Friedman: A gm said he would bet the Isles offer sheet TO [Mod Warning in OP - READ]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Oh ok. . A 21 year old gets offered $23M more to play somewhere else, they are going to say “No thank you, I’d rather decline that offer sheet and take way less, when all Toro to has to do is match it.”
You think if management senses an offer sheet is coming that they'll let pieces as valuable as Matthews or Marner get to a point where an offer sheet could come? They'll sign them before they even get the chance to be offersheeted, or if the offers are too much, they'll take the four first rounders from a garbage team that just hurt their own cap situation. There's more factors than money, and we don't need to sugarcoat the situation the Isles are in compared to us to see why signing with them isn't a good idea right now. Trust me, the team is worth being excited about here. It's not being arrogant when it's true.

Last edited by a moderator:

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
He lied did he, than why when asked this exact question by Stan Fischler, an exchange anyone can listen to, did he respond with exactly what I posted?

If you say he lied, he refutes it himself, you then call that a lie... who are people to believe, Tavares (who was emotional about how hard a choice it was to make) or a bunch of Islanders fans (who are emotional over feeling rejected)?

The notion the JT screwed the Islanders is false. And nobody beyond the Isles community actually buys this.

Wrong again.

If I see RANGERS fans offering condolences, I have little reason to believe the take of someone so willing to belittle another fan base.

Toronto FANS WHO KNOW HOCKEY AND CAN BE COOL, I’m cool with.

Last edited by a moderator:

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
3137F14F-D768-4CD2-9D3F-0A7B52211CA7.jpeg

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
The Islanders are better off now.They have some great young talent comming in.Lou now has some cap to spend..give it a lil bit..Its not like Tavares has won a cup for you guys or an Mvp..He led the team in scoring for a few years...big deal...Toronto is going to end up like Chicago with 2 huge contracts that will bite them in the ass...

Reactions: Quicklime

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
Essentially, the time for revisionist history and mental gymnastics is done. For good.

The guy lied his ass off to a starving fanbase - if not from the beginning, absolutely towards the end.

He won’t be missed as much as he’ll be a target for vitriol. I have faith in Lamoriello and Trotz to adjust the defense, and in Barzal to put up points - so those won’t even be missed.

As Randall said to Dante in Clerks 2 - “If I’d have known you were going to punk out like this in the 1st place, I’d have dumped your ass a long time ago.”

In Lou I Trust.

OneBuffalo

Feb 7, 2015
Davis-Monthan AFB AZ
You think if management senses an offer sheet is coming that they'll let pieces as valuable as Matthews or Marner get to a point where an offer sheet could come? They'll sign them before they even get the chance to be offersheeted, or if the offers are too much, they'll take the four first rounders from a garbage team that just hurt their own cap situation. There's more factors than money, and we don't need to sugarcoat the situation the Isles are in compared to us to see why signing with them isn't a good idea right now. Trust me, the team is worth being excited about here. It's not being arrogant when it's true.

Sabres locked up Eichel already at this point. There is no reason Mathews to want to extend right now. He has all the leverage. Why sign $11-12M aav right now, when he can wait a year from now and get $14-17M AAV?

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Lol...Toronto fans are saying “Toronto did nothing wrong signing a UFA.” I wonder what their tune is if the Isles max contract Mathews and he has to accept it. “Why are you mad Toronto? You failed to sign him and the Isles REALLY wanted him.”

Why exactly do you think the Leafs would let themselves be put in that position? You can't offer sheet a player until their contract is up, I'm sure signing Matthews and Marner before that's possible will be a top priority.

That's assuming anyone even submitted an offer sheet, it almost never happens.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Sabres locked up Eichel already at this point. There is no reason Mathews to want to extend right now. He has all the leverage. Why sign $11-12M aav right now, when he can wait a year from now and get $14-17M AAV?

No they didn't, can you at least get facts about your team right before you start speculating about others? Eichel signed right before the season started not a few days into July.

Bushay

Aug 2, 2009
The Islanders are better off now.They have some great young talent comming in.Lou now has some cap to spend..give it a lil bit..Its not like Tavares has won a cup for you guys or an Mvp..He led the team in scoring for a few years...big deal...Toronto is going to end up like Chicago with 2 huge contracts that will bite them in the ass...
And 2 Cups?

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I'm not sure I'd say they're better off without him but it's an odd time for a star to go through a rebuild and I don't fault him for not wanting to do it. I don't really classify him as a "superstar" to be honest. He's never really impressed me much. In playoff series against Washington he wasn't much of a factor. Not that I've watched much else of him but in games against Washington he's always a dangerous player but not the same OH CRAP when he's got the puck on his stick like a lot of other guys around the leauge. I think he'll do well in Toronto but he's probably going to go the way of other "best player on the team" guys who left in their late 20s early 30s for greener grass. He'll be a good player but never a superstar.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I'm not sure I'd say they're better off without him but it's an odd time for a star to go through a rebuild and I don't fault him for not wanting to do it. I don't really classify him as a "superstar" to be honest. He's never really impressed me much. In playoff series against Washington he wasn't much of a factor. Not that I've watched much else of him but in games against Washington he's always a dangerous player but not the same OH CRAP when he's got the puck on his stick like a lot of other guys around the leauge. I think he'll do well in Toronto but he's probably going to go the way of other "best player on the team" guys who left in their late 20s early 30s for greener grass. He'll be a good player but never a superstar.

It's been a very long time since a player of this caliber was able to sign with a new team in his late 20's, it almost never happens. I actually can't think of any free agent signing that's been as big in the last two decades apart from maybe Chara?

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
And 2 Cups?
Not until you fix that defense. :laugh:

Duncan Keith, Brian Campbell, Dustin Byfuglien, Brent Seabrook, Nik Hjalmarsson, Nick Boynton, Brent Sopel

Duncan Keith, Brent Seabrook, Nick Leddy, Jonny Oduya, Michal Rozsival, Nik Hjalmarsson

Duncan Keith, Brent Seabrook, Nik Hjalmarsson, Johnny Oduya, Kimmo Timonen, (6th was a mixture of Rozival/Runblad/TVR and Cumiskey)

Reactions: Jtown

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Not until you fix that defense. :laugh:

Duncan Keith, Brian Campbell, Dustin Byfuglien, Brent Seabrook, Nik Hjalmarsson, Nick Boynton, Brent Sopel

Duncan Keith, Brent Seabrook, Nick Leddy, Jonny Oduya, Michal Rozsival, Nik Hjalmarsson

Duncan Keith, Brent Seabrook, Nik Hjalmarsson, Johnny Oduya, Kimmo Timonen, (6th was a mixture of Rozival/Runblad/TVR and Cumiskey)

while they don't have a keith or seabrook they do have a plethora of 6 to 6'2'' inch puck movers in their system. It seems purposeful and if thaty is a stategy that works they will reap the benefits of it. Gardiner, rielly, sundin, mcdermott, lilejgren

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
The rationale for an offer sheet is that the Leafs will soon have $22+ million tied up in two forwards, and they have two other young forwards that are going to demand large contracts. They are also a conference rival, and Lou probably really likes Marner and Nylander.

I don't think Nylander would be the target. More likely that Lou would throw the kitchen sink at Marner, or perhaps Matthews. Lou could throw an unprecedented contract like $14M or $15M AAV at Matthews. Leafs would have to match, but it would really hamstring them for a long time. Alternatively, a $10M offer sheet to Marner would be really tough for the Leafs to deal with.

If the Leafs are smart, they would probably try to extend Matthews and Marner now.

I think Lou throws an offer at Marner first knowing Toronto will match followed shortly thereafter by a massive 15m offer for Matthews

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Wrong again.

If I see RANGERS fans offering condolences, I have little reason to believe the take of someone so willing to belittle another fan base.

Toronto FANS WHO KNOW HOCKEY AND CAN BE COOL, I’m cool with.

If a troll’s shiny new toy takes a slapper to the knee and can’t play for a year, it’s comeuppance.

Alright, have a read then;

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/neutral-fans-is-the-tavares-hate-justified.2512871/page-18

Nobody cares who your cool with, if being irrational and getting worked up over a lie that never existed is your thing then I guess you’re welcome to it. Perhaps the more sensible among you will realize how embarrassing this is for your fanbase to be acting and grow up. Trashing his fiancé and saying stupid shit like if he gets injured for a year it’s “comeuppance” is so out there from rational i’m at a loss for words.

I’m surprised you guys haven’t sent death threats to him and his fiancé, hell, you probably already have. And if so I hope you get caught and are forced to explain that you did it because you think he cost the Islanders a late draft pick, a B prospect and some player of no importance. Seek help.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
The GM said that is not Lou but more likely the quote came from Burke who did offer sheet Penner long time ago and got him. I just do not see Lou would do this as the success rate is low and very unlikely that any of the Toronto young guns will go for it. However other teams in the Atlantic division (like Sabres) may do it if they play well next year, or even Bruins if they get rid of some bad contracts and free up more cap space. The Atlantic teams will have to the most to gain to force TML to pay more for their top guns and they have at least 3 other contending teams in that division, if Pathers rebound. Also divisional teams normally do not trade with each other so the negative fallout from it will likely affect them less, not like the Isles who may still deal with Toronto in the future if the deal works out for both team. Actually the team TML need to worry the most is Sabres as AM and JE are friends and with JE/Dahlin combo it may really interest him to sign there especially if there is more misunderstanding between him and the coach. Rags may be another team with all the cap space they have and piles of draft picks they have compiled now. The big apple is the centre of USA and Matthews is an American born player so he may be very tempted to move back to his country. Also watched for Vegas, another team with money/cap space/draft picks and very closely located to his home state Arizona.

Isles is going to rebuild/retool and need all their future picks so make no sense for them to do this, especially when their most talented players (except for Lee and Ebs who both are UFA next summer) are real young and with the expansion drafts coming in 3 years. 2019 and 2020 draft picks are the best way to protect your assets as they will be waiver exempt. If the expansion draft is not there, it would be a complete different story. Without a good rink soon, I do not see Matthews will want to go there. If Isles submit an offer sheet, Rags would mostly likely also do one and they likely will have the better chance to sign him with an American college coach.

Think they just really need to focus on two items - get a decent 2nd/3rd line center on a short contract (2 to 3 years max) as a stop gap until they move into a decent arena that will attract UFA and do everything they can to entice Sorokin to come over in 2 years after his KHL contract expires, develop Soderstrom as plan B and draft the best available 2 way center with the 2019 pick as I know there a lot of blue chip centres in this draft, even if you do not get Jack Hughes, you can end up with a very good one. Preferably they will finish in bottom 5 this year and I think they do not even have to tank intentionally because the line-up they have today will be hard to compete with most of their divisional rivals even with the rebuilding Rags as they still have King Henrik and some pretty good forwards.

Last edited:

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
man.. if NYI offer sheet someone... wonder if theyd get mad if Toronto offer sheeted say.... Barzal in a year or two .. 0o0o0o0o

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
As for Martin coming back, think he took advice from Don Cherry who said last year that Isles should not have broke up the best 4th line in NHL two years ago.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
If they are paying Komorov 3MM then it is only fair they offer the league max to offer sheet Nylander. Lou would be smart to do this cause the Isles will win the cup with Nylander Barzal and Komorov as their 1,2,3 centres. :laugh:

Dont know how you come to this ironic conclusion from my posts? I can see someone offersheet Nylander but not for the max and its obvious that Nylander are the odd C out here and that Leafs priority are to pay off AM and Marner after they gave Jt 11. How much is left to offer Nylander? How much does he think hes worth? The argument is to offer him a wing compare which are less then a C, and it seemed that he was on the C direction before the JT signing.

My point has always been that Nylander is gone for the Leafs at the moment Jt signed his contract. Signing a offersheet is the last option for a unhappy player and i damn sure that Nylander doesnt want a dime less then Marner and rightfully so.

Leafs took a step in wrong direction for Nylanders career if his goal was to playing a lead roll in a team and not the supporting cast.A pinhole down in the Leafs team, less primetime and cemented as a winger. If Nylander had other career goals he will ask for a trade sooner or later depending if they lowball him now , offer a bridge and then give Marner a long term contract. Dollars are important but playing time and position in a team in the future ,probably priority 1.

It can be an ugly situation, probably traded before so they could get maximum return for Nylander!

Whileee

May 29, 2010
If he does that, he can give us his four high first rounders and pay the 15 million. He'd still hurt the Islanders more than us
I think Lou would be happy to have Matthews and Barzal, and would give up 4 first-rounders for Matthews. He's a franchise C.

Meanwhile, I think the Leafs might really need to consider matching a big offer sheet to Matthews (in the unlikely event), since Tavares has likely already reached his peak, and Matthews is better suited to the age cohort of Marner, Nylander and Rielly.

Best plan for the Leafs is to extend Marner and Matthews now, and there won't be any issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad