OT: A Visitors Guide To Tampa: All Questions Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Another question. Any places in the Kissimmee area that does embroidery? Wanted a couple Jerseys done up. Thanks again.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Hey guys, Im coming down with my 9 and 6 year old for Canadian March break. I've got tickets to see my Habs on the 16th. Any suggestions as to where to park or eat prior to the game. I want to make it a whole day event.

Also, I hear there is some type of fan zone outside the arena prior to the game with bands etc. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Cheers

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Hey guys, Im coming down with my 9 and 6 year old for Canadian March break. I've got tickets to see my Habs on the 16th. Any suggestions as to where to park or eat prior to the game. I want to make it a whole day event.

Also, I hear there is some type of fan zone outside the arena prior to the game with bands etc. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Cheers

https://www.google.com/maps/@27.9453268,-82.4520211,17z

I usually get there just before puck drop so your mileage may vary with regards to parking. Most available parking for me was northwest of the Selmon Expressway in the map link I provided above. You could drive up to the closer lots just before the Expressway and then find parking farther away if you don't want the kids walking that far.

The fan zone outside the arena is called Thunder Alley and it's pretty much impossible to miss as the entrance is right next to it.

EDIT: My suggestion is to drop the fam off up close and then just go find whatever the closest available 20 dollar parking is (there are like 4 big lots right next to the Expressway) because there aren't many cheaper places to park nearby and you'll end up driving in circles to find them.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
https://www.google.com/maps/@27.9453268,-82.4520211,17z

I usually get there just before puck drop so your mileage may vary with regards to parking. Most available parking for me was northwest of the Selmon Expressway in the map link I provided above. You could drive up to the closer lots just before the Expressway and then find parking farther away if you don't want the kids walking that far.

The fan zone outside the arena is called Thunder Alley and it's pretty much impossible to miss as the entrance is right next to it.

EDIT: My suggestion is to drop the fam off up close and then just go find whatever the closest available 20 dollar parking is (there are like 4 big lots right next to the Expressway) because there aren't many cheaper places to park nearby and you'll end up driving in circles to find them.

Thanks! I appreciate it!

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
A good friend of mine has a pretty good chance of attending UCF starting next year (she was accepted, debating between it and two other schools).

... methinks I might need to give this topic a read at some point in the future if she goes there, as you'd better believe that I'd find a way to swing in a Bolts game to start or end a trip to visit her. :laugh:

2020 Cup Champions

Nov 26, 2013
A good friend of mine has a pretty good chance of attending UCF starting next year (she was accepted, debating between it and two other schools).

... methinks I might need to give this topic a read at some point in the future if she goes there, as you'd better believe that I'd find a way to swing in a Bolts game to start or end a trip to visit her. :laugh:

UCF was pretty awesome when I was there years ago. The drive to Tampa from the campus would run you about 2 hours, I think (I live in between so I've never had to do it all at once).

Scottyos

Apr 22, 2012
Edmonton, AB
Hello everyone!

With the slowdown in the oil patch near Edmonton I've decided to take a little trip to visit warmer climates. I'm considering passing through the Tampa area (along with a visit down to Miami). Just a few quick questions.

1) I'm assuming there's a place where you can get numbered jerseys in the rink? (I've got a jersey from every rink I've been to and I don't want this to change if at all possible!).

2) Any touristy things you'd recommend seeing in the area? I'm considering going to the Jays/Yankee's game that's the same day as the winnipeg game if I go. Any other suggestions?

3) Any local eats that are a must visit? Looking for hole in the wall places with a something unique to be offered.

Thanks in advance!

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
UCF was pretty awesome when I was there years ago. The drive to Tampa from the campus would run you about 2 hours, I think (I live in between so I've never had to do it all at once).

I live just off the UCF campus and it takes me about an hour and 40 minutes without traffic. The Disney logjam can tack 30 minutes onto that though.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Hello all,

looking to possibly locate to Tampa in the near(ish) future...want to look at places off 75 (easier access to get up to Gainesville)...keep seeing nice condos in Riverview....can anyone fill me in on that area?

2MinutesforGiraffing

angelsil on safari
Apr 2, 2013
Tampa
Hello all,
keep seeing nice condos in Riverview....can anyone fill me in on that area?

Boring and suburban. I live close to 75 a little North of Riverview (technically Tampa, but really Brandon) and it's the same thing up here. Big box stores and strip malls. That said, the rent/housing is cheap and it's quite safe in 99% of the area.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Boring and suburban. I live close to 75 a little North of Riverview (technically Tampa, but really Brandon) and it's the same thing up here. Big box stores and strip malls. That said, the rent/housing is cheap and it's quite safe in 99% of the area.

what i figured...which is fine, probably wouldn't be able to enjoy the non boring and suburban each day anyways...is there any place that's easy access to 75 and to Amelie that isn't that way that's still safe and affordable?

2020 Cup Champions

Nov 26, 2013
what i figured...which is fine, probably wouldn't be able to enjoy the non boring and suburban each day anyways...is there any place that's easy access to 75 and to Amelie that isn't that way that's still safe and affordable?

Full disclosure, I'm not from Tampa (about 30 minutes away depending on traffic), but I've been hearing Seminole Heights is a neighborhood that is doing the old "Greenwich Village" thing--lots of hipsters and entrepreneurs are moving in because it's cheap and fixing the place up.

2MinutesforGiraffing

angelsil on safari
Apr 2, 2013
Tampa
Full disclosure, I'm not from Tampa (about 30 minutes away depending on traffic), but I've been hearing Seminole Heights is a neighborhood that is doing the old "Greenwich Village" thing--lots of hipsters and entrepreneurs are moving in because it's cheap and fixing the place up.

I owned a house in Seminole Heights before moving up to Canada about 8 years ago. It's really turning around and becoming trendy, but it's also starting to get ridiculously expensive. Bungalows that were $80,000 a few years ago are now on the market for $250,000+. It's one of the places I'm considering buying a home (along with Channelside) next year, but I'm not paying that level of markup. Especially when you consider significant parts of the area are still ghetto.

I'm also looking at Riverside Heights, which is Seminole Heights adjacent and significantly less expensive.

Last edited:

2MinutesforGiraffing

angelsil on safari
Apr 2, 2013
Tampa

I don't think so. I-75 is far enough outside the city that it's very surburban and low-density. There are parts of Brandon (near the mall, mostly) where you can somewhat walk around. At least to some shops, bars, restaurants. But no area that's really properly walkable or high density comes to mind.

bluedevil58*

What beaches should I check out while I am down there? Also, we are looking at the river view area. Any neighborhoods you guys recommend checking out for a 30 year old married couple?

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
What beaches should I check out while I am down there? Also, we are looking at the river view area. Any neighborhoods you guys recommend checking out for a 30 year old married couple?

Me and my wife are moving to Gulfport, from Seattle and love the crazy hippies lol. Although not really hippies ourselves.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Me and my wife are moving to Gulfport, from Seattle and love the crazy hippies lol. Although not really hippies ourselves.

cartman_hippies.jpg

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
My wife and I are moving down to the Tampa area next month. Have liked the Lightning for a long time, so it'll be nice to have a good team locally to watch and follow in addition to Chicago. Looking forward to being there and maybe visiting this forum a bit more to chat about all things Lightning.

CommunistDayKare

I'M SORRY RUM HAM
Mar 7, 2010
Tampa, FL
My wife and I are moving down to the Tampa area next month. Have liked the Lightning for a long time, so it'll be nice to have a good team locally to watch and follow in addition to Chicago. Looking forward to being there and maybe visiting this forum a bit more to chat about all things Lightning.

Nice! I'm moving in August too from the Chicago burbs. Even transferring from work too (Currently work at the Apple Store in Oakbrook, going to the store in International Plaza)

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Nice! I'm moving in August too from the Chicago burbs. Even transferring from work too (Currently work at the Apple Store in Oakbrook, going to the store in International Plaza)

Nice, best of luck on the move.

We're going to be down there Saturday-Tuesday looking at places and we each have interviews.

Gonna be doing some hockey stuff down there job-wise at least part time so with that said, if anyone in here is hiring or looking to hire for something feel free to PM me! :laugh:

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
I'm planning my trip for the Finals and was wondering how easy Amalie Arena is to get to if I get a hotel that's 10-15 miles away. Should I get a closer hotel or will traffic be fine ? Please note that I'm from SoCal so my standards for traffic are extremely low :laugh:

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
It's pretty easy. You'll need to rent a car or pony up for a taxi or Uber, I guess. Leave early and you shouldn't have any problems at all.

mbd925

May 15, 2015
Hey guys! Been reading the boards for a while but never posted. I just moved to South Tampa for the summer, don't know too many people here. Suggestions for fun things to do? I'm 20

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
So I was wondering what the watch party options might be for Game 6. Will it be shown outside of the arena and if so do I just show up or do I need a pass ? Or if there's a good bar or something I'm totally open to suggestions

And a second question. I have a jersey signed by every player on this year's team except Coburn. Does anyone have a suggestion for how I might get him to sign it while I'm there(12th-19th) or should I try to get it sometime next season instead ? Have any of the practices been open this week ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad