A SERIOUS DISCUSSION: Alex Nedeljkovic

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
High enough to probably mean we can’t keep him and Mrazek both.

Aye that's why I said qualify not sign :)

I don't see any way that Ned isn't signed in the off-season....maybe something as simple as a 3 year or 4 year deal. The shorter the term the lower the AAV IMO....not sure what the AAV would be. But I would also think that they'd like to sign Petr to another deal as well. The difference is that Mrazek will have suitors who are looking for a bona fide #1. I think we see Petr and Ned as an optimal double 1a situation. With Makiniemi and Kochetkov waiting in the wings, my sense is that they're gambling that one of those guys will be ready in a couple of years.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I don't see any way that Ned isn't signed in the off-season....maybe something as simple as a 3 year or 4 year deal. The shorter the term the lower the AAV IMO....not sure what the AAV would be. But I would also think that they'd like to sign Petr to another deal as well. The difference is that Mrazek will have suitors who are looking for a bona fide #1. I think we see Petr and Ned as an optimal double 1a situation. With Makiniemi and Kochetkov waiting in the wings, my sense is that they're gambling that one of those guys will be ready in a couple of years.

i think they’d like Petr and Ned, but will be comfortable with Ned and James. That’s the pairing that will allow more money on the skaters and got us through most of the season.

Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
High enough to probably mean we can’t keep him and Mrazek both.

There's enough to give both of them a decent (Mrazek) and significant (Ned) raise and still spend less than $6 million on goalies next year. I don't think it'll be a problem, but that's assuming Pete wants to stay.

My guess is needed cap savings will come from elsewhere. Hamilton, McGinn, Martinook are all UFA and I think they're all gone. And as people have speculated elsewhere, Gardiner is very unlikely to come back. That's already a difference of $14 million with a roster that's already $2 million under the cap right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
1) this may be the most awkward photograph ever taken

2) look how adorable little baby Ned was

0c2.jpg

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
There's enough to give both of them a decent (Mrazek) and significant (Ned) raise and still spend less than $6 million on goalies next year. I don't think it'll be a problem, but that's assuming Pete wants to stay.
Assuming they both just take what is offered, sure. But Petr will have other teams interested (probably including the Oilers) and Ned is arbitration eligible. My guess is that Ned can get North of $3M for one year in arbitration given his last season.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I'd still stick to 1-2 years this time if possible. Most goalies are scary beyond that. Does of course come down to the numbers.
Judging from Mrazek's contract they probably don't want to commit any longer than that anyway. Maybe they will reconsider paying a goalie long term if Ned proves to be a stud and gets closer to UFA. But even then who knows.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Judging from Mrazek's contract they probably don't want to commit any longer than that anyway. Maybe they will reconsider paying a goalie long term if Ned proves to be a stud and gets closer to UFA. But even then who knows.
We'll get a deal done with him for a few years. I also think if he shows he is able to play like this over another season, we'll quickly position to a long term agreement. I would not be shocked if we get him for 2 year extension this offseason and then sign him for another 5 if he has another year like this one.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina

Yeah, I've been thinking that $6 million to $6.5 million for a goalie tandem is about the limit IF we re-sign Dougie. Now if we are able to shed Gardiner's contract, that might add some flexibility, but we're going to be tight against the cap regardless (Svech, cough, cough....).

Petr's 29 years old so if he signed a 2 or 3 year deal, he'd still have potential for another relatively nice contract. Personally, I'd want to know if that number is under $4 million. As far as Ned is concerned, I'd probably like 3 years but would accept 4. I'd want his number to be south of $3 million per year but that could be a pipe dream. In Ned's case, I think, worst case, he's a solid 1b even if he regresses a little.

It all comes down to what we do with Dougie. Either that money get's freed up a bit (obviously some would have to go for his replacement), or we're tight against the cap and a couple of ELCs are regulars in our line up next season.

Reactions: Tryamw

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I think I said this already, but we should probably assume the hard truth that Hamilton, Martinook and McGinn are all gone. I expect a bottom six with Geekie, Lorentz and at least one of Suzuki/Jarvis/Drury as regulars next year. Maybe we keep Paquette. Hopefully we keep Hakanpaa. Keeping Hamilton would be fantastic but I think the front office understands that contract can't lead to losing Svech or Necas down the road.

Turbo-Aho-Svech
Nino-Tro-Necas
Foegele-Staal-Fast
Paquette-Lorentz-Geekie
rookie

Slavin-Bean
Skjei-Pesce
rookie/FA-Hakysack

Reactions: Tryamw

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I think I said this already, but we should probably assume the hard truth that Hamilton, Martinook and McGinn are all gone. I expect a bottom six with Geekie, Lorentz and at least one of Suzuki/Jarvis/Drury as regulars next year. Maybe we keep Paquette. Hopefully we keep Hakanpaa. Keeping Hamilton would be fantastic but I think the front office understands that contract can't lead to losing Svech or Necas down the road.

Turbo-Aho-Svech
Nino-Tro-Necas
Foegele-Staal-Fast
Paquette-Lorentz-Geekie
rookie

Slavin-Bean
Skjei-Pesce
rookie/FA-Hakysack

Yeah jesus christ why don’t we just tear the heart and soul out of the team and see how that works

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Yeah jesus christ why don’t we just tear the heart and soul out of the team and see how that works

the heart and soul of the team are Aho, Staal, Slavin, Pesce. As much as I do like Martinook and McGinn, they are guys you can afford to lose because they can be easily replaced with similar guys. What really is the functional difference between Foegele and McGinn, or Martinook and Paquette? Nothing really.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

Turbo-Aho-Svech
Nino-Tro-Necas
Foegele-Staal-Fast
Paquette-Lorentz-Geekie
rookie

Slavin-Bean
Skjei-Pesce
rookie/FA-Hakysack
We went from a good team to just meh. Pass on that lineup. Replacing Hamilton with no shot Bean is just awful

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
we need to slow down a little regarding 4 or 5 year deal for Ned. development happens, but so do heaters. jordan binnington had the same sort of emergence onto the scene and a similar contract to negotiate in some ways. 25 year old breakout season with plenty of doubt on both sides of the table. they found $4.4 per over 2 years and that was with him having won the cup. that feels like the ceiling to me on the possible ask. the more likely scenario seems like carolina pushing for something under $4 million with both sides feeling decent about 2 years of starter money based on 30-40 games. that's a life securing amount of cash for a player that has been living on probably 250k per season for a while here without any sincere expectation that was going to change. the outcome for the blues on that deal was also interesting. when it came time to talk contract again, binnington was a strong but not superhuman starter and they secured him for 6 x 6. it's just so prudent for goalies to not leave situations where they've had success, because the relationship with your defense having a feel for what you're doing can create a lot of symmetry. the position is subject to so much variance that treating the sample with the appropriate respect is mandatory. it has to be built into the price. anything he gets over 3 x 2 is a credit to his agent

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Exactly why cap issues aren’t a concern with him out. Bridge Svech and lets get better not worse with bean as 1RD

Where do you get a projection that because Bean would run PP1 he needs to be 1RD??

The easiest thing for the Canes to replace of Hamilton is his slot at 1RD.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
the heart and soul of the team are Aho, Staal, Slavin, Pesce. As much as I do like Martinook and McGinn, they are guys you can afford to lose because they can be easily replaced with similar guys. What really is the functional difference between Foegele and McGinn, or Martinook and Paquette? Nothing really.

I don’t agree that McGinn and Martinook are randos that can just be easily replaced. They bring a level of grit, intensity and clutch play that the team relies on to win.

It may very well be the case that these players cannot be retained due to the cap, but lets not act like their loss is no big deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad