A SERIOUS DISCUSSION: Alex Nedeljkovic

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
the heart and soul of the team are Aho, Staal, Slavin, Pesce. As much as I do like Martinook and McGinn, they are guys you can afford to lose because they can be easily replaced with similar guys. What really is the functional difference between Foegele and McGinn, or Martinook and Paquette? Nothing really.
There's no replacement for Hamilton. To compete you need high end players. The heart and soul of this team you've listed isn't enough to win a cup. I get he might not want to sign here, or maybe we've just waited too long or that the contract is just outrageous but losing Dougie would likely be a step backwards for a team thats either truly contending or on the verge of it.

I unfortunately agree about the role players. They're your heart but in the end you need to find cheap replacements for them, and at least a guy like Lorentz seems to have that side of him in spades.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I don’t agree that McGinn and Martinook are randos that can just be easily replaced. They bring a level of grit, intensity and clutch play that the team relies on to win.

It may very well be the case that these players cannot be retained due to the cap, but lets not act like their loss is no big deal.

I didn't say I liked the idea of letting them go, but realistically, if you want to keep dudes like Svech and Necas around long term, you have to be able to move on from guys like Martinook and McGinn. Keep in mind, the "heart and soul" of this team just two years ago was Justin Williams. Has the team really suffered because he hasn't been around? No. Guys like that impart their experience/wisdom/leadership to younger players on the team who carry it on and pass it to the guys younger than them. And so on.

More specifically, especially for a small market team, you have to be able to replace those kinds of guys from within. I think we're on the right track to do that with players like Lorentz, Geekie and Jarvis/Suzuki/Drury etc in the coming years.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I didn't say I liked the idea of letting them go, but realistically, if you want to keep dudes like Svech and Necas around long term, you have to be able to move on from guys like Martinook and McGinn. Keep in mind, the "heart and soul" of this team just two years ago was Justin Williams. Has the team really suffered because he hasn't been around? No. Guys like that impart their experience/wisdom/leadership to younger players on the team who carry it on and pass it to the guys younger than them. And so on.

More specifically, especially for a small market team, you have to be able to replace those kinds of guys from within. I think we're on the right track to do that with players like Lorentz, Geekie and Jarvis/Suzuki/Drury etc in the coming years.

I mean this post has aged well over the last game.

Reactions: Discipline Daddy

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
I hope Ned comes up something memorable to say when that happens.
something like this, probably

3c66ef7863cb42202a992cfbb19cdc12.jpg

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Well, he provided more than I ever thought he could. He still has some questions to answer going forward. We don't know how he'll be with a bigger load or when playing more than a handful of teams. But he's obviously earned a chance for next year though I still wouldn't commit to him long-term yet.

His playoff was both tantalizing and frustrating. He made some absolutely outstanding saves and was largely really good. He did make more mental mistakes as the playoffs wore on. He had the couple of plays he couldn't freeze the puck in the Nashville series, the stickhandling became more erratic, he gave up a number of softies, and he seemed to get beat on individual efforts more. Even with that, he had a pretty encouraging body of work in the playoffs. He'll need to improve on that to be the guy going forward.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
To me he more than solidified his claim as the starter next year. Not that I think it should be handed to him without a competition, but it's his job to lose.

He was under siege for big chunks of this series and in three games the offense gave him two goals total. Not even Vasilevsky could win games like that.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Ned has shown me everything I need to see this season/playoffs. This wasn’t just some Wardo hot streak.

Anyone else we re-sign/bring in is the veteran backup.

I mean Wardo won the cup. Ned went 4-4.

I hope he works out, but I still have this nagging feeling something doesn't look right watching him play. I definitely hope they have a guy at least like Mrazek on the roster who can be a fulltime #1 if needed.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I mean Wardo won the cup. Ned went 4-4.

I hope he works out, but I still have this nagging feeling something doesn't look right watching him play. I definitely hope they have a guy at least like Mrazek on the roster who can be a fulltime #1 if needed.
Mrazek hasn't shown he can be that guy either. At least not for the level we'll need to go anywhere. His rise in the NHL was much like Ned's but earlier in his career and less impressive. If he wants to come back and be 1B that's cool with me though.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Curious how this contract plays out. I've been thinking lately both sides might be best served by a 1-year deal. Allows cap space for a more experienced partner while Ned gets the opportunity to erase any doubt that he's the guy going forward and really cash in on a longer-term deal next summer.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I think it would negligent not to have a 1A/1B type setup again. And that's not a swipe at Ned. He showed a lot, but goalies man.

The question is who is the 1B based on the market?

Mrazek is known, but could be looking for a larger role and a raise.
Driedger will also get a starting role somewhere.
Grubauer will likely stay in Colorado, but if he hits the market he's someone you sign to take the 1A job, not as a 1B.

Andersen is a complete wild card, and could require a veteran #3 if he's not healthy.
Raanta has a terrible injury history but great play when healthy. Again, likely need a veteran #3.
Rittich, Ullmark, Bernier are solid 1B options.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
If Rask leaves Boston and could come relatively cheap ($5Mish at most) I'd love that 1a/1b duo.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Exactly

You need to be getting somebody better than Ned.

You want a serious battle

Going with like Reimer / Ned is not an option
Better than Ned would be great. Who fits that category of goalie, is available, and won't blow the budget? That is going to be a very short list if there is even a single player on it. The reality is we can do what you suggest, but it will cost us in other areas of the team because it will mean spending more of the cap on the goalies compared to this year.

And the reality is that we had very good goaltending all year, even when it was just Alex and James. They are not why our season is done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad