jersey and was pulling it with everything he had as I was holding it up for the camera. I asked him to let go and he kept pulling. I told him to let go and he kept pulling. Finally he let go. I never touched anyone, said anything bad about anyone or your team. I was just supporting my team.
3. The cameraman approached the usher to get ME kicked out because I "ruined" his shot.
4. The guy behind me kept making sexual jokes about the Jackets with a 10yo Jackets fan right in front of him.
5. Multiple people around me cheered when one of the CBJ was injured. I asked them why they were cheering and they said because it was funny.

So there you go. We traveled a long way and spent a lot of money in Tampa to get treated like crap. Of course it can happen anywhere, but that was our experience. As I said in the original post, the people directly around you can make it break your experience and I was just letting other visitors know what I experienced.

That just doesn't sound like Tampa fans at all. Sorry to hear about that, but it sounds like you've experienced something that literally no one else has in Tampa.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013

I'd prefer it be known the exact nature of what happened, personally. I'm sorry that happened to you and your child.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
It's bound to happen eventually but doesn't mean we have to tolerate it. As long as a tone is set against it, it will continue to be a rare occurrence.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

You should go to a Rangers game at MSG sometime. You will get a whole new perspective of what is Classless and Rude.

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
I appreciate the sentiment but I was really not looking for people on this board to apologize for other people's behavior. But again thanks for your thoughts.
Having been a season ticket holder for the CBJ I have seen all sorts of behavior by home and away fans so it's nothing new to me.
We are on a bucket list item to see the Jackets in every arena in the league. Last night in FL was a great experience even though the Jackets looked like crap again. The fans were great. We talked about the leagues that our sons were in and hockey in general.
You guys have a good rest of the season and don't take winning for granted. Trust me, as a Jackets fan, winning a single game is an accomplishment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad