OT: A Visitors Guide To Tampa: All Questions Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mti79

May 11, 2007
Hi all,
I'm a NY Ranger fan originally from NJ, spent 6 years in Buffalo and now reside in Connecticut. (Not that any of you care). My fiancee and I enjoy going to Ranger games and have tried to go to away games as a way to see other parts of the country while supporting our team along the way.
Her Uncle lives outside Tampa so we decided to make a long weekend of it and are headed down for the 12/3 game against your Bolts. I had a few questions.
1. How are opposing fans treated? We're not rude. We only cheer when/if the Rangers do something good and don't go looking for trouble. We understand it's "your building" and don't make waves. Hell, if they suck enough, we'll join in some "Rangers suck" chants along the way.
2. I admittedly know nothing about Tampa. Any good restaurants in the area?
3. What is the parking like? Do people pregame for games down there?
4. Any other info I should know about?

We want to come down and have a good weekend. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Last edited by a moderator:

daboltz

Oct 10, 2011
Ruskin, FL
1. How are opposing fans treated? We're not rude. We only cheer when/if the Rangers do something good and don't go looking for trouble. We understand it's "your building" and don't make waves. Hell, if they suck enough, we'll join in some "Rangers suck" chants along the way.
As far as we've seen, how opponent fans get treated depends on how they act. We've sat by opponent fans and carried on good hockey chat, then again we have sat beside some that tempted us to watch the game from the hallways before we do something stupid :shakehead This is vacation/retirement heaven so we seem to always get a big chuck of opponent fans, you won't be alone. And with Fedotenko, Richie, and Torts on your side we have some extra respect. if Richie wants to stick around after the game for a few months we won't complain :D

Define "good". Lots around Tampa, sports places ya gotta hi Hattricks, Channelside has loads of spots and you can always run to Ybor and even take the trolley there and back.

Lots of accessible lots, the closer you get to the Forum the higher the price. Pre-game folks gather on the Plaza outside the Forum and they usually have music and beer. Post game they often have concerts on the Plaza.

24oz canned beer from the hallway vendors is usually the best deal, don't stand on the ledge on the 300 level outside party deck and definitely keep your hands clear of the tesla coils ;) And other then that, enjoy the weather and have fun.

sonny side up

Dec 30, 2006
the dark room
www.flickr.com
As stated above.. we always have other teams fans invade our building.. thankfully we now have like 14K season tix holders so those numbers one be so obvious. Just remember, we're not Filthy Philly so you'll be fine.

As for good places to eat, Tampa is pretty big on chains, but for other places, check out Laughing Cat in Ybor (best Italian in Tampa), Pane Rustica in South Tampa (really good food, Italian/American I guess), Flemming's has one of the best burgers I've ever had but you have to sit in the bar area which is still nice (normally $12 but $6 if you go during happy hour 5-7pm), The Pub at the International Mall is cool cause you can pour your own beer (the food is OK, but hey, you can sample 20 different beers). There really isn't much downtown that I know of. I will get a quick lunch down there sometimes...

Parking is awesome, it's really easy to get out (as long as you don't park in the garage). I usually park under the highway on the corner of Whiting and Nebraska, it's $5 there, but there are tons of lots.

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
All the really good restaurants are going to be spread out across the Bay area. Downtown doesn't have anything and Channelside is usually pretty terrible for a nice meal (in my opinion). You can't really go wrong just driving around and stopping at a place that looks interesting. Some of the best Cuban food is in little mom and pop places, just depends on where you are staying.

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
As an Isles fan that frequents the Forum for games you are treated very nicely. I have never had a problem going to games there.

I park in the parking garage across the plaza. 10 bucks to park that close to the venue is great. I usually get there a little earlier to gain good access and good spot. Top floor was almost empty last time I was there.

Ybor and Channelside have tons to do. Can't go wrong there.

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
As stated above.. we always have other teams fans invade our building.. thankfully we now have like 14K season tix holders so those numbers one be so obvious. Just remember, we're not Filthy Philly so you'll be fine.

As for good places to eat, Tampa is pretty big on chains, but for other places, check out Laughing Cat in Ybor (best Italian in Tampa), Pane Rustica in South Tampa (really good food, Italian/American I guess), Flemming's has one of the best burgers I've ever had but you have to sit in the bar area which is still nice (normally $12 but $6 if you go during happy hour 5-7pm), The Pub at the International Mall is cool cause you can pour your own beer (the food is OK, but hey, you can sample 20 different beers). There really isn't much downtown that I know of. I will get a quick lunch down there sometimes...

Parking is awesome, it's really easy to get out (as long as you don't park in the garage). I usually park under the highway on the corner of Whiting and Nebraska, it's $5 there, but there are tons of lots.

Just wondering what's wrong with the garage across from the plaza? I pay 10 bucks to park there and thats a great price being so close to the venue. I found it easy to get out also, never any issues.

sonny side up

Dec 30, 2006
the dark room
www.flickr.com
Just wondering what's wrong with the garage across from the plaza? I pay 10 bucks to park there and thats a great price being so close to the venue. I found it easy to get out also, never any issues.

Oh really? I just thought it was like every other parking garage that is near an arena (i.e. fuster cluck for getting out). The one in Boston a few years ago took me a good 30 mins to get out. T'was Hell (aka Boston traffic, but that's implied)

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
I park one block further then where the pay lots for $10 start and pay about $1 to the electronic meter for the night. :)

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
Oh really? I just thought it was like every other parking garage that is near an arena (i.e. fuster cluck for getting out). The one in Boston a few years ago took me a good 30 mins to get out. T'was Hell (aka Boston traffic, but that's implied)

Getting out of the garage puts you on Florida and then I take it to I-275 to go home. Their is a light about 100 feet from the exit of the garage. Just squeeze your way into traffic. Like I said earlier, never encountered a problem or a wait longer then 5-6 minutes.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Hi all,
I'm a NY Ranger fan originally from NJ, spent 6 years in Buffalo and now reside in Connecticut. (Not that any of you care). My fiancee and I enjoy going to Ranger games and have tried to go to away games as a way to see other parts of the country while supporting our team along the way.
Her Uncle lives outside Tampa so we decided to make a long weekend of it and are headed down for the 12/3 game against your Bolts. I had a few questions.

We want to come down and have a good weekend. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

1. As an Islander fan who's lived in Tampa for 11 years now, I've never once had any really bad treatment. The most I've ever gotten is "go home!"-and most of those are tongue in check (this includes during the playoffs). Most people will either ignore you, whether you live in NY or FL (tons of us transplants here) or ask you about the team.

2. Mostly chain restaurants. It can hard to find a really good restaurants (the ones that are can be expensive). But I suggest stopping into a mom and pop Cuban place at least once.

3. Parking is not bad. I suggest parking Morgan, about 2-3 lots away from the Forum. It's not a bad walk, and you can avoid a good amount of traffic-depending on where you're staying.

mti79

May 11, 2007
I park one block further then where the pay lots for $10 start and pay about $1 to the electronic meter for the night. :)

I need more details on this... $1 sounds good to me. LOL.

And my tickets came in the mail last week. Yay! Very excited.

tbaz

Nov 20, 2011
free shuttles

im visiting from wayyyyy north and looking to find bars or other with shuttles to / from a home game im not going till Feb. but i figure there all the same , closer to Madeira Beach area the better. Thanks in advance.

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
There are no shuttles to and from the game. You'd have to just grab a taxi which is usually pretty expensive. And that's not even feasible from Madeira Beach which is far away from downtown Tampa. You'd be better served to just rent a car since this area has absolutely no good public transportation options.

CBJSprague24

"Scoreboard, son."
Oct 11, 2007
52mi from the Nat
Going to be in Tampa on New Year's Eve & I'm looking to go with my dad and one of his friends to the game vs. the Hurricanes. Will getting around the Forum in terms of parking or accessibility be any more of a problem on New Year's as compared to any other time during the season?

mti79

May 11, 2007
Bump bumpity bump bump...
Flying in on Friday. Will probably hit up the TB Brewing company as suggested for lunch. Not sure where else we'll be going as my fiancee's uncle lives in Bradenton. Looking forward to seeing more of the town and the game on Saturday! Too bad I have an 8am flight home on Sunday.. ugh.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Bump bumpity bump bump...
Flying in on Friday. Will probably hit up the TB Brewing company as suggested for lunch. Not sure where else we'll be going as my fiancee's uncle lives in Bradenton. Looking forward to seeing more of the town and the game on Saturday! Too bad I have an 8am flight home on Sunday.. ugh.

Looks like your only solution is to move here and become a Tampa Bay Lightning fan. :sarcasm:

Timeless Winter

SaveD the Crew
Oct 13, 2006
Cleveland, Ohio
How hard is it going to be to get 2 tickets to the Montreal game on the 29th?? If it's not sold out already. If it is what's the availability for the Flyers and Canes games that week?? I'm not sure if you guys sell out most home games or not.
Thanks

sonny side up

Dec 30, 2006
the dark room
www.flickr.com
How hard is it going to be to get 2 tickets to the Montreal game on the 29th?? If it's not sold out already. If it is what's the availability for the Flyers and Canes games that week?? I'm not sure if you guys sell out most home games or not.
Thanks
Habs game should be face value at most for tickets if you scalp them.. same for Philly.. Canes tix you should be able to get for cheap though.

Eskie Jetski

Jun 25, 2004
Hi, my family and I are off to Walt Disney World for a week and a half in late March and four of us are going to the Oilers game in Tampa on March 22. We just bought our tix online and got 7th row centre ice for $80 per ticket.

Orlando appears to be only an hour and a half drive from Tampa; I looked on a map and that's the impression I got.

Me and my stepsister have been to many hockey games in other cities over the years, Sharks fans have treated us the best, Leafs fans were the worst. We've also been to Washington, St. Louis, New Jersey and MSG.

Doctor Drej

Unregistered User
Jan 10, 2009
The Quiet Room
Where is a good place to buy some Rays gear? thanks

Anywhere really. Bealls has some alright stuff, or any sports or sporting goods store. In the Westshore mall in Tampa right off of 275 there's a store in there called Sports Fan-Attic which has a lot of stuff for every sport, though there hockey apparel is severely lacking and/or outdated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->