Post-Game Talk: A frustrating 5-2 loss to Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Crazy how much one draft spot can change things.

We could have had Rantanen but instead got Crouse.

But our drafting was still bad bc there were a couple quality pics left. Bad miss.

Yeah, the Rantanen one hurts for sure, but not a lot we could have done. Players such as Barzal going afterwards hurts more imo because they were still on board!

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
The problem is it's going to take more than a 5 or 10 game winning streak to get people back.

The organization needs at least two consecutive years of playoffs to win people over I think.

We are talking long term and sustained success.
I think a small playoff run would help to get a respectable crowd on a somewhat consistent basis.

I agree though that A true following requires consistent playoff runs.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
It’s quite astonishing that this far into the season and our goalies haven’t stolen us a single win yet. Even the worst teams in the league have one or two wins where they were severely outplayed but got two points. Unreal

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
It’s quite astonishing that this far into the season and our goalies haven’t stolen us a single win yet. Even the worst teams in the league have one or two wins where they were severely outplayed but got two points. Unreal

Flyers win? And you could argue the Jets win and the second Isles win.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Only Ottawa's team of Anderson/McKenna/Condon have allowed more goalsover expected goals against than Florida.

fwiw Colorado's expected goals for was 2.54

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006

I think there were a couple games where Lu stole the game for us. Philly at least.

I completely agree that goalies have been bad and we need that fixed as top priority. But as has been said before, this is not a good team. With good goaltending we are competing for a playoff spot, basically average. Which is fine, better than what we have now, but we are still just mediocre.

Reactions: Kid Icarus

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Not really.

Goal 2 yeah, but 1 and 4 I don't see it as Lu's fault.
Same here. Goal 2 was critical though. We had them on the ropes a bit.

Next, goal 3, obviously the back breaker. When the pressure is on, they should just learn to flip the puck out instead of trying along the boards. A goal or scoring chance is worse than icing.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
I think there were a couple games where Lu stole the game for us. Philly at least.

I completely agree that goalies have been bad and we need that fixed as top priority. But as has been said before, this is not a good team. With good goaltending we are competing for a playoff spot, basically average. Which is fine, better than what we have now, but we are still just mediocre.

Exactly.

Put a great goalie on this team and we’d maybe slide into the wild card spot. Yay?

We’d just get destroyed by a real team like Tampa or Washington.

Our d is mediocre and our forwards have no depth past line 2.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
With league average goaltending Florida's easily in WC1 right now. I agree that it's not like we're missing out on some world beating team, but for a franchise that's made the playoffs 5 times in almost 30 years, to miss the playoffs due to something that's literally never been an issue and completely out of left field is frustrating.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
Only Ottawa's team of Anderson/McKenna/Condon have allowed more goalsover expected goals against than Florida.

fwiw Colorado's expected goals for was 2.54

What was our expected goals?

I don't understand the organization's hesitation to call up Montenbeault or Hawrlyuk.

They keep trying to the same thing, and the same thing keeps happening. Its insanity.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
With league average goaltending Florida's easily in WC1 right now. I agree that it's not like we're missing out on some world beating team, but for a franchise that's made the playoffs 5 times in almost 30 years, to miss the playoffs due to something that's literally never been an issue and completely out of left field is frustrating.

Disagree.

Putting average goaltending on this team is not gonna turn our five 3rd pairing defenders into better players.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
What was our expected goals?

I don't understand the organization's hesitation to call up Montenbeault or Hawrlyuk.

They keep trying to the same thing, and the same thing keeps happening. Its insanity.

Chartinghockey has Florida at 2.3.

Corsica had Colorado at 3.85 and Florida at 3.84

Bottom line is it was a close game. Luongo has been consistently inconsistent but generally serviceable. If Florida's in the race when he goes down again and they don't acquire a goalie I'm going to be pissed.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006

This is were I'll have to disagree a bit.

If we had league average goaltending, we would have a +6 goal differential, Which looks good enough for WC1.

But that is simplistic because it assumes we would have scored the same amount of goals, but score effects during games have an impact on how teams play and it's been clear that we are way more aggressive when behind or tied, and way more passive with the lead. So more likely with average goaltending, we are about close to a 0 goal differential and fighting for a wild card. Maybe hanging on to a spot, but it's not clear cut.

This is also not out of left field. I think several people had already pointed out goal as a big question mark heading into the season, but we were being hopeful. Last season Lu's health was a problem and only an improbable hot steak by Sateri kept us in it. Reimer was actually inconsistent as he always has been, but good at the right time.

Also the fact that this management continues to let the situation continue is just unacceptable. Season is slipping away fast and already playoffs are along shot. Do something!

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

If we had league average goaltending, we would have a +6 goal differential, Which looks good enough for WC1.

But that is simplistic because it assumes we would have scored the same amount of goals, but score effects during games have an impact on how teams play and it's been clear that we are way more aggressive when behind or tied, and way more passive with the lead. So more likely with average goaltending, we are about close to a 0 goal differential and fighting for a wild card. Maybe hanging on to a spot, but it's not clear cut.

This is also not out of left field. I think several people had already pointed out goal as a big question mark heading into the season, but we were being hopeful. Last season Lu's health was a problem and only an improbable hot steak by Sateri kept us in it. Reimer was actually inconsistent as he always has been, but good at the right time.

Also the fact that this management continues to let the situation continue is just unacceptable. Season is slipping away fast and already playoffs are along shot. Do something!

What can be done?

A lot of teams are looking to improve their goaltending. What would the price be? Quite expensive considering the scarcity of good available goaltenders. Who could be had realistically that would definitely improve the situation?

harv33173

Oct 5, 2003
I don't think that we were severely outplayed in these games, but good goaltending was the key factor.
problem is none of our callups are scoring any goals! they are playing well in both the offensive and defensive zones, but they have to chip in some goals. trocheck is really missed!!!!!!

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

As ive said, this is tallons biggest weakness. He has too much of a casual attitude towards goaltending. Most teams focus heavily on developing goaltenders and it pays off because when the starter goes down, they are able to dip into their farm and hardly miss a beat.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013

Chartinghockey has them at -18 but even -6 is 2 wins.

I also disagree that this was out of left field, the main issue has been Reimer's play. I have never been a fan because he's way too inconsistent but he's always played at about league average and he's been hot garbage this year, he's forgotten how to play laterally.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
problem is none of our callups are scoring any goals! they are playing well in both the offensive and defensive zones, but they have to chip in some goals. trocheck is really missed!!!!!!

Didn't Haley score as many even strength points in less games than Trocheck?

Yeah, Trocheck wasn't that good before he went down injured. I guess he was doing well on the PP, but in all fairness the PP is still doing great even without him!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad