Value of: A real backup to Toronto

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Ramo will be that guy once he is healthy enough.

Babs likes bigger goalies, and Enroth hasn't performed well this year

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Hunwick
Marincin
Polak

This is half of our defense. We finished 30th last year. Stop.

every metric points to these guys being a huge problem, we really have no idea what we've got in net until they're gone. The same defense could probably be used for Bernier, he failed when he was set up to fail, and likely will continue to be a decent NHL goalie in a better situation like Anaheim

Enroth doesn't cover enough net to be in shootouts, I will say that, but our backup situation doesn't matter at all until we plug the other holes and the kids are ready to be the engine that propels this team to a winning record, the playoffs and playoff contention.

Backup goalie is a finishing touch, and an easy one to find at that. Agree that this does not need to be a thread for a couple of years

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Hunwick
Marincin
Polak

This is half of our defense. We finished 30th last year. Stop.

Not an excuse Andersen has that same D and he can play well in front of them he has for nearly a month with the exception of LA

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Jonas Enroth has been worse than Bernier since coming to Toronto which is SHOCKING since Bernier was a disgrace to earth but somehow Enroth has managed to suck even worse than Bernier.

Tonight he almost single handidly cost us the win, hell even if he had won he still allowed 4 in regulation and has allowed 3+ every game He's played.

He's been awful and it's time to get an NHL caliber backup

Who is available?

haha do you watch any other teams?

Meanwhile Bernier is doing great in Anaheim. Food for thought OP.

Exactly.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Bernier is 6-3-1 with a .935 SV% and a 2.02 GAA with Anaheim.

He's outplayed Gibson, which I don't think anyone saw coming. Not really sure what happened to Bernier last year in Toronto.

I loved Bernier during his time in LA. Had Quick and the kings not had the 2012 playoffs I think Bernier was still penned as the goalie of the future in LA. He plays a nice safe style that relies on good positioning, but can recover if the play calls for it and has good rebound control.

Toronto should stay with Enroth for now unless an upgrade is free. Enroth has put up good numbers behind crap d before (Buffalo), however is really over a year away from playing a somewhat consistent number of games as Sutter rides one Goalie. Hell it's because of that Budaj is tied for first in the league in wins. Let him get more games under his belt and his numbers will move closer to his career average.

edit: Actually when Quick is back you can have the league leader in wins for a 2nd :)

Last edited:

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Meanwhile in Anaheim...

I am glad Bernier has performed well in his 7 game backup role in Anaheim, i really am. That said, Andersen has shown he is leaps and bounds better than Bernier was here. I would have been happy to keep Bernier as a backup, but we didn't need the potential contravercy like we had with Reimer/Bernier.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Jonas Enroth has been worse than Bernier since coming to Toronto which is SHOCKING since Bernier was a disgrace to earth but somehow Enroth has managed to suck even worse than Bernier.

Tonight he almost single handidly cost us the win, hell even if he had won he still allowed 4 in regulation and has allowed 3+ every game He's played.

He's been awful and it's time to get an NHL caliber backup

Who is available?

Even if many of you fans want to blame your goalies it is 100% a defense issue with your hockey team. You have one legit top 4 defenseman your goalies are going to give up a ton of goals cause they face a ton of great scoring chances.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Even if many of you fans want to blame your goalies it is 100% a defense issue with your hockey team. You have one legit top 4 defenseman your goalies are going to give up a ton of goals cause they face a ton of great scoring chances.

The issue with saying it's the D is Andersen plays behind the same D and hes turning it around hes been fantastic all month with the exception of the LA game

So why can Andersen play well behind this D and Enroth can't?

It's not like when Andersen plays he gets Doughty Karlson and Keith and when Enroth plays he gets Polak Hunwick and Marincin

They play behind the same D.

Yet Andersen is getting his game back and Enroth just sucks

Rhynne

Nov 14, 2016
Enroth doesn't cover enough net to be in shootouts

Logic certainly agrees with this point. Which is why I was surprised to see how good Enroth's numbers have been in the shootout in the past.

Prior to the Devils's game:

"Enroth is 11-5 all-time in shootouts and has the best save percentage (.757) of any active goalie who has faced at least 50 shots in the skills competition"

Much better than Schneider's career shootout numbers. That gave me hope the Leafs could pull out the win....oh well

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
The issue with saying it's the D is Andersen plays behind the same D and hes turning it around hes been fantastic all month with the exception of the LA game

So why can Andersen play well behind this D and Enroth can't?

It's not like when Andersen plays he gets Doughty Karlson and Keith and when Enroth plays he gets Polak Hunwick and Marincin

They play behind the same D.

Yet Andersen is getting his game back and Enroth just sucks

Great he played well for a month. The first month had many Leaf fans wanting to trade him as he looked so bad. Andersen should be better as he is the starter and Enroth is nothing more than a back up. But get ready as Andersen will have some tough runs as any goalie would behind one of the worst defenses in the league. As others have stated look how bad JB looked with that crappy defense and how good he looks now playing with NHL caliber defensemen in front of him. Weather you like it or not a lot of the goalie play relays on the play of the defense in front. But hey I don't care close your ears and cover your eyes and keep complaining about goalie problems even if the real problem is the 6 guys that play defense in front of whoever is in net.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
really? a goalie on the team with the lowest goals against last year is doing well?

Budaj is doing well too with LA. wasnt even good enough to be a backup last year.

maybe it has something to do with the team in front of him?

Yep.

Says a lot about the Leafs this season.

But I would not be surprised to see them in the playoffs this year, notwithstanding their poor defensive play.

Last edited:

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Despite few leafs fans panicking over a goalie who's started a handful of games, there are some of us who actually watch and understand that the Leafs D is quite clearly the problem. Enroth wasn't great last night but he certainly wasn't the biggest issue either. He's a backup goalie FFS.

bigbabybuda

Feb 19, 2014
Canada
The Hyperbole over how bad Bernier was as a Leaf and how good Anderson has been so far is laughable....

Bernier played on a worse team with worse defense his entire time here and never had a lower SV% over a year than Andersons is now... Considering how pathetic our team was he was actually very good here. Not saying Anderson is not a good goalie and hope he will be great for us down the road but the O.P is a joke and frankly embarrassing

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
All of November? Wow, it's like when Reimer would play great for six weeks.

Almost a whole month of good tending, whoopi

I adore these arugments/points... he's sooo good if you ignore the games he's not good in.

I adore these points.

Or Andersen missed training camp completely, rehabbed from an injury, was thrown in the net for his first game with a completely new team, and took a month to get his groove back and adapt? Hmmmmmmm maybe that's the more likely option?

On topic:
-I'd give Enroth 5 more games before February,
-let Ramo take some more shots practicing with the team
-If Enroth is still a mess, sign Ramo, waive Enroth and call it a season.

Personally that's more or less how I see it going down, never liked Enroth, and I don't think he's NHL caliber

Mad Brills*

Babcock wasn't keeping bernier around this year anyways.

Whether you think it's fair or not, he was fed up with his performance last year.

Even why an injured sparks played a fair bit over him last season.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Lea fan for life used to throw tantrums every time Bernier got scored on in our GDTs regardless of circumstances, so you'll have to excuse the vehemence. Seems personal.

As for Enroth, I completely agree that he's been surprisingly awful. With that said, I'm also aware that it's five games. I don't see the reason to make rash decisions when: 1) It's few enough games to just be a bad stretch. 2) Enroth has consistently been much better before 3) This is on a position that will likely just see 15 more games the entire season. 4) There's nothing available that wouldn't be just as bad, given the circumstances.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Lea fan for life used to throw tantrums every time Bernier got scored on in our GDTs regardless of circumstances, so you'll have to excuse the vehemence. Seems personal.

As for Enroth, I completely agree that he's been surprisingly awful. With that said, I'm also aware that it's five games. I don't see the reason to make rash decisions when: 1) It's few enough games to just be a bad stretch. 2) Enroth has consistently been much better before 3) This is on a position that will likely just see 15 more games the entire season. 4) There's nothing available that wouldn't be just as bad, given the circumstances.

5 games is about 25% of his season,maybe more with Ramo there.

he's a 20-25 game backup so 5 games is a huge chunk of his season

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
I am glad Bernier has performed well in his 7 game backup role in Anaheim, i really am. That said, Andersen has shown he is leaps and bounds better than Bernier was here. I would have been happy to keep Bernier as a backup, but we didn't need the potential contravercy like we had with Reimer/Bernier.

I don't even...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad