Friedman: A gm said he would bet the Isles offer sheet TO [Mod Warning in OP - READ]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
I love how we have wasted over a thousand posts on something we all should know damn well isn't even going to happen. Like we all realize nobody is actually going to offer sheet anyone right?

I certainly wouldn't expect it.

At least not in-conference, and less likely from Lamoriello.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
bottom line, people really want it to happen.

Personally? I wouldn't.

I'd sooner see LL separate the floaters from the stoaters and redo the organizational schematic from scratch, moving forward with pieces that provide necessary contract security - for both team and player.

By the time a retooling is over, they won't have to be too concerned about players leaving via FA. They'll have a structural pivot.

The only way I see an offer sheet as something feasible would be if the target team handcuffs themselves financially beforehand. That team doesn't even have to be Toronto.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Dont know how you come to this ironic conclusion from my posts? I can see someone offersheet Nylander but not for the max and its obvious that Nylander are the odd C out here and that Leafs priority are to pay off AM and Marner after they gave Jt 11. How much is left to offer Nylander? How much does he think hes worth? The argument is to offer him a wing compare which are less then a C, and it seemed that he was on the C direction before the JT signing.

My point has always been that Nylander is gone for the Leafs at the moment Jt signed his contract. Signing a offersheet is the last option for a unhappy player and i damn sure that Nylander doesnt want a dime less then Marner and rightfully so.

Leafs took a step in wrong direction for Nylanders career if his goal was to playing a lead roll in a team and not the supporting cast.A pinhole down in the Leafs team, less primetime and cemented as a winger. If Nylander had other career goals he will ask for a trade sooner or later depending if they lowball him now , offer a bridge and then give Marner a long term contract. Dollars are important but playing time and position in a team in the future ,probably priority 1.

It can be an ugly situation, probably traded before so they could get maximum return for Nylander!

You are damn sure Nylander doesn't want a dime less than Marner and rightfully so??

Nylander doesn't deserve as much as Marner. Marner outproduced him, while being a year younger and not playing with Matthews. There was a time they were oh so close, but anybody who watches the Leafs knows that Marner has separated himself from Nylander.

FelixPotvin29

Oct 21, 2012
The GM said that is not Lou but more likely the quote came from Burke who did offer sheet Penner long time ago and got him. I just do not see Lou would do this as the success rate is low and very unlikely that any of the Toronto young guns will go for it. However other teams in the Atlantic division (like Sabres) may do it if they play well next year, or even Bruins if they get rid of some bad contracts and free up more cap space. The Atlantic teams will have to the most to gain to force TML to pay more for their top guns and they have at least 3 other contending teams in that division, if Pathers rebound. Also divisional teams normally do not trade with each other so the negative fallout from it will likely affect them less, not like the Isles who may still deal with Toronto in the future if the deal works out for both team. Actually the team TML need to worry the most is Sabres as AM and JE are friends and with JE/Dahlin combo it may really interest him to sign there especially if there is more misunderstanding between him and the coach. Rags may be another team with all the cap space they have and piles of draft picks they have compiled now. The big apple is the centre of USA and Matthews is an American born player so he may be very tempted to move back to his country. Also watched for Vegas, another team with money/cap space/draft picks and very closely located to his home state Arizona.

Isles is going to rebuild/retool and need all their future picks so make no sense for them to do this, especially when their most talented players (except for Lee and Ebs who both are UFA next summer) are real young and with the expansion drafts coming in 3 years. 2019 and 2020 draft picks are the best way to protect your assets as they will be waiver exempt. If the expansion draft is not there, it would be a complete different story. Without a good rink soon, I do not see Matthews will want to go there. If Isles submit an offer sheet, Rags would mostly likely also do one and they likely will have the better chance to sign him with an American college coach.

Think they just really need to focus on two items - get a decent 2nd/3rd line center on a short contract (2 to 3 years max) as a stop gap until they move into a decent arena that will attract UFA and do everything they can to entice Sorokin to come over in 2 years after his KHL contract expires, develop Soderstrom as plan B and draft the best available 2 way center with the 2019 pick as I know there a lot of blue chip centres in this draft, even if you do not get Jack Hughes, you can end up with a very good one. Preferably they will finish in bottom 5 this year and I think they do not even have to tank intentionally because the line-up they have today will be hard to compete with most of their divisional rivals even with the rebuilding Rags as they still have King Henrik and some pretty good forwards.

Didn’t read your whole post but you’ve got the Penner offer sheet all wrong.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Interesting? Yes.
Could it happen? Absolutely.
Edmonton offer sheeted Vanek all those years ago while he was with Buffalo, putting Buffalo in a position of having to shell out more than they wanted. But, the player has to sign the offer sheet, Vanek did.

Applied to Toronto, and the first player that comes to mind is Mathews, with all of the reported bad blood between him and Babcock, then, bringing in Tavares to be the top line center, if someone offer sheets Mathews next year, he's gone from Toronto imo.
Does that mean it will happen? Of course not. But it's far more possible than not. Right now, it's just an interesting conversation.

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
man.. if NYI offer sheet someone... wonder if theyd get mad if Toronto offer sheeted say.... Barzal in a year or two .. 0o0o0o0o
Considering the islanders wouldn't be in a position where the didn't have room to match the offer, I don't think they would be worried at all. They just match.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
You are damn sure Nylander doesn't want a dime less than Marner and rightfully so??

Nylander doesn't deserve as much as Marner. Marner outproduced him, while being a year younger and not playing with Matthews. There was a time they were oh so close, but anybody who watches the Leafs knows that Marner has separated himself from Nylander.
Well I disagree for one. Still don't think there's much separating the two.

Considering the islanders wouldn't be in a position where the didn't have room to match the offer, I don't think they would be worried at all. They just match.
And the same applies to Toronto. They have room to sign all three to contracts within the realm of reason. They might not match an offer sheet that gives Nylander 10+, but they'll just take the four 1sts and leave Islanders with the gargantuan contract in that case.

This whole thing was likely an off-hand comment by a GM that was just guessing at how the Leafs cap situation might look.

Last edited:

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I love how we have wasted over a thousand posts on something we all should know damn well isn't even going to happen. Like we all realize nobody is actually going to offer sheet anyone right?
And yet Leaf fans were met with laughter the past week at the thought of Tavares joining the team. And those same people have this fantasy Matthews and Marner won't be around long because of offer sheets.
You are right. They never happen and won't in this case. And to prove it, the #1 team to offer sheet the Leafs players just made a trade to save them millions to sign Matthews and Marner.

Reactions: Lilou

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
The GM said that is not Lou but more likely the quote came from Burke who did offer sheet Penner long time ago and got him. I just do not see Lou would do this as the success rate is low and very unlikely that any of the Toronto young guns will go for it. However other teams in the Atlantic division (like Sabres) may do it if they play well next year, or even Bruins if they get rid of some bad contracts and free up more cap space. The Atlantic teams will have to the most to gain to force TML to pay more for their top guns and they have at least 3 other contending teams in that division, if Pathers rebound. Also divisional teams normally do not trade with each other so the negative fallout from it will likely affect them less, not like the Isles who may still deal with Toronto in the future if the deal works out for both team. Actually the team TML need to worry the most is Sabres as AM and JE are friends and with JE/Dahlin combo it may really interest him to sign there especially if there is more misunderstanding between him and the coach. Rags may be another team with all the cap space they have and piles of draft picks they have compiled now. The big apple is the centre of USA and Matthews is an American born player so he may be very tempted to move back to his country. Also watched for Vegas, another team with money/cap space/draft picks and very closely located to his home state Arizona.

Isles is going to rebuild/retool and need all their future picks so make no sense for them to do this, especially when their most talented players (except for Lee and Ebs who both are UFA next summer) are real young and with the expansion drafts coming in 3 years. 2019 and 2020 draft picks are the best way to protect your assets as they will be waiver exempt. If the expansion draft is not there, it would be a complete different story. Without a good rink soon, I do not see Matthews will want to go there. If Isles submit an offer sheet, Rags would mostly likely also do one and they likely will have the better chance to sign him with an American college coach.

Think they just really need to focus on two items - get a decent 2nd/3rd line center on a short contract (2 to 3 years max) as a stop gap until they move into a decent arena that will attract UFA and do everything they can to entice Sorokin to come over in 2 years after his KHL contract expires, develop Soderstrom as plan B and draft the best available 2 way center with the 2019 pick as I know there a lot of blue chip centres in this draft, even if you do not get Jack Hughes, you can end up with a very good one. Preferably they will finish in bottom 5 this year and I think they do not even have to tank intentionally because the line-up they have today will be hard to compete with most of their divisional rivals even with the rebuilding Rags as they still have King Henrik and some pretty good forwards.

Burke did not offer sheet Penner, Kevin Lowe did.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I think Lou would be happy to have Matthews and Barzal, and would give up 4 first-rounders for Matthews. He's a franchise C.

Meanwhile, I think the Leafs might really need to consider matching a big offer sheet to Matthews (in the unlikely event), since Tavares has likely already reached his peak, and Matthews is better suited to the age cohort of Marner, Nylander and Rielly.

Best plan for the Leafs is to extend Marner and Matthews now, and there won't be any issue.

just match and deal with it later. We aren't letting a franchise C walk for 4 1st round picks, if we wait one year and put Matthews on the market we would get far better pieces than 4 1sts. Probably 1 piece near Matthews level which would obviously suit the leafs better

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
man.. if NYI offer sheet someone... wonder if theyd get mad if Toronto offer sheeted say.... Barzal in a year or two .. 0o0o0o0o
in a year or two Toronto wont be in a position to offer sheet anybody.

BearsofBeantown

Jun 25, 2018
If Nylander is asking for 6x6, we’ll gladly give that to him.
The last report was that he was looking for something around those figures - someone from the Toronto Star reported 6.250 million a season and I think it was LeBrun that indicated 6-7 million a season is what they thought the asking price was.

That being said, if that is the case, not sure why he isn't already signed

BearsofBeantown

Jun 25, 2018
just match and deal with it later. We aren't letting a franchise C walk for 4 1st round picks, if we wait one year and put Matthews on the market we would get far better pieces than 4 1sts. Probably 1 piece near Matthews level which would obviously suit the leafs better
It is an interesting theory that someone would make an offer sheet to Matthews.....but I thought an offer sheet can only happen if the player doesn't sign before July 1. They have already said they are working on his extension now for next year which would make this conversation moot.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
It is an interesting theory that someone would make an offer sheet to Matthews.....but I thought an offer sheet can only happen if the player doesn't sign before July 1. They have already said they are working on his extension now for next year which would make this conversation moot.

If I am Matthews I point to Eichel's contract. There is no reason Matthews shouldn't get the same

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
The last report was that he was looking for something around those figures - someone from the Toronto Star reported 6.250 million a season and I think it was LeBrun that indicated 6-7 million a season is what they thought the asking price was.

That being said, if that is the case, not sure why he isn't already signed
Probably negotiating the specifics idk. Plus dubas has been pretty busy with tavares and now trading off things we dont need ala Martin maybe more. Hes busy with trades I'm assuming.

Reactions: BearsofBeantown

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

I believe (and very easily could be wrong here) that you can only offersheet after july 1 if the player is a UFA that year, so only NYladner is eligible for an offer sheet right now. But then I thought once they accepted a qualifying offer they couldn't be offer sheeted, but that sounds wrong now thinking about it

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Probably negotiating the specifics idk. Plus dubas has been pretty busy with tavares and now trading off things we dont need ala Martin maybe more. Hes busy with trades I'm assuming.

and poaching Carolinas AGM. anything below $7M for Nyladner will become a sweetheart deal realatively quickly.

BearsofBeantown

Jun 25, 2018
I believe (and very easily could be wrong here) that you can only offersheet after july 1 if the player is a UFA that year, so only NYladner is eligible for an offer sheet right now. But then I thought once they accepted a qualifying offer they couldn't be offer sheeted, but that sounds wrong now thinking about it
Yes I was under the same impression that Nylander can be tender an offer sheet, but Matthews cannot until next year, provided he hasn't signed an extension.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Nylander can receive an offer sheet at any time now, until he signs a new contract with the Leafs.

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
The Leafs better watch out. Lou seems like a vengeful person. It's not like he has ever lost a superstar player such as, um, I don't know, Scott Niedermayer, to free agency.

Reactions: Lilou
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad