Friedman: A gm said he would bet the Isles offer sheet TO [Mod Warning in OP - READ]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The last report was that he was looking for something around those figures - someone from the Toronto Star reported 6.250 million a season and I think it was LeBrun that indicated 6-7 million a season is what they thought the asking price was.

That being said, if that is the case, not sure why he isn't already signed

The team was focused on the draft & Tavares the last 2 weeks, so imagine Nylander gets re-signed within the next week.

Reactions: Sypher04

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Winning a cup is better and you need Nylander to do that, not magic beans.

Nylander would also never sign an offer sheet with a tirefire organization like the Isles, or any team for that matter. He's a leaf for life.
He has just been pushed down the depth chart, both in ice time and $$$ you seriously don't think his agent would do what's best for his client?

As for your Leaf for Life, think Wendl Clark, Sittler, Macdonald etc

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
None of that is accurate, in fact some of it is outright wrong.

The Babcock thing was blown out of proportion from day 1 but the Tavares thing is a flat out lie. Matthews was part of the pitch for Tavares, he encouraged him to sign with us because he's not an idiot. Matthews doesn't feel slighted by Tavares, that's a fantasy.

Not even just that.
- Babcock has already said on the record that Matthews is the Leafs #1 center. This I'm positive comes as no shock to Tavares.

- all the "bad blood reports" are actually just media speculation disguised as reporting. With the original idiot being Kypreos trying to read to much into an instance where Matthews looked like he was pissed off on the bench during the playoffs. It's not blown out of proportion it's an outright fabrication by our media.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
He has just been pushed down the depth chart, both in ice time and $$$ you seriously don't think his agent would do what's best for his client?

He's still going to get his 7 ish million a season and he's going to be playing with Auston Matthews, not a bad gig huh? Where exactly is he being pushed? He'll still get the same, if not more minutes.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

Nylander plays RW. He hasn't been pushed down at all

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
They Offersheet Marner/Nylander we offersheet Barzal

Only difference is we get top 10 picks and they likely get bottom 5 ;)

Reactions: Albz

teleman

Dec 26, 2006
Anything can happen but the only way I can see an offer sheet is if it improves a team and makes sense.
It sure as hell isn't going to be done as some sort of retribution over another team signing a UFA.
It is a business and having a GM make an important business decision based on an emotional response is bad news for their team.
The GM said that is not Lou but more likely the quote came from Burke who did offer sheet Penner long time ago and got him...
Didn’t read your whole post but you’ve got the Penner offer sheet all wrong.
Gotta know your your history... especially when it's only 11 years ago.
Kevin Lowe signed Penner and Burke got his panties in a knot over it.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018

:laugh: k bud, stop acting like you run the show. The Leafs couldn't afford to offersheet Barzal, Islanders would match

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
:laugh: k bud, stop acting like you run the show. The Leafs couldn't afford to offersheet Barzal, Islanders would match

How is what they said any different then the plethora of people acting like they can offer sheet the Leafs players. No one here has any power, it's kind of a given.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Sorry but you’re wrong on this, Marner was a PPG player for something like the last 54 games of the season, then went over PPG in the playoffs while being targeted physically. He’s also by far the better defensive player who backchecks hard and has a history in London killing penalties.

Nylander was actually pretty quiet when Matthews went down the last time, the only reason he hit the 60pts mark again was because Matthews returned and went PPG in his final 10 games or so.

Nylander’s a good player and will continue to get better but Marner is clearly on another level with the way he drives his line and makes linemates better.

I would gladly ship Will off if it meant keeping Mitch.

You lost me before the another level remark(lol)! Marner had a couple of good months offensively but still his line bleed goals. Before cristmas he was really bad most nights, he made no one better. Nylander is the one who enters the zone mostly in the AM line, really elite on that important thing in the game, he has a great shot but uses it not enough.

They are very good players when they are on their games, Nylander more consistent though and not dip so low, Marner have a really bad shot(granny warning) and thats something you cant improve so much. Marner are streaky and need open space to excell. In the playoffs the Am line was target hard by the Bruins and that gave Marner time to do his things.

I will say that Marner could be the most overated player on Hf boards, he has made 2 good seasons but in a highscoring Leafs the numbers are nothing special. But he is and will be a great pp player, but in tight playoffs games he will mostly dissapear,

Cotton

May 13, 2013
You lost me before the another level remark(lol)! Marner had a couple of good months offensively but still his line bleed goals. Before cristmas he was really bad most nights, he made no one better. Nylander is the one who enters the zone mostly in the AM line, really elite on that important thing in the game, he has a great shot but uses it not enough.

They are very good players when they are on their games, Nylander more consistent though and not dip so low, Marner have a really bad shot(granny warning) and thats something you cant improve so much. Marner are streaky and need open space to excell. In the playoffs the Am line was target hard by the Bruins and that gave Marner time to do his things.

I will say that Marner could be the most overated player on Hf boards, he has made 2 good seasons but in a highscoring Leafs the numbers are nothing special. But he is and will be a great pp player, but in tight playoffs games he will mostly dissapear,

I lost you? You lost me during your last post, this is just a continuation of a bad opinion, lol. Though you did get one thing right about Will’s zone entries.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

This is exactly what would happen. If the Leafs couldn’t afford to match an offer sheet, then they can’t afford to give one as well. Isles would easily match.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
This is another example of why I hate the media. 46 pages? When has Lamoriello ever done this in the past? Let alone the fact that the Islanders don't even have the draft picks needed to make it happen. These pundits just need something to write about... bunch of clown shoes.

Reactions: McFlyingV

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
This assumes Nylander, Matthews and/or Marner want to screw over Toronto and go to what is essentially unstable rebuild team. Chances are so long as Toronto doesn't dick them around, they'd be willing to take less to stay put.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
It’s not just the Islanders, if AM makes it to RFA status almost every team will try to sign him. A 21 year old, 40 goal scorer that can handle playing in Toronto’s market. A GM would be stupid to not try and get him for 4 first round picks. Toronto will match every offer but it’s stilk worth it for teams to try.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

Barzal would need to become an RFA in the first place, which Nylander already is, and how exactly is Toronto going to offer sheet Barzal for enough money that NYI's wouldn't match? They won't have the cap space.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
This assumes Nylander, Matthews and/or Marner want to screw over Toronto and go to what is essentially unstable rebuild team. Chances are so long as Toronto doesn't dick them around, they'd be willing to take less to stay put.
If that were true then I don't think we'd see Nylander still unsigned, and reports that both Marner and Matthews want to wait until next summer to sign. These players aren't taking discounts, they want to get paid like other young players in the league are. Its already been speculated that Marner's camp feels they have strong metrics to compare Marner to Eichel or at least in that neighbourhood.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
It’s not just the Islanders, if AM makes it to RFA status almost every team will try to sign him. A 21 year old, 40 goal scorer that can handle playing in Toronto’s market. A GM would be stupid to not try and get him for 4 first round picks. Toronto will match every offer but it’s stilk worth it for teams to try.
No taht won't happen. Stamkos was RFA at a similar age and no one made a single offer after a 60 goal season. Offer sheets just don't occur. You guys need to let this fantasty go. There is obvious collusion amongst GMs/owners.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
If that were true then I don't think we'd see Nylander still unsigned, and reports that both Marner and Matthews want to wait until next summer to sign. These players aren't taking discounts, they want to get paid like other young players in the league are. Its already been speculated that Marner's camp feels they have strong metrics to compare Marner to Eichel or at least in that neighbourhood.

If by reports you mean rumors based on nothing, then sure. Matthews and Marner haven't said a thing about wanting to wait to sign.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
No taht won't happen. Stamkos was RFA at a similar age and no one made a single offer after a 60 goal season. Offer sheets just don't occur. You guys need to let this fantasty go. There is obvious collusion amongst GMs/owners.

It just means that Stamkos didn’t sign what the other GM’s were offering. Us fans don’t know which teams are talking to players but the players can use that leverage for a new contract with their current team.

Chadstudsky

Nov 19, 2008
Ottawa
I'd 7x12.5 Matthews on July 1st if I'm the habs. I think we finish bottom 5 this year and then (with Matthews) we finish just out of the playoffs the following year. Matthees is definitely worth 15th, 20th, 18th, 22nd OA. And if Toronto matches so be it, atleast we made a division rival pay more than intended and weaken their roster overall. I dont know why more teams dont try to weaken their rivals this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad