Value of: A real backup to Toronto

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
5 games is about 25% of his season,maybe more with Ramo there.

he's a 20-25 game backup so 5 games is a huge chunk of his season

Then, who would you suggest as being a reasonable alternative with a proven track record this season to be our back up tender? Ramo, now, is a guess. Have you seen him in practice? Do you know his form? If you do, please let me know. The organization at this point hasn't indicated that Ramo is going to be signed, at least to my knowledge, which I take as an indication they don't see Ramo as being strong option. Of course things change and if you know better, again, please let me know.

Are there other options in the NHL or elsewhere that you see as being an upgrade, that at a reasonable cost can be acquired? I'm just wondering.

Please help me out. I'd love to see an upgrade, but at this point I can't offer an attractive alternative.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Jonas Enroth has been worse than Bernier since coming to Toronto which is SHOCKING since Bernier was a disgrace to earth but somehow Enroth has managed to suck even worse than Bernier.

Tonight he almost single handidly cost us the win, hell even if he had won he still allowed 4 in regulation and has allowed 3+ every game He's played.

He's been awful and it's time to get an NHL caliber backup

Who is available?

The big difference between Bernier and Enroth is one was absolutely brought in as a backup and one played like a backup.

Enroth is fine. The last game he was actually pretty decent and if he had even a modest amount of defensive coverage in front of him, he gets the W.

Sounds like the Leafs are interested in Ramo too so who knows how that will play out but with what the expectations are for this team this year, why would we pay for something that we could essentially get for free in the off season?

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
No I think he's awful because he got significantly worse every year

That's not true. Granted he was lights out first year and he had stretches of poor performance afterwards but his larger body of work was good to great considering the lack of team and defence and dealing with the **** storm that is goaltending in T.O. Honestly, I'd say Bernier is in the same league as Andersen only with higher highs and lower lows. Bernier is undersized so if he's not dialed in it can get ugly but when he's on he can control the game as well as any goalie in the league. Enroth is basically Bernier light. Similar sized but less skilled. He's on a short leash and if his play isn't where it needs to be he'll be gone. Personally, I'd like them to add another youngish goalie to build with since this year is another freebie in terms of team success

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Jonas Enroth has been worse than Bernier since coming to Toronto which is SHOCKING since Bernier was a disgrace to earth but somehow Enroth has managed to suck even worse than Bernier.

Tonight he almost single handidly cost us the win, hell even if he had won he still allowed 4 in regulation and has allowed 3+ every game He's played.

He's been awful and it's time to get an NHL caliber backup

Who is available?

Raanta, but not for a dump, Has to be a specific mutual backscratch

He is 1m per this yr and next
Can easily do half the load w/Andersson; if martians kidnapped Andy, would not be surprised if he couldn't step up and do more.

We are strapped due to McDonagh and improved Staal 5.7 and Girardi 5.5 w/NMCs both required to be protected at expansion draft
not likely to move from contending Rangers, but
Girardi grew up Leafs fan

according to cap Friendly you only have expiring Robidas, and he is modified nTc, not nMc. His contract expires July 1 just before the June draft, however me thinks he since he is expiring, and at 39 not likely to get another contract, he could do a favor and retire later this year, or agree to be bought out.

So with no NMC obligations, you have to protect 3 you would want to save Morgan Reilly and Jake Gardiner. That leaves one available as required for Girardi.

Lupul is almost identical contract.
Less term.
He remains damaged property, but not required to protect.

Girardi + Raanta for Lupul
not interested in Enroth, but if a big whoop for you we can take back
cap is balanced close enough either way.

NY can go to Skapski for immediate backup

you get big help in net and actually functional RD while losing 5.25 cap black hole
you can reasonably ditch Girardi after 1-2 years if nec

Rangers get a practice partner for Hank, his buddy, keep him sharp, and most importantly, flexibility regained by one less NMC limiting options until after draft

Win-win, yes, or did I forget something?
if not get papers to league office!

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Then, who would you suggest as being a reasonable alternative with a proven track record this season to be our back up tender? Ramo, now, is a guess. Have you seen him in practice? Do you know his form? If you do, please let me know. The organization at this point hasn't indicated that Ramo is going to be signed, at least to my knowledge, which I take as an indication they don't see Ramo as being strong option. Of course things change and if you know better, again, please let me know.

Are there other options in the NHL or elsewhere that you see as being an upgrade, that at a reasonable cost can be acquired? I'm just wondering.

Please help me out. I'd love to see an upgrade, but at this point I can't offer an attractive alternative.

Well I know he has a stall in the dressing room something that Prust, another unsigned player doesn't have, this tells me that once he's healthy he's likely getting signed because why else would he have a stall in the dressing room?

Granted I haven't seen him in practice with the Leafs, but I saw his entire tenure in Calgary living in western Canada since 2007 you get exposed to Western conference games, Ramo isn't the long term answer either but if Healthy he's capable of being a good backup, he can't be starter but if he has a better guy in front of him, which he would have in Toronto he can be a quality backup he just needs to be healthy.

klamla

Jan 3, 2016
That's not true. Granted he was lights out first year and he had stretches of poor performance afterwards but his larger body of work was good to great considering the lack of team and defence and dealing with the **** storm that is goaltending in T.O. Honestly, I'd say Bernier is in the same league as Andersen only with higher highs and lower lows. Bernier is undersized so if he's not dialed in it can get ugly but when he's on he can control the game as well as any goalie in the league. Enroth is basically Bernier light. Similar sized but less skilled. He's on a short leash and if his play isn't where it needs to be he'll be gone. Personally, I'd like them to add another youngish goalie to build with since this year is another freebie in terms of team success

in my opinion bernier is at best probably like 15-20 in the league.

the bolded is pretty hyperbolic. i understand what you're saying but lets be real.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
News flash, we are rebuilding.

Our backup goalie is the least of our concerns. I would give up nothing substantial for a back up at this point in time, maybe after expansion I would look at someone who could be a goalie of the future, but not now.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Raanta, but not for a dump, Has to be a specific mutual backscratch

He is 1m per this yr and next
Can easily do half the load w/Andersson; if martians kidnapped Andy, would not be surprised if he couldn't step up and do more.

We are strapped due to McDonagh and improved Staal 5.7 and Girardi 5.5 w/NMCs both required to be protected at expansion draft
not likely to move from contending Rangers, but
Girardi grew up Leafs fan

according to cap Friendly you only have expiring Robidas, and he is modified nTc, not nMc. His contract expires July 1 just before the June draft, however me thinks he since he is expiring, and at 39 not likely to get another contract, he could do a favor and retire later this year, or agree to be bought out.

So with no NMC obligations, you have to protect 3 you would want to save Morgan Reilly and Jake Gardiner. That leaves one available as required for Girardi.

Lupul is almost identical contract.
Less term.
He remains damaged property, but not required to protect.

not interested in Enroth, but if a big whoop for you we can take back
cap is balanced close enough either way.

NY can go to Skapski for immediate backup

you get big help in net and actually functional RD while losing 5.25 cap black hole
you can reasonably ditch Girardi after 1-2 years if nec

Rangers get a practice partner for Hank, his buddy, keep him sharp, and most importantly, flexibility regained by one less NMC limiting options until after draft

Win-win, yes, or did I forget something?
if not get papers to league office!

I like it but his 1 million dollar salary makes me believe he will be Las Vegas backup

Also cap friendly is wrong we have Robidas Polak, Hunwick, Michleak Cowen Greening Holland etc expiring this team will have close to 25 million in space after this year

Last edited:

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I like it but his 1 million dollar salary makes me believe he will be Las Vegas backup

Also cap friendly is wrong we have Robidas Polak, Hunwick, Michleak Cowen Greening Holland etc expiring this team will have close to 25 million in space after this year

thanks on the like!
you bring up good point.
You are protecting Andersson, so would they take him?
possible
not seeing the issue about the cap space
yes, you could sign a more expensive guy but you don't have to:amazed:
and
LV is starting with a clean slate, so expect MAF for starter and another 'name' guy in case MAF bombs, which is possible given he is so hot and cold and would be with an expansion team.

============
we agree it is a fair deal
works for both sides right now

I want to control this NMC thing immediately

how about...
we do the deal, and I include a conditional add, only in case LV claims Raanta?
If so, what is a fair conditional add?

since we seem to have something, would love further input from Leaf fans.
thanks

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa

Girardi lol.

since we seem to have something, would love further input from Leaf fans.
thanks

You're not getting rid of Girardi. We don't need a backup so badly that we trade an LTIR player for with 2 years left for 4 years of Girardi.

Dan Girardi was voted by users on this site as having the #4 worst contract in the whole league, http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2153713&highlight=worst+contract

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
The same Skapski that recently got demoted to the ECHL? Solid logic here!

since there is a proven track record that he can play in the NHL, and showed he was healed enough in camp from his hip operation, yes, it is solid, solid logic.

People said Skjei was a bum after pre-season.
I said rust
they kept, played him
I wuz right :amazed::amazed::amazed:
Skapper will be fine once he gets his rust off.

Girardi lol.
You're not getting rid of Girardi. We don't need a backup so badly that we trade an LTIR player for with 2 years left for 4 years of Girardi.

Dan Girardi was voted by users on this site as having the #4 worst contract in the whole league, http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2153713&highlight=worst+contract

Then suffer what you have wrought on yourself!
after this/next year, buy out if desired on G is much more do-able w/mi cap hit

Lupul is a disaster. He is a partial wash.
Raanta at 1m is a bargain, and 2 yrs of him at 1 with first dibs to extend is worth it.

On top of that, I am willing to include a conditional add in case Vegas takes Raanta, which is possible, but I would bet vs.

We will retain Halverson through the draft. If they select Raanta, he's yours.

As to Leafs D, it sucks
so bad and so much so that Girardi actually is a positive contributor

your poll is out of date.
yes the contract is the same, but last year he was a severely injured, hobbled mess.
he is not a rock like Tim Horton, and he is overpaid at top dollar, but he is earning his paycheck.

-------------------

thanks for the no vote.
other Leafs' fans pls help generate an accurate tally, yea or nay

thanks in adv

CDP

Nov 30, 2014
Threads like these make me embarrassed to be a Leafs fan...

Our backup goalie is not the cause of our problems. Enroth has started a whopping 3 games so far. Please stop overreacting.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
since there is a proven track record that he can play in the NHL, and showed he was healed enough in camp from his hip operation, yes, it is solid, solid logic.

People said Skjei was a bum after pre-season.
I said rust
they kept, played him
I wuz right :amazed::amazed::amazed:
Skapper will be fine once he gets his rust off.

Raanta at 1m is a bargain, and 2 yrs of him at 1 with first dibs to extend is worth it.

On top of that, I am willing to include a conditional add in case Vegas takes Raanta, which is possible, but I would bet vs.

As to Leafs D, it sucks

yes the contract is the same, but last year he was a severely injured, hobbled mess.
he is not a rock like Tim Horton, and he is overpaid at top dollar, but he is earning his paycheck.

-------------------

thanks for the no vote.

thanks in adv

Sell this garbage somewhere else Bern...Toronto is not the Rangers bail out for Girardi....if it's so easy to buy him out...then have at it.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Threads like these make me embarrassed to be a Leafs fan...

Our backup goalie is not the cause of our problems. Enroth has started a whopping 3 games so far. Please stop overreacting.

He's played 5 games, He's been garbage and you can tell by the look on Babcock's face he HATES Enroth he isn't our backup long term

CDP

Nov 30, 2014
He's played 5 games, He's been garbage and you can tell by the look on Babcock's face he HATES Enroth he isn't our backup long term

Well he's signed to a 1 year deal, so no, he's not our long-term backup. I'm not sure what teams around the league actually have 'long-term' backup goalies, as they're usually either journeymen or up-and-coming prospects.

Enroth has started 3 games and played in 5 - that's not even close to a big enough sample size to draw any meaningful conclusions, especially for goalies. Our defense isn't exactly helping him out, either. What assets to you intend to give up to get someone that is demonstrably better than Enroth?

The odds are he's not going to be this bad for the whole season. His career numbers are solid if unspectacular. An upgrade at backup goalie should be near the bottom of our priorities.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Well he's signed to a 1 year deal, so no, he's not our long-term backup. I'm not sure what teams around the league actually have 'long-term' backup goalies, as they're usually either journeymen or up-and-coming prospects.

Enroth has started 3 games and played in 5 - that's not even close to a big enough sample size to draw any meaningful conclusions, especially for goalies. Our defense isn't exactly helping him out, either. What assets to you intend to give up to get someone that is demonstrably better than Enroth?

The odds are he's not going to be this bad for the whole season. His career numbers are solid if unspectacular. An upgrade at backup goalie should be near the bottom of our priorities.

See I Don't know that you need spend assets to get another backup with Ramo getting closer to being healthy and he's got a stall in the dressing room so he's getting signed because why else would he have a stall in the dressing room?

Beyond that man I wouldn't be shocked if you saw them sign a Brian Elliott or Steve Mason in free agency or Jimmy Howard if and when he's bought out. Only a couple teams are looking for Starters those being Dallas, Vegas, maybe 1 more team.

I think you are going to see some guys that are used to being starters have to take backup roles because very few starting spots are available and those spots that are, are going to Bishop and Fluery

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa

As to Leafs D, it sucks

-------------------

thanks for the no vote.

thanks in adv

Mate, you guys can suffer the Girardi that you GM wrought upon you. We'll suffer with Lupul for 2 years instead of Girardi for 4. You guys can buy him out if you want, we would really rather have Lupul as our problem.

Lupul isn't a disaster, he hasn't played a game since February 4th. He is a "non factor". Girardi on the other hand, is a disaster. We have Hunwick, but he doesnt cost as much. I don't care if Girardi is an upgrade over Hunwick, we're not paying him so much for such a marginal upgrade. Dustin Brown would be an upgrade on your 4th line somewhere, but you're probably not interested in him either!

Not sure why you think the poll is out of date, considering that it is an active set of threads. If you're arguing that Girardi isn't the 4th worst contract in the league, that would make you pretty much unique among Ranger fans and all other teams in the league.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Enroth isn't actually terrible. He's a smaller goalie that needs defensive support for secondary chances that a larger goalie may have deflect off them. We don't have a stellar defence that can really help him out. As this team slowly learns to play Babcock's defensive system he will begin to look better (or if we can find someone to replace hunwick/polak). Plus, I can't say this enough; this is a season of learning. Learning how to play defence, learning how to play ahead and behind in a game, learning how to help out your goalie when they don't have a good game, learning to play with injuries, learning to play when the shots aren't going in, and most importantly learning how to play a full 60/82. There has already been decent progress over last season to now and the previous season to that is night and day. Enroth is far from being an issue for this team; plus if at the Trade deadline he gets traded for a 3rd, our backup becomes who?... Jeff glass? Trust me, Enroth (on this team) is playing exactly as should be expected.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Enroth isn't actually terrible. He's a smaller goalie that needs defensive support for secondary chances that a larger goalie may have deflect off them. We don't have a stellar defence that can really help him out. As this team slowly learns to play Babcock's defensive system he will begin to look better (or if we can find someone to replace hunwick/polak). Plus, I can't say this enough; this is a season of learning. Learning how to play defence, learning how to play ahead and behind in a game, learning how to help out your goalie when they don't have a good game, learning to play with injuries, learning to play when the shots aren't going in, and most importantly learning how to play a full 60/82. There has already been decent progress over last season to now and the previous season to that is night and day. Enroth is far from being an issue for this team; plus if at the Trade deadline he gets traded for a 3rd, our backup becomes who?... Jeff glass? Trust me, Enroth (on this team) is playing exactly as should be expected.

So you expected him to put up a GAA of 4+ nope not buying it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->