A SERIOUS DISCUSSION: Alex Nedeljkovic

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
This was overtaking several threads so I thought I'd make one.

If you care, I remembered how to spell his name as "Nedel" + "kovic", with the random "j" connecting the two. That became "needle" [Nedel] + 'the tennis player' [jkovic].

Will Nedeljkovic be able to break the mold of small goaltenders failing at the highest level?? Or will his "elite confidence at all levels" allow him to vanquish the bane of Hurricanes' goalies of yore, the dreaded GLOVE SIDE HIGH

DISCUSS!!!

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
If Nedeljkovic ends an RFA after this year, I expect him to be re-signed and take up the backup spot going into 2021-22. As a backup, he seems to have the talent to steal games, but the flaws to lose them as well- even in this 6 game stretch where he has played well, his flaws are still readily apparant, he was beaten four times yesterday, 3 went off the post/crossbar and one was a miss by the Nashville player on a wide open net.

Anyway I agree with @Vagrant 's assessment, because he can steal games he could sign a short contract, then quickly be out to door to whichever team he happened to have a good year against a la Justin Peters and Washington or Bowman and Les Habs or Tim Brent and the Hurricanes.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
wLhaVU4.gif

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
If Nedeljkovic ends an RFA after this year, I expect him to be re-signed and take up the backup spot going into 2021-22. As a backup, he seems to have the talent to steal games, but the flaws to lose them as well- even in this 6 game stretch where he has played well, his flaws are still readily apparant, he was beaten four times yesterday, 3 went off the post/crossbar and one was a miss by the Nashville player on a wide open net.

Anyway I agree with @Vagrant 's assessment, because he can steal games he could sign a short contract, then quickly be out to door to whichever team he happened to have a good year against a la Justin Peters and Washington or Bowman and Les Habs or Tim Brent and the Hurricanes.

Ned's future here depends on whether his positives outweigh his flaws. Every goalie has his flaws. So far, at least, the positives have won out.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
I'm kind of getting frustrated with his lack of goal scoring. I've been led to believe that he's an elite goal scorer for his position, and his track record from the minors backs that up, but in the NHL, I believe he's yet to even register a shot on goal, which is disappointing for a prospect of his caliber.

Last edited:

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Sometimes shooters miss and hit posts because the goalie actually had the net covered.

Anyway, I don't think Ned is a superstar or anything, but I think his long term outlook is at least good a 1A/1B type similar to Mrazek. He has poise, and he's shown he has the ability to make a bunch of big saves and keep the team in the game when everybody else is playing like shit. And his puck handling really does seem to help the defense when you compare him to Reimer.

Will he ever be a 60 game starter? No. Because of his size he's not going to be able to make as many easy saves as a bigger goal. More exertion, less stamina over the long haul.

Still, right now he's winning games even while he's learning how to play in the NHL with his physical limitations with precious little experience. It's no small feat. Imagine if when Mrazek had gone down we were stuck with a Michael Leighton or Justin Peters. Could've been real bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->