A partner for Morgan Rielly.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I'm going to go with Tessa Virtue is a good partner for Morgan Reilly.

Tessa Virtue Confirms She's Dating Toronto Maple Leaf Morgan Rielly .

morgan-tessa.jpg

Reactions: Gabriel426

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I was trying to come up with someone for Rielly on the 1st. pairing.

I've decided to move Muzzin to the 1st. pairing.

That way it will be easier to find a 2nd. pairing partner for Rielly.

I've even considered moving him down to the 3rd. pairing.

Muzzin-TVR
Sandin-Lehtonen
Rielly-Holl

Rielly as a 3rd pair. People finally coming around to the truth about him.

Ifittex il Verita

Sep 11, 2019
I was trying to come up with someone for Rielly on the 1st. pairing.

I've decided to move Muzzin to the 1st. pairing.

That way it will be easier to find a 2nd. pairing partner for Rielly.

I've even considered moving him down to the 3rd. pairing.

Muzzin-TVR
Sandin-Lehtonen
Rielly-Holl

I don't see how Rielly-Holl would be below Sandin-Lehtonen. That's a pretty scary defense though, and not in a good way..

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Anyone but Manson, Brodie, Hamonic. or Tanev.

I very much like the thought of Savard if they could get him resigned at a similar cap hit.

I'm surprised to see someone so against Manson, yet in favor of Savard. I think they're very similar players. Age, style, size. What's the difference for you? Price to acquire?

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I'm surprised to see someone so against Manson, yet in favor of Savard. I think they're very similar players. Age, style, size. What's the difference for you? Price to acquire?
Cost of acquisition factors in for certain, but mainly it's that Manson has had one good season which he hasn't come close to repeating, and it's inflated his value. Gudbranson actually overtook him in the pecking order for Anaheim, which is never a good thing. His defensive game is mediocre. And Anaheim only has Gubranson on RD other than Manson.

Savard is better defensive and overall player, but he would fit into the Leafs system better because he makes a good first pass and doesn't get caught out of position. In addition, Columbus already has 3 other NHL RD signed for multiple years, and Savard is a pending UFA.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Cost of acquisition factors in for certain, but mainly it's that Manson has had one good season which he hasn't come close to repeating, and it's inflated his value. Gudbranson actually overtook him in the pecking order for Anaheim, which is never a good thing. His defensive game is mediocre. And Anaheim only has Gubranson on RD other than Manson.

Savard is better defensive and overall player, but he would fit into the Leafs system better because he makes a good first pass and doesn't get caught out of position. In addition, Columbus already has 3 other NHL RD signed for multiple years, and Savard is a pending UFA.

Well, you certainly made a case. You've convinced me Savard is the better fit, except for the pending UFA. I know Dubas said he'd like term.

Still, I like Manson as an option. And Tanev is my preferred UFA target.

Reactions: kb

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Well, you certainly made a case. You've convinced me Savard is the better fit, except for the pending UFA. I know Dubas said he'd like term.

Still, I like Manson as an option. And Tanev is my preferred UFA target.

Manson actually had a couple of good years but he was hurt and bad ths season and not very good the year before. Savard was also not great this year so in both cases you are buying low but with Savard you know better what you are likely to get as he has been quite consistent until last year. Manson hits more and fights more but Savard is a little better both offensively and defensively, even corrected for the horrible team Manson plays on. Mansons decline sort of follows the decline of the Ducks so their numbers would come together somewhat if they swapped clubs. Neither gets pp time and both pk.

I think Savard is the safer get in that he would likely be better than Ceci in all areas but he will be in a worse environment for defending than he is used to, when Manson would be coming to a better one. Neither are worth a large outlay IMO but if both were close to the same cost and term I take Savard every time. Now both aren't the same term, we don't know the cost, and we don't know if either the Ducks or the Jackets would retain any salary and retention if possible does matter as you don't get that with a UFA. CBJ appear to have more room in that area.

I like Tanev as well but even the fanboys on the Vancouver board know he is in decline. With the Leafs other salary commitments I think CT only looks good if he will sign for 3 years and Vancouver might not beat that as they are still married to Louie Ericksson (if they even make Tanev an offer). DeMelo looks good as well but he could have a club that will overpay and he looks a lot better around $3M than $3.5>.

I picture Savard and DeMelo as being okay beside either Reilly or Muzz with Manson needing to be with Muzzin. While Tanev might be okay beside Muzzin he is such an offensive black hole you probably need him with Reilly to balance things out.

Last edited:
Reactions: qqaz

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I don’t know bro, he seemed to get injured quite often after they started dating. She might be asking him to perform some very difficult moves on the ice.

I believe Reilly's lumbering performance the first quarter was due to a blown gunnion. He skated like a guy with major lower back or sack issues and of the two, which one do you not talk about even after it is healed? The nads! You don't do this frolicking with your GF, its more likely in the gym but certainly you are more fragile afterwords so you might seriously have a point.

Reactions: Gabriel426

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If not Pietrangelo, how about Dougie Hamilton? Pending UFA on a budget team.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
A Manson, not Marilyn nore Charlie.... Borowiechki would be aaaight and tight. Looking the killa part hard.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Appreciate the input. Is there a player off the radar that anyone might consider?

Hamonic is a low key option. The wheels havent fallen off yet.

Carson Soucy from Minny is a late bloomer and a free agent. 6'5" physical player. Bloomed into a 20 minute guy last season. Problem is, he's a lefty. But I believe he played right at times beside Suter and Brodin.

Putting Dermott on the right is also an option. And probably a cheap one, at that.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Hamonic is a low key option. The wheels havent fallen off yet.

Carson Soucy from Minny is a late bloomer and a free agent. 6'5" physical player. Bloomed into a 20 minute guy last season. Problem is, he's a lefty. But I believe he played right at times beside Suter and Brodin.

Putting Dermott on the right is also an option. And probably a cheap one, at that.

A name I haven't considered. Though at 58 games experience in the show...is he capable of 1st pairing minutes in a fashion some hope Dermott might be? I know nothing about the kid.

bodechek

Oct 10, 2017
AP would be hard given the Leafs cap situation. I think either Tanev or Dumba would be nice if you can't get AP

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
A name I haven't considered. Though at 58 games experience in the show...is he capable of 1st pairing minutes in a fashion some hope Dermott might be? I know nothing about the kid.

It's possible. There's not a lot to go on. I didn't straight up scout the guy, just got input from Minny fans. But I think he's underrated or straight forgotten by most fans. I wonder if GMs know better. Under the radar long shot option.

Reactions: meefer

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Muzzin. They should play together at Camp and in the beginning of the season and see how it goes.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
If AP isn't available, they should trade for 6'4, 220lb Rasmus Ristolainen.

Risto needs a new home and a fresh start. Still only 25 years old and signed for 2 more years at a modest 5.4 million per year.

To Buffalo
Andreas Johnson
Travis Dermott
Draft pick

To Toronto
Rasmus Ristolainen

With the leftover money sign Wayne Simmonds to a small "show me" deal and grab Mark Borowiecki for your third pair.

Reilly / Risto
Muzzin / Holl
Borowiecki / Lehtohnen

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017

Risto needs a new home and a fresh start. Still only 25 years old and signed for 2 more years at a modest 5.4 million per year.

To Buffalo
Andreas Johnson
Travis Dermott
Draft pick

To Toronto
Rasmus Ristolainen

With the leftover money sign Wayne Simmonds to a small "show me" deal and grab Mark Borowiecki for your third pair.

Reilly / Risto
Muzzin / Holl
Borowiecki / Lehtohnen
That's way too much for Risto. He has been bad for a few years now, I'd rather just play Dermott on the right side.

If you take a shot you're basically taking him at cap dump prices.

We also have much better options than Borowiecki for the bottom pair.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Muzzin. They should play together at Camp and in the beginning of the season and see how it goes.
If we strike out on a RHD I think some combination of Dermott/Rielly/Muzzin has to play together next year. Personally I liked the way Dermott/Rielly played together in game 5 against Columbus but I would take any of these pairs as long as Muzzin plays the left side on his.

Rielly-Dermott
Muzzin-Rielly
Muzzin-Dermott

Reactions: aingefan

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario

To Buffalo
Andreas Johnson
Travis Dermott
Draft pick

To Toronto
Rasmus Ristolainen

Reilly / Risto
Muzzin / Holl
Borowiecki / Lehtohnen
Like your lean towards toughness. Think you overpaid for Risto though.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Risto is a good buy low candidate, but it also needs to be just that, buy low.

I'd give up Dermott with a mid round pick attached. Maybe even as high as a 2nd (though would need to take a closer look at Risto's overall performance). But I wouldn't do Dermott + AJ + pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad