Friedman: A gm said he would bet the Isles offer sheet TO [Mod Warning in OP - READ]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Can't blame the Leafs. They played their cards just right.

But Tavares, he really messed with the Isles. I guess the whole "boyhood dream" stuff didn't come up in his conversations with the Isles. Maybe he just remembered it when the negotiation window opened up 10 days ago. :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 12Dog

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
is this gm an ex gm, aka Brian Burke?

Highly doubt Lou does it... no one is trying to start a war. If that were the case, Lou would have went after Minnesota back in the day for taking Parise. :huh:
nah prolly Tim Murray, he's looking for a job and cozying up to Freidge

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
Can't blame the Leafs. They played their cards just right.

But Tavares, he really messed with the Isles. I guess the whole "boyhood dream" stuff didn't come up in his conversations with the Isles. Maybe he just remembered it when the negotiation window opened up 10 days ago. :confused:

Or maybe he actually had a hard time deciding, which is why he didn't inform Lou until Saturday night? Maybe he was torn between going back to the Island, an organization that he gave his heart and soul to for almost a decade, or coming to Toronto? Maybe he was upset when Doug Weight, the guy he lived with when he first came to the Islanders, was fired three weeks before free agency?

I get why Islanders fans are upset. Losing their C for nothing must sting like hell. But it is completely out of Tavares' character - going back to the days he was under the microscope as a young kid in Toronto - to wake up one morning last week and say "I am going to screw the Islanders over. I'll show them."

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
I’ll take this bet.

Friedman stirring the shit trying to create drama between the Isles and Leafs that really isn’t there.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Also, do GMs planning to offersheet other team’s players usually make a trade to help them with cap space?

Because LL just did the Leafs a big favor taking Martin’s contract off their books.

WillTheThrill

Mar 2, 2016
Watch Lou offer sheet all 3 of them and place Toronto squarely in cap hell. Lou knows the finances better than anyone in the organization, he knows the players, he knows the agents. He is a dangerous man.
This is false. Brandon Pridham is literally the cap manager. Alsp, one thing about offer sheets is the player has to actually sign them. On top of that, you need picks.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Also, do GMs planning to offersheet other team’s players usually make a trade to help them with cap space?

Because LL just did the Leafs a big favor taking Martin’s contract off their books.
The difficulty for the Leafs to match an offer sheet begins after Martin's contract is no longer relevant.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
The only offer sheet the Leafs wouldn’t match gives them 2 1sts, 2nd, 3rd.

Personally I’d trade Nylander for lottery picks two years in a row

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The only offer sheet the Leafs wouldn’t match gives them 2 1sts, 2nd, 3rd.

Personally I’d trade Nylander for lottery picks two years in a row
I guess it needs to be repeated... the most logical targets of an offer sheet are Matthews and Marner next year.

But, if the Isles go get back their 2019 2nd round pick back from the Red Wings they could inflict some pain on the Leafs with a $8.1M AAV offer sheet to Nylander. Leafs would likely match rather than take a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick, but it would be expensive.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
You are damn sure Nylander doesn't want a dime less than Marner and rightfully so??

Nylander doesn't deserve as much as Marner. Marner outproduced him, while being a year younger and not playing with Matthews. There was a time they were oh so close, but anybody who watches the Leafs knows that Marner has separated himself from Nylander.

So you are the spokesman for everybody who watches the Leafs? I know that Marner is a Canadian posterboy but that doesnt mean he deserve more in his pocket!

Im pretty sure that many europeans thinks difference ! Outproduce Nylander by 8 points but also made 27 p in pp, Nylander outscored him es. Nylander didnt play with AM the whole season, Am was injured and Nylander was also moved from him. I dont think Marners linemates the majority of the season was bad offensively, a + 30 scorer back to back. The line bleed in defense though, a hint that Marner was - 1 and Nylander + 10 says a lot.

Nylander was clearly the better one the first half and Marner had a stronger second half(points), I think Nylander has the more complete game of them but i cant separate them from what they have achieved so far in their careers!

The Leafs fanbase follows the wind, before cristmas , Marner was the odd man out and now its Nylander after a couple of strong months by Marner,

But with the JT signing Nylander+ is now a tradebait for a no 1 D!

Last edited:

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
The difficulty for the Leafs to match an offer sheet begins after Martin's contract is no longer relevant.
I mean the Leaf only ever have difficulty matching an offer sheet if someone comes in significantly above market value for any of the three players. Which is a pretty safe bet to not happen. As teams just do not use offer sheets.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I guess it needs to be repeated... the most logical targets of an offer sheet are Matthews and Marner next year.

But, if the Isles go get back their 2019 2nd round pick back from the Red Wings they could inflict some pain on the Leafs with a $8.1M AAV offer sheet to Nylander. Leafs would likely match rather than take a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick, but it would be expensive.
They also would need to get their 3rd round pick btw.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Interesting? Yes.
Could it happen? Absolutely.
Edmonton offer sheeted Vanek all those years ago while he was with Buffalo, putting Buffalo in a position of having to shell out more than they wanted. But, the player has to sign the offer sheet, Vanek did.

Applied to Toronto, and the first player that comes to mind is Mathews, with all of the reported bad blood between him and Babcock, then, bringing in Tavares to be the top line center, if someone offer sheets Mathews next year, he's gone from Toronto imo.
Does that mean it will happen? Of course not. But it's far more possible than not. Right now, it's just an interesting conversation.

None of that is accurate, in fact some of it is outright wrong.

The Babcock thing was blown out of proportion from day 1 but the Tavares thing is a flat out lie. Matthews was part of the pitch for Tavares, he encouraged him to sign with us because he's not an idiot. Matthews doesn't feel slighted by Tavares, that's a fantasy.

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
None of that is accurate, in fact some of it is outright wrong.

The Babcock thing was blown out of proportion from day 1 but the Tavares thing is a flat out lie. Matthews was part of the pitch for Tavares, he encouraged him to sign with us because he's not an idiot. Matthews doesn't feel slighted by Tavares, that's a fantasy.
We will see.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
The last report was that he was looking for something around those figures - someone from the Toronto Star reported 6.250 million a season and I think it was LeBrun that indicated 6-7 million a season is what they thought the asking price was.

That being said, if that is the case, not sure why he isn't already signed
Because his dad is a pain in the ass and he is part of every negotiation

Reactions: Voight

Cotton

May 13, 2013
So you are the spokesman for everybody who watches the Leafs? I know that Marner is a Canadian posterboy but that doesnt mean he deserve more in his pocket!

Im pretty sure that many europeans thinks difference ! Outproduce Nylander by 8 points but also made 27 p in pp, Nylander outscored him es. Nylander didnt play with AM the whole season, Am was injured and Nylander was also moved from him. I dont think Marners linemates the majority of the season was bad offensively, a + 30 scorer back to back. The line bleed in defense though, a hint that Marner was - 1 and Nylander + 10 says a lot.

Nylander was clearly the better one the first half asnd Marner had a stronger second half(points), I think Nylander has the more complete game of them but i cany seperate them from that they have achieved so far in their careers!

The Leafs fanbase follows the wind, before cristmas , Marner was the odd man out and now its Nylander after a couple of strong months by Narner,

But with the JT signing Nylander+ is now a tradebait for a no 1 D!

Sorry but you’re wrong on this, Marner was a PPG player for something like the last 54 games of the season, then went over PPG in the playoffs while being targeted physically. He’s also by far the better defensive player who backchecks hard and has a history in London killing penalties.

Nylander was actually pretty quiet when Matthews went down the last time, the only reason he hit the 60pts mark again was because Matthews returned and went PPG in his final 10 games or so.

Nylander’s a good player and will continue to get better but Marner is clearly on another level with the way he drives his line and makes linemates better.

I would gladly ship Will off if it meant keeping Mitch.

Reactions: Muggs

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Now that Burke is seemingly retired its very possible. You wont get any more barn fight threats.
It doesn't mean there wouldn't be some hard feelings over them being used, but it's business, and in the real business world this kind of stuff happens everyday...the NHL seems to think it's a business that runs itself, on old school behaviors...get with the times boys!! Take a chance, and try to make your team better!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad