A theory about Kadri

Shanty

July hockey is where bridges are burned
Jan 9, 2010
Toronto
While I was watching the game tonight, I started thinking about Kadri. A big thing that's been discussed around here recently is why Kadri isn't playing on the top line with JVR and Kessel. He's clearly a more talented player than Bozak, even I - a reasonably middle ground person on Bozak - can see that. So why hasn't it happened yet?

A lot of people would probably say that Bozak has proven to be very reliable defensively. Great PK asset, great backchecker. Doesn't use his body to crunch, but does use it to separate effectively. We can all remember the play against Iginla last year/a couple years back to save a goal which turned into one for us. Is it really that simple? Is it simply that Carlyle wants a defensive minded centre between Kessel and JVR, neither of which are exactly known for their show-stopping defence? I don't think that's EXACTLY what it is.

I think Carlyle is trying to show Kadri the commitment and compete level he expects out of his first line centre. He knows how good Kadri is offensively, everyone does, no one can deny it. But how has he been defensively? Okay, maybe? Decent at best? I think Carlyle wants it to become clear just how much defence he expects out of his "first liners". Kessel's not exactly Datsyuk, but he's a lot better than he was. JVR is no Kulemin, but he's not just floating around the blue line. Now Carlyle is expecting nothing less out of Kadri, and that's why we're seeing Bozak out there between the showstoppers, night after night.

"See kid? That's how I want you to play in our end. If you do that, then you can play with the big boys in the other end."

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
Having Kadri and Lupul on the 2nd line creates a balanced attack. I'm fine with Kadri being a 2nd line center on this team when everyone is healthy.

Milan90

Jul 8, 2009
Etobicoke, Ontario
I'm completely fine with keeping Bozak on the first line, but I'd like to see the lines juggled when the team is struggling to create offense. Seems like Carlyle juggles every line except this one; I just don't think that line should be immune to mid-game line juggling if it helps us win.

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
pens wud of won if crosby and malkin played together

but no, poor decision making
thats why they LOST bahahahahah

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Bolland is better defensively than Bozak and I'd say offensively as well so then he should be the one centering the first line, no?

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Kadri was actually very good defensively. He didn't join the attack too early and played physical.

I don't see how were a one line team with Kadri on the 1st line. If you think Lupul-Bozak-Clarkson can't generate offense your badly mistaken.

leafstilldeath*

Bolland is better defensively than Bozak and I'd say offensively as well so then he should be the one centering the first line, no?

According to the Bozak fanboys bozak does little things right:

Good defensively
Good FO guy
Good PK guy

What they do not know i.e. Bozak fanboys/fangirls that they just described a Good 3rd line checking C. And I have no doubt that Bozo will be a good 3C. Bozo not good enough to be a top 6C in this league. Period!

leafstilldeath*

Kadri was actually very good defensively. He didn't join the attack too early and played physical.

I don't see how were a one line team with Kadri on the 1st line. If you think can't generate offense your badly mistaken.

It would simply mean that Bozo is not a top 6C and should not be played in that role.

Bozo/Stajan-Kessel-Poni (Stajan centered Kessel for a while, Kessel pots 30 goals not ppg)

Bozo-Kessel-Kuli (Kessel pots 32 not a ppg)

Bozo-Kessel-Lups (Kessel pots 37 I think and is a ppg)

Bozo-Kessel-JVR (Kessel 30 goal pace and above ppg)

It just goes to show how good Kessel as a player is and when given support he becomes better. Now imagine Kessel-JVR with a solid 1C that is offensively capable. That is off the charts offensive numbers.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Kadri and Lupul on some nights look like our first line. It's almost an insult to Lupul that it is being framed Kadri is being cheated by playing with Lupes instead of Kessel.

It's not like Kadri is playing with a scrub in Lupul. Maybe we should just say we have 1A, 1B, 1C lines and stop this line #1 line obsession.

With our winger depth, any Center would envy playing on this team. No one is being cheated.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Bozak is a top six forward, as is Bolland ( who I felt sceptical of in Grabo's role). Interestingly, Grabovski ( 8 pts/ 10GP) and just racked an assist today. Continuing on, Bolland nearly at a point per game pace and we're not relying on him as ridiculously as Grabovski last season. We're seeing defensive roles being spread out, and even Kessel was out against Malkin in a number of shifts.

That being said, Bolland is probably our best two-way forward on our team, is nasty, and would keep JVR and Kessel going. He has a power guy in JVR, and I think James would play would elevate drastically as well. Our top line scores off the rush, and we really three effective finishers up front. If Carlyle utilises our roster well, I can see Bolland producing over 60 points ( or even more) this season. Let's remember that he was utilised as a scoring forward on Chicago with Kane and Havlet before him.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Bozak Is a better hockey player without kessel IMO. He just try's to force the play to him every damn time he touches the puck and it results in nothing.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Bozak is a top six forward, as is Bolland ( who I felt sceptical of in Grabo's role). Interestingly, Grabovski ( 8 pts/ 10GP) and just racked an assist today. Continuing on, Bolland nearly at a point per game pace and we're not relying on him as ridiculously as Grabovski last season. We're seeing defensive roles being spread out, and even Kessel was out against Malkin in a number of shifts.

That being said, Bolland is probably our best two-way forward on our team, is nasty, and would keep JVR and Kessel going. He has a power guy in JVR, and I think James would play would elevate drastically as well. Our top line scores off the rush, and we really three effective finishers up front. If Carlyle utilises our roster well, I can see Bolland producing over 60 points ( or even more) this season. Let's remember that he was utilised as a scoring forward on Chicago with Kane and Havlet before him.

I told you Bolland was going to be great for us....I watched a lot of Chicago's games the past couple of years and I was sure he would be our best pick up this off season...Bolland gives us so many more options through the middle and Carlyle is using him in all of them. Mainly as a shut down Center but he has also given him some offensive roles as well.

Shanty

July hockey is where bridges are burned
Jan 9, 2010
Toronto
I told you Bolland was going to be great for us....I watched a lot of Chicago's games the past couple of years and I was sure he would be our best pick up this off season...Bolland gives us so many more options through the middle and Carlyle is using him in all of them. Mainly as a shut down Center but he has also given him some offensive roles as well.

The biggest thing I've noticed about Bolland is his timing. Ever goal he's scored seems to have been at the perfect time. Early in the game, getting us going, or after the other team has scored to get us back in it, or it's a late GWG. Timing is everything with him.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
The Bolland - Clarkson pair resembles the Bolland - Ladd counterpart in Chicago. It's really good.

maplehawk

HFB Partner
2 thing:

1. a balanced attack is an absolute necessity these days. all the successful playoff teams have it.

2. kadri plays best with a chip on his shoulder. he's most effective when he feels like he needs to prove himself or he has doubters. it's all about dangling the carrot with him - the carrot being ice time with phil and jvr.

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
jvr kadri kessel
lupul bolland clarkson

still creates two very dangerous lines, with 1 being elite

which then makes room for mcclement bozak kulemin, which imo are our 3 best defensive forwards for when we're up to put on top lines

wulfio*

Because Kessel can carry him, and Carlyle doesn't want to offend Lupul again.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
It would simply mean that Bozo is not a top 6C and should not be played in that role.

Bozo/Stajan-Kessel-Poni (Stajan centered Kessel for a while, Kessel pots 30 goals not ppg)

Bozo-Kessel-Kuli (Kessel pots 32 not a ppg)

Bozo-Kessel-Lups (Kessel pots 37 I think and is a ppg)

Bozo-Kessel-JVR (Kessel 30 goal pace and above ppg)

It just goes to show how good Kessel as a player is and when given support he becomes better. Now imagine Kessel-JVR with a solid 1C that is offensively capable. That is off the charts offensive numbers.

Kessel is 26 years old. He's likely not even in his prime yet. He's still improving for sure.

robdicks

Aug 10, 2008
Welland ON
The reason is balanced attack. Lets not kid ourselves. Everyone knows our depth chart up front kind of looked like this coming into the season:

Lupul - Kadri - Kessel
JVR - Bozak - Clarkson

Even going into the season we knew we didnt have the best center and best left-winger on our top line, but we kept Lupul and Kadri together, so that we can have two great scoring lines rather than one great scoring line, and a pretty solid one.

JVR has stepped up his play though, and IMO has proven to be the best LW on this team (for now). It only seems natural to put our best center between the two, but the first line still produces with Bozak in the middle. Our second line will be more likely to produce with Kadri than it will with Bozak.

Dont fix what isnt broken. Kadri will get time with Kessel this year, but for now, just leave it the way it is when we are healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad