A SERIOUS DISCUSSION: Alex Nedeljkovic

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
THG on Youtube was like "Nedeljkovic played really well and his numbers are fantastic but he got no run support, so I'm not sure how to grade him" and I'm just sitting here incredulous.

Like, what in the hell exactly do you think a goalie has to do to earn a good "grade"? The man can't score the goals himself. People are so weird about goalies with this sport man.
But he's scored in the ECHL and AHL :P He didn't score in the NHL.. That's why the Canes Lost. /nodnod /breaks into laughter laughter!.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
We scored 1 goal or less 3 times in the series and we're on about goalies. Ok.

That's because we have only one goalie under contract for next year and I like Ned, but I find it highly unlikely he'll be able to start all 82 games
What @Roboturner913 said...I would hope nobody is arguing the legitimacy of how Ned played...a couple soft goals or not, he held Tampa to 2 or less most games which SHOULD win you more than lose, but our offense was inept. BUT we currently have 0 NHL goalies under contract for next year. Re-sign Ned obviously, but we need insurance in case he regresses, obviously he can't handle an 82-game workload, he's not yet fully "proven" to be a full-season starter, or he could get injured...therefore we NEED some other 1A/1B goalie to play with him next year (and by the end of next season we'll have a better idea if he's a starter/backup/platoon moving forward)

Reactions: Tryamw and Chrispy

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
What @Roboturner913 said...I would hope nobody is arguing the legitimacy of how Ned played...a couple soft goals or not, he held Tampa to 2 or less most games which SHOULD win you more than lose, but our offense was inept. BUT we currently have 0 NHL goalies under contract for next year. Re-sign Ned obviously, but we need insurance in case he regresses, obviously he can't handle an 82-game workload, he's not yet fully "proven" to be a full-season starter, or he could get injured...therefore we NEED some other 1A/1B goalie to play with him next year (and by the end of next season we'll have a better idea if he's a starter/backup/platoon moving forward)

Actually all he gave up was 2 goals per game against Tampa. A total of 6 goals allowed in 3 games against a high powered team like that. In contrast, and I say this being a big Petr Mrazek fan, Petr gave up 8 in 2 games.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I like everything about Ned. He says ALL the right things. Does not get rattled when he gives up a bad goal, and does more than enough to allow us to win a game every time he plays.

And he did this as a rookie.

I have full faith in Ned going forward. I'll go so far as to say I think he has legitimate potential to be a star in this league, and behind our defense, he'll have the opportunity to prove it. If he wasn't a short goalie, I don't think anyone would think twice about his ability to handle the starter's role going forward, and I think we're in a great spot to capitalize on that bias.

This season our biggest problem has finally come to a head. We run far too hot and cold offensively to contend. We lack the consistency that is necessary to go on a big run. Yes, if we are lucky enough for our offense to go on a heater, we could very well go on a big run like we did in 2019, but when its off? It gets so bad that we'll struggle against teams that were lucky to even make the postseason. This problem is nothing new. We have known our offense does this for a while now, but its now become a serious problem that is holding us back. The time is right to make a big move.

Ned is fine. I have zero worry about him handling the bulk of the workload next year. He's won at every level of hockey he's played in, and not just won but shown an ability to dominate. We have zero reason right now (outside of PTSD from previous goalies who have failed) to think he can't hack it here.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I like everything about Ned. He says ALL the right things. Does not get rattled when he gives up a bad goal, and does more than enough to allow us to win a game every time he plays.

And he did this as a rookie.

I have full faith in Ned going forward. I'll go so far as to say I think he has legitimate potential to be a star in this league, and behind our defense, he'll have the opportunity to prove it. If he wasn't a short goalie, I don't think anyone would think twice about his ability to handle the starter's role going forward, and I think we're in a great spot to capitalize on that bias.

This season our biggest problem has finally come to a head. We run far too hot and cold offensively to contend. We lack the consistency that is necessary to go on a big run. Yes, if we are lucky enough for our offense to go on a heater, we could very well go on a big run like we did in 2019, but when its off? It gets so bad that we'll struggle against teams that were lucky to even make the postseason. This problem is nothing new. We have known our offense does this for a while now, but its now become a serious problem that is holding us back. The time is right to make a big move.

Ned is fine. I have zero worry about him handling the bulk of the workload next year. He's won at every level of hockey he's played in, and not just won but shown an ability to dominate. We have zero reason right now (outside of PTSD from previous goalies who have failed) to think he can't hack it here.
So you're saying we have 100% ALL of the reasons? :sarcasm: I still have some reservations until he's a bit more proven...just look at how Binnington stormed into the league (32GP .927 SV/%) and now the past couple years his stats are rather pedestrian (92GP .911 SV%). That said, he's EARNED himself the right to be a 1A/1B platoon goalie next year, and if he proves that i'd be comfortable saying "starter" the year after.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
So you're saying we have 100% ALL of the reasons? :sarcasm: I still have some reservations until he's a bit more proven...just look at how Binnington stormed into the league (32GP .927 SV/%) and now the past couple years his stats are rather pedestrian (92GP .911 SV%). That said, he's EARNED himself the right to be a 1A/1B platoon goalie next year, and if he proves that i'd be comfortable saying "starter" the year after.
Contractually, he has 2 RFA years left and hits UFA in 2023. Bridge deal seems most likely, very much like Binnington signed for after winning the Cup. But, that would that him right to UFA. But, goalie market is very slim each season. So, even with that, still makes sense to roll with a 2 year bridge and take him to UFA and then take your chances. If he does well, pay the man. They also drafted Pyotr Kochetkov early in round 2 in 2019 draft. Long term, he may be the guy they go to.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
There have been plenty of goalies over the years that have bombed after being brilliant this far in. He's absolutely part of the solution currently, but not the entire solution. A 1B with no promise of which one is 1A would make sense.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
The way our current roster is structured (yes, I know that can and will change), we've got about $6.5 million to $7 million to spend in net. And I think that's the way this front office views that position considering the defense we ice. I might be in the minority, but I feel Ned is an excellent part of a tandem going forward. I'd be more than comfortable giving him 4 years or more in a deal. He is not Scott Darling.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012

Even Brodeur, who was at his peak during the height of the dead puck era, had multiple years of .910 or less; anybody looking for a goalie to put up .920 every single year is going to disappointed. If Ned is a .910 or .905 goalie next year I don't think that means too much, if he proves to be durable and he gives the team a chance to win most nights.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Guessing Ned gets a bridge deal? Makes sense for both sides at this point. Will be interesting to see who they go with for the tandem.

Reactions: DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad