Post-Game Talk: A frustrating 5-2 loss to Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
The problem with xG is that doesn't seem to capture what component of it is due to bad coaching.
- The SHG was because our PP turned the puck over, which has happened multiple times this year.
- The 3rd goal occurred because our 3rd line got hemmed in, missed multiple clearing attempts
- Once the Avs got the lead they just played defense, and our top line was gassed

The simple solution for goaltending is to call up Montembeault.

The bottom six should not contain all of Haley, Brouwer, Hunt. Lammiko should not play wing, his lack of speed shows up there.

Here is how I construct the bottom six:
Hawrlyuk - Malgin - Bjugstad
Hunt - Lammiko - Sceviour

Malgin plays on PP2, Give Hunt/Hawrlyuk a look on the PK.

I would also call up Macdonald and sit Matheson for a few games, he needs to face some consequence for his shitty play.

We've seen this iteration of the Panthers for a large enough sample size to know this is what they are. I fear nothing will change this season because the organization seems content with how the season is progressing.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
What can be done?

A lot of teams are looking to improve their goaltending. What would the price be? Quite expensive considering the scarcity of good available goaltenders. Who could be had realistically that would definitely improve the situation?

They could call up our future goalie who has been doing well in the AHL. This notion that a few games in the NHL will ruin his development is absurd. Give him a shot to see what he can do, if he bombs, send him back.

If he's so mentally weak that a few bad games in the NHL could ruin him, he doesn't have a chance anyways. I'm all for taking time to develop our guys, but this is just stupid when your big club is about to flush another season down the toilet.

Last edited:

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Chartinghockey has them at -18 but even -6 is 2 wins.

I also disagree that this was out of left field, the main issue has been Reimer's play. I have never been a fan because he's way too inconsistent but he's always played at about league average and he's been hot garbage this year, he's forgotten how to play laterally.

League average sv% is .901, our sv% is 0.889. we have 845 shots against. If we had the league average sv % that adds another roughly 10 goals saved.

Our current goal differential is -6, so add another 10 goals and we get to +4. I think most previous +6 was actually calculated wrong.

Anyways, point is, even with league average goaltending, we are just fighting for aWC spot. I would take that any day over the garbage we have now, but it's still pretty mediocre. Not this top tier team people keep saying we have if only we had the goaltending.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
They could call up our future goalie who has been doing well in the AHL. This notion that a few games in the NHL will ruin his development is absurd. Give him a shot to see what he can do, if he bombs, send him back.

If he's so mentally weak that a few bad games in the NHL could ruin him, he doesn't have a chance anyways. I'm all for taking time to develop our guys, but this is just stupid when your big club is about to flush another season down the toilet.

Fair enough. That makes the most sense to me out of the potential options, instead of throwing a lot to get a mediocre NHL goaltender.

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
Bjugstad quietly pacing for 30 points and 12 goals.

Really incredible how bad he is/how much he's paid/he was protected/Tallon said he'd get 60 points this year.

Cannot wait until he's gone

Reactions: 5 Hole

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

Really incredible how bad he is/how much he's paid/he was protected/Tallon said he'd get 60 points this year.

Protecting Petrovic/Pysyk was worse imo. I mean Petrovic has been a healthy scratch numerous times since the expansion draft.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015

I proposed Bjugstad for Coyle and a couple Minny fans seem to agree.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Fair enough. That makes the most sense to me out of the potential options, instead of throwing a lot to get a mediocre NHL goaltender.

Yeah I don't think we should go out to trade for a goalie now as most teams would obviously see we are desperate in net and try to fleece us. But I am really surprised we don't at least give monty a chance, it's really bizarre.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
"Play 60 Minutes" , so cliché

But the fact is that no team does that. Hockey is a momentum game.

But you said it yourself, good teams will find ways to win games with that extra jump when needed. Just like the avs did last night and Tampa coming back from 1-4.

We looked pretty solid in the second period, we dominated at some point. The avs, while being dominated, found a way to limit the damages and they took over us in te third to win the game. That's what good teams do. It has nothing to do with us not playing full 60 minutes. It was about an average team playing a very good one.
The last time I saw 3 decent periods from the Cats was the other night against a Bruins roster containing many AHL regulars. Prior to that you're lucky if you see 1 or 2 games per season where they can actually play 3 periods of hockey. Put them against most top 20 teams in the NHL and they can only muster enough energy for 2 periods.

Mr. Boo refuses to give the other lines TOI because he's afraid of losing his job. So it's ground hog day all over again as Barkov already looks drained. If Tro were healthy it would be an exact repeat of last year without the solid goaltending. What's amazing is when Boo is forced to give TOI to Jared McCann, he produces. In other words if you don't give TOI to the rest of your players because you fear they aren't good enough, then that lack of coaching confidence bleeds into their psyche and they become tentative and afraid to make mistakes.

Last night you saw the difference between Joe Sakic and Dale Tallon. Av's were a 48 pt team in 16-17 and both MacKinnon and Landeskog were playing like they wanted out. Rantanen turns into a stud the following season, the Duchene trade works magic and bingo a wild card slot. Luck? Sure that's part of it but you need to have someone in charge that knows what he's doing, instead of slinging mud against the wall and hoping some sticks. Tallon is a good guy but an abomination as a GM. :(

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
"Play 60 Minutes" , so cliché

But the fact is that no team does that. Hockey is a momentum game.

Sorry it is not, i dont know which Game it was, maybe it was last Week, or the Week befor. Moment let me check.
There a tone of games already, where the Team dominated the other once and never stop playing hockey not a single second back up. In the Game i watched noth commentary mention, normal the team leading by 5 Goals would back off, but that Team was hungry so they keep on playing Hockey. And dominated the Game.

Flames - Coyotes 6-1 60 Minutes Hockey.
Vegas - Chicago 8-3 60 Minutes Hockey.
Coyotes - Blues 6-1 60 Minutes Hockey

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
What's amazing is when Boo is forced to give TOI to Jared McCann, he produces. In other words if you don't give TOI to the rest of your players because you fear they aren't good enough, then that lack of coaching confidence bleeds into their psyche and they become tentative and afraid to make mistakes.

I hope you dont say McCann is a good Player wo need only more TOI, i would say his complete Game he showes in his current Position and the current Lines he is matching, speaks complete against what you are try to sell.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
I hope you dont say McCann is a good Player wo need only more TOI, i would say his complete Game he showes in his current Position and the current Lines he is matching, speaks complete against what you are try to sell.
I'm trying to sell some popcorn here and you're selling cotton candy. If you don't think McCann has stepped up his game since moving to the 2nd line, then you need to start making that cotton candy with carrots. :)

Reactions: GermanPanther

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA

Also, somehow Markstrom still has a job after being "ruined".

And it was stupid* (or very fishy) to protect anyone that isn't named Barkov over our leading goal scorer.

23YearsandCounting

Oct 11, 2018
This. If you're not going to make a trade at least call guys up, shake things up a bit. Plenty of deserving guys in Springfield.

How about he holds a press conference asking the fan base to be patient. Bahahahahahahahaahajahajajajajajajahahahahahahahajajajajajajajajaajaja

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC
Flames - Coyotes 6-1 60 Minutes Hockey.
Vegas - Chicago 8-3 60 Minutes Hockey.
Coyotes - Blues 6-1 60 Minutes Hockey

Of course it's going to happen from times to times.

But my point stands. Even the best teams don't play 60 minutes of good hockey on a regular basis. That would be the case, a team like Tampa Bay would always win 6-1.

The problem with the Panthers is not that they can't play 60 minutes of good hockey. The problem is that they play 20-30 minutes at best. And they can't protect a lead when the other teams are taking over.

From times to times it can be because of a lack of effort, but most of the times it's only because they're just an average team and don't have the tools to be better. And of course, the bad goaltending we've had this season doesn't help.

Even with good work and good effort, you can't ask a team like the Panthers to give you 3 full periods of good hockey. Especially against top tier teams. That is not going to happen.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
I'm trying to sell some popcorn here and you're selling cotton candy. If you don't think McCann has stepped up his game since moving to the 2nd line, then you need to start making that cotton candy with carrots. :)

Since I'm a sugar freak, I really like Cotton Candy.
But I'm also easy to feed carrots, so I trust the Rabbit who see for me that McCann plays like popcorn.
It's starts with a solid corn, then heated up with nothing else then hot Air and in the End you gain some salt over it and when it taste slightly bitter. You taste it with sugar to feel better. :);):sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad