Friedman: A gm said he would bet the Isles offer sheet TO [Mod Warning in OP - READ]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
Only problem with that is say Nylander were to accept, Montreal would be giving up their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick to Toronto. And if the AAV is anywhere between 8.1 and 10.1 than they'd give up 2 first round picks, a 2nd and a 3rd. Not really worth it IMO.

Would love to see some offer sheets happen though, just not from MTL who needs all the picks they can get right now lol.

That's what I'm thinking, that I'd just like to see it happen more. Maybe not worth it for Montreal, but just using a team with some cap space as an example.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Offer Sheet (AAV) Compensation
$1,339,575 or below None Nylander Laughs
Over $1,339,575 to $2,029,59 3rd Nylander Laughs
Over $2,029,59 to $4,059,322 2nd Nylander Laughs
Over $4,059,322 to $6,088,980 1st, 3rd Leafs Match
Over $6,088,980 to $8,118,641 1st, 2nd, 3rd NYI don’t have the 2nd & 3rd
Over $8,118,641 to $10,148,302 (2) 1st, 2nd, 3rd NYI don’t have the 2nd & 3rd
Over $10,148,302 (4) 1st Leafs Laugh

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
This is exactly right. Actually, if anything, Islanders fans should understand that Tavares went home to live out a childhood dream with a good, emerging team, and didn't just bail on the Island for Boston or San Jose, etc.

Tavares did what Shattenkirk did last year - left money on the table to live out a dream. I respect that.

The Islanders aren't offer sheeting anyone lol. They need to get their house in order, find a legit home arena, and build a good team before they can attract marquee talent. That's a fact. No elite player who can control their own destiny is willingly going to the Islanders when their arena situation is en flux. It's a complete joke.

And I have nothing against the Islanders. I think their fans are legit. They have great history, but let's face facts. I'm just laughing at the "Lou intimidation" mystique that is implied by those in hockey circles. You really think William Nylander really wants to play for the Islanders right now?? Like, truly?

Isles fans are upset because JT lied to them. If playing for the Leafs was his childhood dream, then that means he has wanted to play for them for awhile now which means he likely had his mind made up a year ago. Atleast with Boston or San Jose it would have been a spur of the moment decision and not something he could have predicted 6 months to a year ago. All this talk about JT saying he felt torned about leaving is just an attempt to save face.

Reactions: Quicklime

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Lou is a good ol boy and won’t do this. I think he should, he doesn’t have a whole lot to lose. It doesn’t pay to be nice.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Isles fans are upset because JT lied to them. If playing for the Leafs was his childhood dream, then that means he has wanted to play for them for awhile now which means he likely had his mind made up a year ago. Atleast with Boston or San Jose it would have been a spur of the moment decision and not something he could have predicted 6 months to a year ago. All this talk about JT saying he felt torned about leaving is just an attempt to save face.

That’s just the messed up version you guys conjured up to feel justified for hating on the guy for leaving.

He didn’t lie, Snow told him he wasn’t being traded and he didn’t request one because he was intending on staying put. Having a childhood dream doesn’t mean he had some plan worked out to leave the Islanders, that’s your hurt talking.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
That’s just the messed up version you guys conjured up to feel justified for hating on the guy for leaving.

He didn’t lie, Snow told him he wasn’t being traded and he didn’t request one because he was intending on staying put. Having a childhood dream doesn’t mean he had some plan worked out to leave the Islanders, that’s your hurt talking.

Wrong answer.

He simply lied.

I’ll get used to him being gone given the shitty way he left, but let’s not fool around - anyone that knows the business as he does knows he could have pulled this at the TDL and managed to get something in his place.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Wrong answer.

He simply lied.

I’ll get used to him being gone given the ****ty way he left, but let’s not fool around - anyone that knows the business as he does knows he could have pulled this at the TDL and managed to get something in his place.

He lied did he, than why when asked this exact question by Stan Fischler, an exchange anyone can listen to, did he respond with exactly what I posted?

If you say he lied, he refutes it himself, you then call that a lie... who are people to believe, Tavares (who was emotional about how hard a choice it was to make) or a bunch of Islanders fans (who are emotional over feeling rejected)?

The notion the JT screwed the Islanders is false. And nobody beyond the Isles community actually buys this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JayF

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
He lied did he, than why when asked this exact question by Stan Fischler, an exchange anyone can listen to, did he respond with exactly what I posted?

If you say he lied, he refutes it himself, you then call that a lie... who are people to believe, Tavares (who was emotional about how hard a choice it was to make) or a bunch of Islanders fans (who are emotional over feeling rejected)?

The notion the JT screwed the Islanders is false. And nobody beyond the Isles community actually buys this.
FWIW nothing you’ve said makes this false. In fact, given all the things you’ve said it’s pretty obviously an abject fact. The only thing you’re reasoning suggests is that he may not have lied.

He may have had his reasons and he may well be justified but there is no doubt his leaving has screwed the Islanders. This from someone who hates the Isles (check my post history), hates the Leafs (ditto), and now hopes Tavares gets the pleasure of never winning anything again and getting the due scorn for failure he has largely escaped in NYI. I’m excited to see the reception he gets when the Leafs play the Isles on Long Island, now that will be a treat even for a Neutral party.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007

I am not even as Isles fan but if he was intending on staying, he would have. It's not like the Isles lowballed him. The Isles didn't do anything negative in the months between JT saying he was intending on staying to where they are now.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
FWIW nothing you’ve said makes this false. In fact, given all the things you’ve said it’s pretty obviously an abject fact. The only thing you’re reasoning suggests is that he may not have lied.

He may have had his reasons and he may well be justified but there is no doubt his leaving has screwed the Islanders. This from someone who hates the Isles (check my post history), hates the Leafs (ditto), and now hopes Tavares gets the pleasure of never winning anything again and getting the due scorn for failure he has largely escaped in NYI. I’m excited to see the reception he gets when the Leafs play the Isles on Long Island, now that will be a treat even for a Neutral party.
That gongshow and the poor results it produced were in no way Tavares fault. Why should he have been scorned?

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
That gongshow and the poor results it produced were in no way Tavares fault. Why should he have been scorned?
They never are, are they? In the 9 seasons Tavares was in NYI the team made the playoffs 3x and made it past the first-round only once. In 24 Playoff Games Tavares had 22PTs (nearly a point-per-game). Despite those impressive numbers he was also -5. Looking further, Tavares is a career - player and has been a - more often than not throughout his career. You can say he made the players around him better (and for some that’s true) but Tavares leaves a lot to be desired in two-way play and when the Isles needed him the most he was largely absent and that’s how his association with that fan base will now be infamously enshrined (metaphorically for sure). He may carve a new niche on a team that doesn’t need him as much but to pretend his career with the NYI was all give and no take is misguided at best.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
They never are, are they? In the 9 seasons Tavares was in NYI the team made the playoffs 3x and made it past the first-round only once. In 24 Playoff Games Tavares had 22PTs (nearly a point-per-game). Despite those impressive numbers he was also -5. Looking further, Tavares is a career - player and has been a - more often than not throughout his career. You can say he made the players around him better (and for some that’s true) but Tavares leaves a lot to be desired in two-way play and when the Isles needed him the most he was largely absent and that’s how his association with that fan base will now be infamously enshrined (metaphorically for sure). He may carve a new niche on a team that doesn’t need him as much but to pretend his career with the NYI was all give and no take is misguided at best.
So which of those teams do you feel had a chance to do anything noteworthy?
I don't remember any that i thought failed to deliver on some serious potential. What i did see was a steady stream of poor management/ownership decisions that were certainly deserving of scorn.

OneBuffalo

Feb 7, 2015
Davis-Monthan AFB AZ
I hope Toronto fails to sign Mathews and the Isles offer Mathews the max term and the max contract (20% of the cap). As soon as they match, hit them with another offer for Marner, but just below that amount to where you only have to give up a 1,2, and 3.

OneBuffalo

Feb 7, 2015
Davis-Monthan AFB AZ
Lol...Toronto fans are saying “Toronto did nothing wrong signing a UFA.” I wonder what their tune is if the Isles max contract Mathews and he has to accept it. “Why are you mad Toronto? You failed to sign him and the Isles REALLY wanted him.”

BearsofBeantown

Jun 25, 2018
Its funny that the chatter about this is becoming more wide spread. Well Nylander said he was looking for a 6 year 36+ Million contract - wonder if the leafs want to pay that right now with Marner and Matthews due for new contracts next season. Its nice to see the Leafs are stocking up on offense....sad that the hole they needed to plug was on defense.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Lol...Toronto fans are saying “Toronto did nothing wrong signing a UFA.” I wonder what their tune is if the Isles max contract Mathews and he has to accept it. “Why are you mad Toronto? You failed to sign him and the Isles REALLY wanted him.”
We signed a UFA. NYI will have used an offer sheet to retaliate for losing their UFA, for reasons mostly of their own organization's doing.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I hope Toronto fails to sign Mathews and the Isles offer Mathews the max term and the max contract (20% of the cap). As soon as they match, hit them with another offer for Marner, but just below that amount to where you only have to give up a 1,2, and 3.
Oh one other thing that I forgot to mention. No way in hell does any of our young guns sign an offer sheet to play for the Islanders without Tavares when they can be paid fairly here and be part of a contender long term.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Its funny that the chatter about this is becoming more wide spread. Well Nylander said he was looking for a 6 year 36+ Million contract - wonder if the leafs want to pay that right now with Marner and Matthews due for new contracts next season. Its nice to see the Leafs are stocking up on offense....sad that the hole they needed to plug was on defense.

If Nylander is asking for 6x6, we’ll gladly give that to him.

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

OneBuffalo

Feb 7, 2015
Davis-Monthan AFB AZ
Oh one other thing that I forgot to mention. No way in hell does any of our young guns sign an offer sheet to play for the Islanders without Tavares when they can be paid fairly here and be part of a contender long term.
Oh ok. . A 21 year old gets offered $23M more to play somewhere else, they are going to say “No thank you, I’d rather decline that offer sheet and take way less, when all Toro to has to do is match it.”

Reactions: flamesforcup

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The rationale for an offer sheet is that the Leafs will soon have $22+ million tied up in two forwards, and they have two other young forwards that are going to demand large contracts. They are also a conference rival, and Lou probably really likes Marner and Nylander.

I don't think Nylander would be the target. More likely that Lou would throw the kitchen sink at Marner, or perhaps Matthews. Lou could throw an unprecedented contract like $14M or $15M AAV at Matthews. Leafs would have to match, but it would really hamstring them for a long time. Alternatively, a $10M offer sheet to Marner would be really tough for the Leafs to deal with.

If the Leafs are smart, they would probably try to extend Matthews and Marner now.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Oh ok. . A 21 year old gets offered $23M more to play somewhere else, they are going to say “No thank you, I’d rather decline that offer sheet and take way less, when all Toro to has to do is match it.”
Tend to agree...

Matthews didn't grow up in TML pajamas.

Going forward...
Matthews+Barzal > Matthews+Tavares ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad