OT: A Visitors Guide To Tampa: All Questions Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BogsDiamond

Anybody get 2 U yet?
Mar 16, 2008
I do that all the time. Stay in Orlando with the family and go to a couple of games. It is very easy. Just take route 4 heading west to the arena. With no traffic will take you a little less than an hour. Would just give yourself a little extra time due to traffic.

The arena is nice, very fan friendly like Thunder Alley.

Thanks!

My 10YO son is going to be thrilled. He's going to wear his Carey Price jersey but I'm sure he'll be asking for a TB sweater for Christmas too, haha.

Thanks again!

LSCardeal

May 8, 2015
São Paulo
Hi, everyone. My wife wants to spend our vacation in Orlando and I intend to go to some Tampa Bay Lightning games. I'm a Brazilian Bolts fan so I've never been to a hockey game before. Is there something I must know? Can you help me with the basics, please?

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Hi, everyone. My wife wants to spend our vacation in Orlando and I intend to go to some Tampa Bay Lightning games. I'm a Brazilian Bolts fan so I've never been to a hockey game before. Is there something I must know? Can you help me with the basics, please?

From my experience:

Before games there's usually a lot of stuff going on around the arena (live bands, video shows, giveaways). So be there an hour early or so. Go grab a beer and a hotdog and enjoy it, talk to some fans, take pictures in front of the statute and arena and so on. About half an hour before the game go to your seats, watch the players warm up (maybe take some more pictures) and watch the pre-game show and anthem. During intermission go grab some Poutine or another beer. After the game go check out the party deck on the roof, take in Tampa's skyline and enjoy some more live music and food (also a good way to avoid traffic after the game). Before and/or after the game go check out the fan store and get yourself a hat or a shirt or a jersey to complete the experience.

LSCardeal

May 8, 2015
São Paulo
From my experience:

Before games there's usually a lot of stuff going on around the arena (live bands, video shows, giveaways). So be there an hour early or so. Go grab a beer and a hotdog and enjoy it, talk to some fans, take pictures in front of the statute and arena and so on. About half an hour before the game go to your seats, watch the players warm up (maybe take some more pictures) and watch the pre-game show and anthem. During intermission go grab some Poutine or another beer. After the game go check out the party deck on the roof, take in Tampa's skyline and enjoy some more live music and food (also a good way to avoid traffic after the game). Before and/or after the game go check out the fan store and get yourself a hat or a shirt or a jersey to complete the experience.

Thank you so much! :)

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
Hey

The internet where I'm currently located is pretty poor, and filter's all the good ticket sites.

what's the general value of a ticket, come the end of March/start of April? Me and the gf are coming over to Orlando and I'd love to catch a Lightning game (Ideally, against Detroit). What sort of face value am I looking at? Not particularly bothered about having great seats - unless you need good seats cos the arena is rubbish!

Cheers

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Have visited Tampa a number of times but planning a all hockey trip this time round. Planning on getting to Tampa on Dec 28 and catching three games thru New Years Eve. I would like to stay within walking distance of Amalie Arena. And not having to use my carry permit to stay safe. In the past have traveled in to Tampa for activities and this time I do not want to go that route. SO any suggestions would be appreciated.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
i love the A Loft right on the riverwalk...stayed there one of the last times before moving down here...probably half mile walk down the riverwalk...I've never feared anything walking around the riverwalk and the area...

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
There's an handful of hotels in walking distance. Also the Embassy Suites and Marriott which are literally next to the arena depending how much you're willing to pay. The area is pretty safe unless you're planning on partying super late in Ybor or something. The Aloft looks really neat though, never heard of it before, but looks similar to the sort of places I stay when I travel, and the riverwalk is nice so I'd recommend it.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Don't get caught in a trap, though - while it is changing, downtown Tampa is still relatively dead. If you're looking for fun, exploration, night life, and so on, Downtown Tampa isn't really the place for all of that. You'll find some newer bars and restaurants that have opened which are fantastic, but there really isn't a lot yet.

If you want to really see sun and explore and everything, stay in St. Petersburg and rent a car or something. Downtown St. Petersburg is 100x more fun than Downtown Tampa, more bars, more nightlife, more art, more water, more everything. The drive to the arena isn't bad at all, and plenty of places to get cocktails at before and after the game.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I would agree with that, but Byrddog did say it was an "all hockey" trip. :D

Downtown Tampa is a little better than it used to be but still a far cry from a destination on its own yet. That's what Vinik's working on.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Well attended my first Lighting game. Couldn't believe it. Amazing arena and atmosphere, amazing fans and I had a great time. I can't stress that enough. The cabbie gave me the gears the whole way to the arena as soon as he found out I was a Pens fan (about 60 seconds in) - it was great! And even the fans in the arena were cool. It's too bad I'm a Pens fan... because I could easily convert if I lived in TB. Spent way too much money, but had an absolute blast. Can't wait for the TB/FLA game next week.

Anyone who says hockey can't "work" in the southern US, doesn't have a clue what they're talking about. That or they've never been to Tampa.

DaGoose

Jul 22, 2015
Well attended my first Lighting game. Couldn't believe it. Amazing arena and atmosphere, amazing fans and I had a great time. I can't stress that enough. The cabbie gave me the gears the whole way to the arena as soon as he found out I was a Pens fan (about 60 seconds in) - it was great! And even the fans in the arena were cool. It's too bad I'm a Pens fan... because I could easily convert if I lived in TB. Spent way too much money, but had an absolute blast. Can't wait for the TB/FLA game next week.

Anyone who says hockey can't "work" in the southern US, doesn't have a clue what they're talking about. That or they've never been to Tampa.

I was also at the game. Wore my Wings jersey. Caught some friendly flack which was funny. Wings are my #1 team, I'm from Michigan. Bolts are my #2 team, I live here now.

I've had more fun attending games at Amalie compared to Joe Louis. Of course the weather plays a factor, but Thunder Alley is great. It gets LOUD in Amalie. The arena is set up perfectly. Only thing that sucks is the outrageous prices for beer.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I was also at the game. Wore my Wings jersey. Caught some friendly flack which was funny. Wings are my #1 team, I'm from Michigan. Bolts are my #2 team, I live here now.

I've had more fun attending games at Amalie compared to Joe Louis. Of course the weather plays a factor, but Thunder Alley is great. It gets LOUD in Amalie. The arena is set up perfectly. Only thing that sucks is the outrageous prices for beer.

Yeah those 1 pint beers add up quickly! Did the math this morning... spent over twice my ticket price in beer and food. And funny enough never even made it to my seat! Spent the whole game on the balcony under the organ with a pair of ex DET fans who retired in TB and a young die hard DET/FLA fan. Am kinda torn about what to do for the FLA game on Tues... I figure I'll start up there and see whether the people are cool or not. If they are great... if not, I'll just go use my lower bowl seat.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I guess they have to make up for the "cheap" tickets somehow. :D

Glad you're having a good time! We've really hit on a formula here and it still blows my mind after all the lean years leading up to it. Hopefully Florida follows suit. You'll be getting a taste of the nascent rivalry soon. Okay, so it's not much of one yet until we meet in the playoffs, lol.

JRinNYC

Section 227
Sponsor
May 11, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
On my quest to hit all 30 arenas, I'm going to Amalie Arena tomorrow for the COL vs TBL game. What should I see around the arena? Any statues, or trophy/banner walls outside or in the concourse? Looking forward to seeing the massive scoreboard and those Tesla coils in action. Amalie Arena will be arena #27 out of 30.

DaGoose

Jul 22, 2015
On my quest to hit all 30 arenas, I'm going to Amalie Arena tomorrow for the COL vs TBL game. What should I see around the arena? Any statues, or trophy/banner walls outside or in the concourse? Looking forward to seeing the massive scoreboard and those Tesla coils in action. Amalie Arena will be arena #27 out of 30.

Just hit up thunder alley. Everything is there.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
See the Dave Andreychuk statue with him holding the cup there over by the big lightning bolts, and founder Phil Esposito at the entrance, can't miss that one. Check out the huge organ on the third level. There's lots of pictures and stuff in various concourses. I'm not sure where the original huge cup banner is now but I think it's somewhere?

Cupcheck

May 16, 2007
Binghamton, NY
How is it buying tickets on game day outside the arena? I'm trying to decide whether to pay the astronomical fees on 3rd party sites or taking my chances buying there day of game. I'll be going to a Monday night game on 3/6 vs the Rangers if that context helps any.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
See the Dave Andreychuk statue with him holding the cup there over by the big lightning bolts, and founder Phil Esposito at the entrance, can't miss that one. Check out the huge organ on the third level. There's lots of pictures and stuff in various concourses. I'm not sure where the original huge cup banner is now but I think it's somewhere?
I didn't like how vinik changed our cup banner from 2004 I think some things need to remain untouched . I guess he wanted them to match.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
I didn't like how vinik changed our cup banner from 2004 I think some things need to remain untouched . I guess he wanted them to match.

What ever happened to the old one? I hope they kept and persevered it. They could stick it in a museum or something.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
How is it buying tickets on game day outside the arena? I'm trying to decide whether to pay the astronomical fees on 3rd party sites or taking my chances buying there day of game. I'll be going to a Monday night game on 3/6 vs the Rangers if that context helps any.

There's always a handful of guys selling tickets on the streets leading to the arena but no idea on their prices compared to online as I've never had to use them. I would assume they would be a little more desperate to unload their tickets at that point.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Hey Tampa fans I was wondering if anyone can help me regarding a question about Tropicana Field. This coming August when I'm on vacation in Orlando it just so happens to be that the Blue Jays are playing a three game series against the Rays in St. Petersburg and I decided to attend the game on August 24th. I haven't got tickets yet since they are not on sale through Ticketmaster and I might use StubHub as a last resort depending on what seats I can get, because I want close to the Blue Jays dugout as possible. Anyway my question has to do with parking. I saw on Google Maps there is a few parking lots around Tropicana Field and was wondering how much it costs to park there? As for directions I'm driving down from Toronto and my car has a navigation, plus I have driven by Tropicana Field before. I have been to Clearwater Beach multiple times and went to the Ellenton Premium Outlets, so I know my way around I-275.

Bag Of Beans

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I have family vacationing down to Clearwater, FLA on Feb. 14th for a while (same day as pitchers and catchers report for Blue Jays.)

Anyone know of free things they can do with the Blue Jays then? Does it cost $ to watch non preseason games?

Also anyone know of kid friendly places in or around Clearwater?

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I have family vacationing down to Clearwater, FLA on Feb. 14th for a while (same day as pitchers and catchers report for Blue Jays.)

Anyone know of free things they can do with the Blue Jays then? Does it cost $ to watch non preseason games?

Also anyone know of kid friendly places in or around Clearwater?

Don't know anything about baseball, but Clearwater Beach is only one of the best beaches in the US and probably the world. Fantastic place to take children.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->