Friedman: A gm said he would bet the Isles offer sheet TO [Mod Warning in OP - READ]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brent Burns

“”“Re-tooling on the fly”””
Feb 7, 2007
No YOUNG superstar in the league "wants" to stay with a team if they can make more somewhere else. This is a business, this is why players have agents. This facade that a player wants to stay with team X is laughable. The goal is to maximize your earnings as quickly as possible because you don't know when your career can end. It's a race against the clock.

Flipwon

Jun 25, 2018
No YOUNG superstar in the league "wants" to stay with a team if they can make more somewhere else. This is a business, this is why players have agents. This facade that a player wants to stay with team X is laughable. The goal is to maximize your earnings as quickly as possible because you don't know when your career can end. It's a race against the clock.

Players sign for less money to teams all the time. NHL players are human and competitors of the highest caliber. They want to win, perhaps almost as much as they want more money.

Your whole paragraph there is not factual, unless of course your definition of laughable is "authentic and occasionally correct"

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
What? I mean I think it is silly when people just assume a player will take less money to stay on a team but you know what is equally as silly? Just assuming every single player is looking to maximize how much money they can make. Hell in the last month we have had OEL saying "money isn't everything" and taking less then he could have gotten and Tavares not going for the highest bid for him. The reality is none of us actually know what these people are thinking and it is entirely reasonable to believe that if the Leafs are offering a deal at let's just say 6.5-7 and a team comes in at 8-8.5 that the extra million or so a year doesn't end up worth it from a personal and professional stand point. Trying to act like any of us actually know what they will do is basically a waste of time though.

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
If LL really wants to hurt the leafs, play the 3rd and 4th line the entire games when the teams face off and go after JT and co. Old time hockey.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
If LL really wants to hurt the leafs, play the 3rd and 4th line the entire games when the teams face off and go after JT and co. Old time hockey.
Yeah I mean if by "hurting" the Leafs you mean handing us free points then sure. Old time hockey isn't a thing anymore and especially not with Babcock coached teams....You will just end up in the box and lose the game.

Reactions: Burnie97

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex

Or he can trade Anders Lee real cheap to Tampa so Toronto has to get out of their division in the playoffs by beating a Lightning with Kucherov, Stamkos, Lee, Johnson, Miller, Point, Gourde, Killorn, and Palat as their top nine.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Yeah I mean if by "hurting" the Leafs you mean handing us free points then sure. Old time hockey isn't a thing anymore and especially not with Babcock coached teams....You will just end up in the box and lose the game.

Couldn't agree more. Not to mention good luck trying to run them. You have to be able to catch them... which I doubt they will often... and they will get burned a lot looking for the big hit... especially when you're slow.

Giving the Leafs a powerplay this year is going to be something every team will want to avoid. That just plays into the Leafs hands to play a speed game.

Come playoffs that could be different but I think they'll be just fine.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Or he can trade Anders Lee real cheap to Tampa so Toronto has to get out of their division in the playoffs by beating a Lightning with Kucherov, Stamkos, Lee, Johnson, Miller, Point, Gourde, Killorn, and Palat as their top nine.

That's a long shot of that ever happening, and I'll still take Leafs top 9. I'm excited to see what they can do.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002

Generally speaking you may be correct but there are certainly a few players who opt for less money to either stay with their current team or go to a specific market. I would agree that it certainly seems as though the majority of decisions are primarily influenced by money but it's certainly not always the case.

For Example Sid took 8.7/year to stay in Pitt - that probably has more to do with the #87 though. Tavares just left the Islanders for less money in Toronto and even less in San Jose (reportedly).

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017

I love when people take what they’d do in a scenario and extrapolate that to predict what everyone else is thinking :laugh:

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005

For picks/prospects, consider it done.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Well Tavares just took less to leave.

skerr33

Dec 19, 2008

This is so blatantly wrong. Hockey players are just people doing a job, and people turn down higher paying job offers ALL THE TIME.

Would you move from City A to City B for a 14% pay increase in your job (the difference between 7m and 8m)? Maybe. But there's a ton of other factors that go into that decision: what if your new company sucks, what if your role in that new company sucks, what if the city your new company is in sucks, what if you love your current company, what if you have friends or family in one of the cities, what if you have kids in school, what if you think your current job will ultimately lead to more lucrative opportunities in the future?

People aren't computers that calculate the highest number and then go automatically select that option.

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
Yeah, I respect Mats and thought he was a great Leaf overall but didn't like how he left. I don't think liking him overall while disliking the way he left are mutually exclusive feelings.

I didint like it either but I understood it, the majority of the time mats was here he had no one to play with.He still put up great numbers and carried us on his shoulders.Hrm, come to think of it sounds familiar.

I guess the difference was Mats was 35, he signed his contract at 27 or 28 in 2001 becausse we were close, in fact if we had made the move to get blake in 2001 i think we beat Jersey and than pitts to face Col where who knows. Tavares was not looking at anything like that, he was making everyone rich and he couldnt even get a perminate parking spot. If you dont treat loyal people with loyalty then they move on.

Reactions: pawn

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
Doubtful to me. What goes around, comes around, and GMs seem to be quite content to collectively pretend offer sheets don't exist.

The nnly time its happaned recently was flyers and webber and Im not so sure Nashville didnt ask the flyers to do that as if I remember they lost sutter, they were not a powerhouse like they are now and maybe they were afraid he was walking

Toronto has the muscle to have any gm fired/make his life hell. It would be the dumbest thing any gm can do.Remember Burke losing it on lowe? Imagine instead of just running their chops they slowly methodically squeezed the life out of a gm and its team. The only teams I can thing of who could get away with it would be MTL,DET,CHI,BOS,NYR .Any small marlket team would be out of thier mind to go after our big 3.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008

This must be a joke , then please explain the Kucherov signing for such little value?

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Lol...Toronto fans are saying “Toronto did nothing wrong signing a UFA.” I wonder what their tune is if the Isles max contract Mathews and he has to accept it. “Why are you mad Toronto? You failed to sign him and the Isles REALLY wanted him.”
Tavares was a UFA not an RFA we signed him fair and square. IF Tavares was an RFA and we signed him to an offer sheet and the Islanders didnt match, yeah I suppose the Islanders have something to ***** and moan about BUT they dont.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad