A partner for Morgan Rielly.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
My view is that beyond all else, the Leafs need to find a partner for Morgan Rielly. Alex, Ekblad, Savard, Manson, Brodie...others...someone to allow the Leafs to present two good D pairings, hopefully two very good pairings. We've been waiting for years. As good as AP would be, I'm not sure he is the 'need' everyone is saying he is. Who is the 'gettable' partner you'd most like to see with Morgan. Please understand, I'd love Alex, but the cost would be high. Who do you think fits the bill at, perhaps, a more reasonable cost?

Reactions: saffronleaf

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
It would be great to address that need over a longer term. Just a matter then of what the rest of the team looks like after that takes place. Pietrangelo would be great if the cost makes sense. Tanev would be good if he can play in enough of the games. Dermott might be fine too if the comfort level is there to run with Rielly/Muzzin/Holl/Dermott in the top four.

Reactions: meefer and qqaz

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
We need 2 vet defensive defenders ... we have da offense and puck movers in house already ... we need to protect our barn ... we lost out on Edmundson to Habs so we gotta get Savard now and then Dillon
Rielly Savard
Muzzy Dermy
Dillon Holl/Sandin
Against fast skating flow through chance for chance teams we put in sandin ... against neutral zone clog middle trap teams we put in Holl ... 3 puck movers and 3 guys who protect our net

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Rielly was at his best with Ron Hainsey handling defensive duties.

Tanev/DeMelo is a low risk combo imo.

Could get the pair for 7.5M total and keep Dermott.

Rielly - Tanev

Muzzin - DeMelo

Dermott/Lehtonen - Holl

Dermott/Lehtonen

Depth, Sandin and Liljegren call ups if injury. DeMelo easily movable if Liljegren makes the next step.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
My view is that beyond all else, the Leafs need to find a partner for Morgan Rielly. Alex, Ekblad, Savard, Manson, Brodie...others...someone to allow the Leafs to present two good D pairings, hopefully two very good pairings. We've been waiting for years. As good as AP would be, I'm not sure he is the 'need' everyone is saying he is. Who is the 'gettable' partner you'd most like to see with Morgan. Please understand, I'd love Alex, but the cost would be high. Who do you think fits the bill at, perhaps, a more reasonable cost?
Manson... Gtfo

Reactions: WestCoastLeafs

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Rumor has it Dubas has been following Dustin Byfuglien's fishing boat around all summer, threatening to slap the water non-stop with his boat oar if he doesn't sign with the Leafs for league minimum.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Rumor has it Dubas has been following Dustin Byfuglien's fishing boat around all summer, threatening to slap the water non-stop with his boat oar if he doesn't sign with the Leafs for league minimum.
Apparently Byfuglien fishes from a barge.....due to weight issues.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Rielly was at his best with Ron Hainsey handling defensive duties.

Tanev/DeMelo is a low risk combo imo.

Could get the pair for 7.5M total and keep Dermott.

Rielly - Tanev

Muzzin - DeMelo

Dermott/Lehtonen - Holl

Dermott/Lehtonen

Depth, Sandin and Liljegren call ups if injury. DeMelo easily movable if Liljegren makes the next step.

Dermott and Lehtonen are not #7 defensemen. We are trading Dermott if you add two defensemen, and I would say it makes a lot more sense to not add a guy as risky as Tanev.

We can add DeMelo to be Rielly's partner, and we'd have a deep defense (Dermott, DeMelo and Holl on the RD; Rielly, Muzzin and Lehtonen on the LD; Marincin, Rosen, Sandin and Liljegren as extras).

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Dermott and Lehtonen are not #7 defensemen. We are trading Dermott if you add two defensemen, and I would say it makes a lot more sense to not add a guy as risky as Tanev.

We can add DeMelo to be Rielly's partner, and we'd have a deep defense (Dermott, DeMelo and Holl on the RD; Rielly, Muzzin and Lehtonen on the LD; Marincin, Rosen, Sandin and Liljegren as extras).

Schedule is going to be compact, lots of games with few days of rest in between. Sometimes you have to create some internal competition tetion. Doing that between Holl, Lehtonen and Dermott seems like a good idea to me.

Injuries are going to come, having adequate depth is a priority.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

It would be a real coup if KD could deal for a D with a bit of retention. Trade for Manson or Savard but also sign Tanev or Demelo. Just noticed signing Demelo for under $3M is in threads on 6 or 8 boards :laugh:

Reactions: meefer

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I was trying to come up with someone for Rielly on the 1st. pairing.

I've decided to move Muzzin to the 1st. pairing.

That way it will be easier to find a 2nd. pairing partner for Rielly.

I've even considered moving him down to the 3rd. pairing.

Muzzin-TVR
Sandin-Lehtonen
Rielly-Holl

Reactions: BM14

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I was trying to come up with someone for Rielly on the 1st. pairing.

I've decided to move Muzzin to the 1st. pairing.

That way it will be easier to find a 2nd. pairing partner for Rielly.

I've even considered moving him down to the 3rd. pairing.

Muzzin-TVR
Sandin-Lehtonen
Rielly-Holl
I don't see Aki Berg anywhere, so I'm gonna have to say no to that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->