A partner for Morgan Rielly.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I'm going to go with Tessa Virtue is a good partner for Morgan Reilly.

Tessa Virtue Confirms She's Dating Toronto Maple Leaf Morgan Rielly .

morgan-tessa.jpg

Yup just what this team needs, another figure skater.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
A name I haven't considered. Though at 58 games experience in the show...is he capable of 1st pairing minutes in a fashion some hope Dermott might be? I know nothing about the kid.

He wouldn't be ready for top pairing play. He got bottom pairing icetime last seasin, but did get a lot of D zone starts

He seems like one you could platoon with Holl on the 2nd pairing

So a guy the Leafs could use, but wouldnt be the main offseason fix for the D

Reactions: aingefan and meefer

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
That's way too much for Risto. He has been bad for a few years now, I'd rather just play Dermott on the right side.

If you take a shot you're basically taking him at cap dump prices.

We also have much better options than Borowiecki for the bottom pair.

When you say "we have" I hope you mean guys on the market and not Toronto's players internally. Toronto's defensive core, particularly their toughness, ability to break the cycle and move people in front of their own net, is miserable. They get hemmed in their zone like a group of children.

I want one guy on each pair that is difficult to play against. If Toronto pairs Dermott / Lehtonen, Dermott / Liljegren, Sandin / Lehtonen or Sandin / Liljgren, I'm going to puke.

With Toronto'a soft forward group, the last think we need are a bunch of soft defensemen running around.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Seem to remember a post somewhere of her pairing him with a puppy , I wonder how often the dog walks him in a day ?

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
He wouldn't be ready for top pairing play. He got bottom pairing icetime last seasin, but did get a lot of D zone starts

He seems like one you could platoon with Holl on the 2nd pairing

So a guy the Leafs could use, but wouldnt be the main offseason fix for the D

Don't let Soucy's average ice time fool you too much. It's hard not to be on the bottom pair when your team has Suter, Spurgeon, Brodin, and Dumba.

Plus he really arrived last season. He was a scratch a few times to start, and played under 10 a few times. But he progressed to handle stretches with over 20 minutes per game. I think he's capable of sustaining that. He's far better than Holl.

Edit: You are right, though @Menzinger. Top pairing duties out of gate would be a big ask. Especially if he's less than comfortable on his off side. I don't want to over sell the guy. He's under the radar, plays the style we need, and would be cheaper than most options.

Last edited:
Reactions: meefer

LighthouseKeepr

Jun 11, 2015
Outside Moncton, NB
Scouting Report
Owns a good (6'3", 206 pounds) frame and plenty of shutdown qualities. Can produce points at lower levels but is at his best when he keeps his game simple. Moves the puck out of danger well. His lack of a physical dimension to his game is not ideal at the National Hockey League level. Also, he is not a natural point producer from the back end.
Long Range Potential:Solid shutdown blueliner with a little upside.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Scouting Report
Owns a good (6'3", 206 pounds) frame and plenty of shutdown qualities. Can produce points at lower levels but is at his best when he keeps his game simple. Moves the puck out of danger well. His lack of a physical dimension to his game is not ideal at the National Hockey League level. Also, he is not a natural point producer from the back end.
Long Range Potential:Solid shutdown blueliner with a little upside.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Pesce would be optimal, but I'd explore free agent options first.

Reactions: LighthouseKeepr

cj19

Jul 21, 2016
Josh Manson from the Ducks would be the ideal #1 right shot D..

To Ducks- the Leafs 15th pick &Andreas Johnsson

To Leafs-Josh Manson & Max Jones

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Pietrangelo is the only partner worth going hard after. If Rielly can't mesh then its time to consider moving him before he becomes a UFA.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Pietrangelo is the only partner worth going hard after. If Rielly can't mesh then its time to consider moving him before he becomes a UFA.

If you sign AP, you're likely losing Reilly to UFA. There won't be room for both. Unless multiple of the big four are moved.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Don't let Soucy's average ice time fool you too much. It's hard not to be on the bottom pair when your team has Suter, Spurgeon, Brodin, and Dumba.

Plus he really arrived last season. He was a scratch a few times to start, and played under 10 a few times. But he progressed to handle stretches with over 20 minutes per game. I think he's capable of sustaining that. He's far better than Holl.

Edit: You are right, though @Menzinger. Top pairing duties out of gate would be a big ask. Especially if he's less than comfortable on his off side. I don't want to over sell the guy. He's under the radar, plays the style we need, and would be cheaper than most options.

Report: At least 10 teams interested in signing Wild's Soucy

Seems other teams are in on Soucy. Might not bee that cheap.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Morgan Rielly might not be exempt from trade with the glut of left defense coming along.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
It could be looked at as we will sign Pietrangelo, trade Rielly and have more assets for it. Andersen going too possibly along with Johnsson. I am wondering if they are seeing it as i did in that many changes are needed after 4 exits. Maybe. I hope for sweeping changes actually. The bottom six is constructed poorly and it can all go for all i care. Robertson is in place for third line left side. Perry would be a nice right side signing for 3 or 4 line etc.

Weak bottom six wins nothing as we have seen over and over. They do nothing too.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
Guddas dirt cheep would fit perfectlly what the leafs need all around

mark psysk as well and if we are lacking offensiveness he can switch to a forward and put up a hatty mid game lol

Last edited:

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I think he is someone management will trade if they sign A.P. It would become a Topic pretty quick.

Which I would be totally fine with.

I don't think Muzzin is an ideal #1 LHD, but I think him and AP is a better pair than Rielly and AP.

But then you pretty much have to trade Reilly for futures because you need his money to go to AP.

It's not like you can take the Reilly money in a trade and spend it in another roster player.

It's similar to how the Muzzin trade essentially meant the end of Gardiner with the Leafs.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
It could be looked at as we will sign Pietrangelo, trade Rielly and have more assets for it. Andersen going too possibly along with Johnsson. I am wondering if they are seeing it as i did in that many changes are needed after 4 exits. Maybe. I hope for sweeping changes actually. The bottom six is constructed poorly and it can all go for all i care. Robertson is in place for third line left side. Perry would be a nice right side signing for 3 or 4 line etc.

Weak bottom six wins nothing as we have seen over and over. They do nothing too.

To me a guy like Robertson should either be on a scoring line or he's in the minors. He's the type of guy that it's exactly wrong for your bottom six.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
If not Pietrangelo, how about Dougie Hamilton? Pending UFA on a budget team.

I have come around a bit on him. He is a big kitten but nonetheless extremely effective. I can see Dundon having no interest in getting into bidding to retain him after this season so either he moves now or the deadline, and now makes more sense. Now with only the one year I don't think he costs you a fortune, but again, much more than #15 . They could do the deal and still retain the big 4 intact but he will possibly be an $8M guy to resign so AP makes more sense.

Not sure about the various KD dumpster diving comments but I could kind of see that. I think its maybe AJ + to CBJ for Savard. I would like AJ and Kerfoot + for Savard and Jenner with CBJ retaining a little but there is no indication the Leafs would be interested in a Jenner move. With only a year to UFA and a bad 19-20 I don't think Savard is worth the 15+AJ unless the Leafs are getting the #21 back. and then other bits may be required.

Savard is my pick based on the Leafs cap issues. If they can get a bit of retention (AJ is paid $1.5M less per year than Savard) and move Freddy for even a slight savings in goal they may have room for a UFA RD as well.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
To me a guy like Robertson should either be on a scoring line or he's in the minors. He's the type of guy that it's exactly wrong for your bottom six.
I would like him to move up to it. Feet wet,show your stuff, work his bag off like he does and plant him right with Tavares or Matthews yes.

Reactions: aingefan

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
What's the situation and criteria?

Well chances are, this position will be rolling with the top six forwards. Hyman goes deep into the corners and can be out of the play, Matthews is improving defensively, Marner can giveaway the puck being too cute, Tavares backchecks like Jason Allison, Nylander will check only if it means getting the puck towards his one track mind of creating offense, and the 2nd LW is likely someone with little experience. On top of this, Rielly can be like a fourth forward.

What is needed is not one of these defensemen that 'do their part' within a team system. That would be the same as trading for a goalie with good stats... on a defensive team and expecting the same results in Toronto. Some teams with lack of scorers become defensive juggernauts... the Leafs would rather fly high on offense and lose every game. Who needs defense? Last time the Leafs had some defense was with Pat Burns and ... well they almost went to the Finals but that doesn't count! Dubas should be looking at someone who can handle 2-on-1's, be called @#$% by the fans and press, and is willing to pay for league-minimum in a province with the worst tax-rates in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad