A partner for Morgan Rielly.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Just don't think he'll be effective in a bottom six role.
Powerplay, penalty killer,scorer,energy player all wrapped up in a 185 pound 5’9” package would be extremely good. Who knows the way he works out, he might top 185/lbs. then he’s a tank

Reactions: aingefan

Mentat

Sep 19, 2020
If Dubas signs Pietrangelo it is worth considering that Rielly might be traded.
I don´t think that´s an idea that crosses anyone within the Leafs frontoffice.
Our defensive woes are well known, and letting go of one of our 2 best blue liners would be, to me, a huge mistake.
Morgan Rielly is a stapple in our blue line and we need to give him a shutdown linemate, so that he can thrive and make us better on the ice.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Which I would be totally fine with.

I don't think Muzzin is an ideal #1 LHD, but I think him and AP is a better pair than Rielly and AP.

But then you pretty much have to trade Reilly for futures because you need his money to go to AP.

It's not like you can take the Reilly money in a trade and spend it in another roster player.

It's similar to how the Muzzin trade essentially meant the end of Gardiner with the Leafs.

You can keep Rielly, and AP..... run Rielly on a pairing with a Tanev/Manson/Pesce type... but it means moving a Nylander or Marner.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Highly doubtful they trade Rielly over Andersen at the same $$$.
This is gonna be a cool couple weeks.
Agreed, Mo’s much lower on the queue to be dealt (presumably after AJ, Andy, Kerfoot, maybe Engvall, Dermott, Mik) but Pie is better, and Mo’s value would have to be tremendously high.
Soooooo many trade and free agent permutations.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Agreed, Mo’s much lower on the queue to be dealt (presumably after AJ, Andy, Kerfoot, maybe Engvall, Dermott, Mik) but Pie is better, and Mo’s value would have to be tremendously high.
I suspect it's going to be one of the more interesting Drafts and UFA's in a long time. Perhaps GM's will learn that sitting on their hands isn't necessarily the best option.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I suspect it's going to be one of the more interesting Drafts and UFA's in a long time. Perhaps GM's will learn that sitting on their hands isn't necessarily the best option.
It’s near impossible to predict what’s going to happen in TO.
I just want 4-5 trades, 5 more top 60 picks, Pie and a couple of blow-your-mind FA bargains.
One cool year of AM/MM/JT/WN/MR/AP.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I don´t think that´s an idea that crosses anyone within the Leafs frontoffice.
Our defensive woes are well known, and letting go of one of our 2 best blue liners would be, to me, a huge mistake.
Morgan Rielly is a stapple in our blue line and we need to give him a shutdown linemate, so that he can thrive and make us better on the ice.
Who’s this shutdown guy you are talking about.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Highly doubtful they trade Rielly over Andersen at the same $$$.
Easy to say Andersen saves you money. Now replace him with the same quality. How much you saving at that point. Who’s replacing him

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Easy to say Andersen saves you money. Now replace him with the same quality. How much you saving at that point. Who’s replacing him
Now take that exact same sentence but change Andersen yo Rielly.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

“Permutations” now there is a great word that i never use but like the sound and vagueness of its meaning. Just suits our off season to a tee.

The possible permutation variables are staggering this leaf off season. Ha

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Dubas has a plan for Andy. IMO if he fixes the D, Andy becomes a better goalie. Unless bridges have been burned, giving Andy the Lehner deal might not be a bad idea. What we do not know is how much Dubas values the cap space saving.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Dubas has a plan for Andy. IMO if he fixes the D, Andy becomes a better goalie. Unless bridges have been burned, giving Andy the Lehner deal might not be a bad idea. What we do not know is how much Dubas values the cap space saving.
He might be able to put together a nice deal with the Yotes and get Kuemper back and more in a multi player deal adding Johnsson in to it. I mentioned this before but I’ll go again. I like Crouse for our bottom 6. We get Crouse,Demeres and Kuemper, they get Andersen and Johnsson. Equal quality starter and a contract in Demeres RHD and Crouse for Johnsson.

Reactions: ToneDog

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
You can keep Rielly, and AP..... run Rielly on a pairing with a Tanev/Manson/Pesce type... but it means moving a Nylander or Marner.

We don't have the cap space to keep Reilly long term, plus add AP and someone like Manson and only have to move Nylander or marner.

We need to move Nylander plus just to sign AP. Or we move AJ, Kerfoot and Hyman. But even in that scenario, there's no room for a Reilly extension.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I would be 100% willing to trade Reilly.

1) He is not good defensively and I do not trust him defending a lead on the ice late in games. He is outmuscled down low and u can break his will and determination to easily. He doesnt hate losing battles as much as he should.

2) He will want a raise so the inevitable will happen and u must move assets before they walk for nothing.

3) With Muzzin signed long term and from my stance the most trusted/important Dman on the Leafs u have Sandin and Dermott on the Left side.

The 1) is the main reason id part ways with him. Reilly isnt a playoff type of guy and on a team that only has 1 playoff type dman(Muzzin) and none in the pipeline, ID trade him this summer.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
We don't have the cap space to keep Reilly long term, plus add AP and someone like Manson and only have to move Nylander or marner.

We need to move Nylander plus just to sign AP. Or we move AJ, Kerfoot and Hyman. But even in that scenario, there's no room for a Reilly extension.

I'm sorry, but we could add AP, Manson and keep Rielly on an extension. I've done the math, and it checks out...

Ifittex il Verita

Sep 11, 2019
I would be 100% willing to trade Reilly.

1) He is not good defensively and I do not trust him defending a lead on the ice late in games. He is outmuscled down low and u can break his will and determination to easily. He doesnt hate losing battles as much as he should.

2) He will want a raise so the inevitable will happen and u must move assets before they walk for nothing.

3) With Muzzin signed long term and from my stance the most trusted/important Dman on the Leafs u have Sandin and Dermott on the Left side.

The 1) is the main reason id part ways with him. Reilly isnt a playoff type of guy and on a team that only has 1 playoff type dman(Muzzin) and none in the pipeline, ID trade him this summer.

Funny cause Rielly's always been one of our best players in the postseason.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
We would be idiots to trade Mo. Hope he's a leaf for life.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I get that signing, trading for, or drafting a legit D partner for Rielly can be tough.

But enough with the excuses. Rielly has played with crap D partners for 7 years. Hunwick, Marincin, Ceci, Hainsey, Robidas, Franson, etc.

The very best of that group was Hainsey, who came here at age 36 and was realistically a #4-5 guy at that point.

Look at who Keith, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Carlson, etc got to play with when those teams won their Stanley Cups.

Every year defence is a problem, and every year we listen to how hard it is to add defencemen. Boo hoo, figure it out.

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
Let's just get ekblad and ap. Problem solved. I am a fan of taking a 4/5 year option on tanev. I think he would be a great partner for morgs. Then look at potential trade options for a muzzin partner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad