Prospect Info: 85th Overall - Brett Harrison

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
You really think that's all there is to it?

One is a winger, the other is a pivot who can play all three forward positions and being more versatile.

One just does the bare minimum to work on his game, the other is a student of the game and knows what he has to do to become a better player AND puts in 100% effort to improving.

One player's report was written when he played a full season in his draft year, the other was from TWO years ago who missed almost his entire draft year.

If you want to (and think its right) to compare players by written scouting reports, be my guest. I don't know what to tell you. Watch the player's and do an honest evaluation then we can have an adult conversation.

I will say this without naming names: One independent scouting agency raves about Harrison's skating. Every other one raises questions about his skating.

Again, without watching them yourself, how do you know which one is correct?

Anyway, I'm done. Before I say something that will get me in trouble. You keep being the smartest one in the room.

Lol im just saying your report of harrison looks like you plagarized your report of gadjovich from a few years ago. (Who im not sure why your dumping on him, i think hes good, he scored 15 in 19 in utica last year). Honestly the main parts of their games, size, mentality, style, seem to be the same. (According to you). So one studies and one doesnt? One can play center (wont in nhl if he cant skate, he’ll play wing)and one cant? Thats it? I have one…one is named jonah and the other is named brett.

sorry edit/ i missed your question about who to trust on conflicting scouting reports about skills. I go with either the majority, or the one that better suits whichever argument i want to make on here. However in this case, i went majority

Last edited by a moderator:

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
https://thehockeywriters.com/2021-nhl-draft-must-have-prospects/
Brett Harrison

Quick. There were three OHL rookies who reached 20 goals during the 2019-20 season. Know who they are without looking? It was Mason McTavish, Shane Wright (2022) and Harrison. He already has the size and is only going to get stronger. He can create space and can score from around the net. For someone projected to go in the third round on some boards, that’s sneaky good value to land a pivot with some upside.

Reactions: TwineTickler

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Lol im just saying your report of harrison looks like you plagarized your report of gadjovich from a few years ago. (Who im not sure why your dumping on him, i think hes good, he scored 15 in 19 in utica last year). Honestly the main parts of their games, size, mentality, style, seem to be the same. (According to you). So one studies and one doesnt? One can play center (wont in nhl if he cant skate, he’ll play wing)and one cant? Thats it? I have one…one is named jonah and the other is named brett.

sorry edit/ i missed your question about who to trust on conflicting scouting reports about skills. I go with either the majority, or the one that better suits whichever argument i want to make on here. However in this case, i went majority
The man watches games, you read articles. Cmon man…..

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
I love that he's an actual Bruins fan and his fave player is bergy. that's always the best.

with some luck they overlap on a couple of seasons before bergy hangs them up.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
The man watches games, you read articles. Cmon man…..

so what? Im reading articles written by people that know what they are looking at when they watch games. Im not a scout. I could watch the game and come away with one thing and the scouting director of tampa comes away with the opposite. Id lean towards trusting the later eye than the former since im not a professional scout. Im just great at making comps based off pro scouts evaluations and forecasting potential fit long term. Like..great at it. For instance harrison to me reads a player like jonah gadjovich or nick ritchie as his ceiling. You all may dislike my genius for some reason but beethoven had his critics too.

Reactions: Jim

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
so what? Im reading articles written by people that know what they are looking at when they watch games. Im not a scout. I could watch the game and come away with one thing and the scouting director of tampa comes away with the opposite. Id lean towards trusting the later eye than the former since im not a professional scout. Im just great at making comps based off pro scouts evaluations and forecasting potential fit long term. Like..great at it. For instance harrison to me reads a player like jonah gadjovich or nick ritchie as his ceiling. You all may dislike my genius for some reason but beethoven had his critics too.

Great point.

I'm convinced

Reactions: Richard Lather

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I listen to at least 20 podcasts last 2 weeks on the prospects and draft (when you aren’t working and/or driving around or walk-ing dog sure is relaxing) and subscribe or get team NHL info so I got a lot of stuff.

It all goes against what a poster is writing here and it ain’t Dom.

I had heard and read enough to conclude Harrison could have been a top 20 pick without the pandemic a la Jack Quinn.

if he ends up sucking multiple people who actually watch him and pay their bills doing so missed. I could not find a lot of negativity about his skating but then again in his interview he alluded to 3 days a week now he’s on the ice with his power skating coach working on quickness and explosiveness

which is interesting because

“he might be one of the more pure finishers in the draft”- scout

“He gets a couple of chances a game because he goes to the right spots, and he finishes them. He’s a bigger body, but he thinks he’s a smaller skill player, so there’s real potential there if he adds more consistency and jam to his game. He could be a terror.” - Scout

“Excellent instincts and vision….outstanding athleticism & very nimble on skates. Pounces all over rebounds….super fast pivots create separation in tight spaces” Scout

negatives
“I liked him more in Oshawa than this year in Finland. I was disappointed in his work ethic, he was more aggressive and harder on pucks with Oshawa, but may be bigger ice surface. I always thought he could be a power-forward type. More of s crash and bang guy down the road”- scouts

“Needs to work on defensive awareness, responsibilities” - scout

“Understated style who plays strong two way game”

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Hes actually the pick I am most excited about.

I think there is good potential. Good blend of size and skill potential. But his anticipation and skating (without the puck) needs to pickup

otherwise the Jimmy Hayes/Nick Ritchie comparison will play tricks with my mind

Bodit9

Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
I like what I'm hearing about this kid. Good size player who gets to the net & adequate defensively. Seems like the pandemic really hurt his value but this is kinda what we were hoping for with this weird draft. Some diamonds in the rough dropping. Possible late 1st at a discount in the 3rd? Really good value.

Reactions: DKH

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
I listen to at least 20 podcasts last 2 weeks on the prospects and draft (when you aren’t working and/or driving around or walk-ing dog sure is relaxing) and subscribe or get team NHL info so I got a lot of stuff.

I had heard and read enough to conclude Harrison could have been a top 20 pick without the pandemic a la Jack Quinn.

if he ends up sucking multiple people who actually watch him and pay their bills doing so missed. I could not find a lot of negativity about his skating but then again in his interview he alluded to 3 days a week now he’s on the ice with his power skating coach working on quickness and explosiveness

“He gets a couple of chances a game because he goes to the right spots, and he finishes them. He’s a bigger body, but he thinks he’s a smaller skill player, so there’s real potential there if he adds more consistency and jam to his game. He could be a terror.” - Scout

“Excellent instincts and vision….outstanding athleticism & very nimble on skates. Pounces all over rebounds….super fast pivots create separation in tight spaces” Scout

negatives
“I liked him more in Oshawa than this year in Finland. I was disappointed in his work ethic, he was more aggressive and harder on pucks with Oshawa, but may be bigger ice surface. I always thought he could be a power-forward type. More of s crash and bang guy down the road”- scouts

I agree. I think this kid can be a good middle 6 forward. Like a nick ritchie or jonah gadjovich. Great value in round 3

Number6

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site

negatives

I guess he will get a heavy dose of Brandvold in the next few years.

Reactions: DKH

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

Careful, you can break your arm patting yourself on the back like that.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Hey this kid might be better then pinelli. Both centers played in world under 18 tournament. He popped quite a bit of goals in rookie season in ohl. Donny with a diamond in the 3rd round.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
https://thehockeywriters.com/2021-nhl-draft-must-have-prospects/
Brett Harrison

Quick. There were three OHL rookies who reached 20 goals during the 2019-20 season. Know who they are without looking? It was Mason McTavish, Shane Wright (2022) and Harrison. He already has the size and is only going to get stronger. He can create space and can score from around the net. For someone projected to go in the third round on some boards, that’s sneaky good value to land a pivot with some upside.

Definitely a nice little nugget of info. Hopefully the reason for him slipping is just strictly he didn’t play much last year so teams went with players they had more tape on. Looks like it could be a steal.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Hey this kid might be better then pinelli. Both centers played in world under 18 tournament. He popped quite a bit of goals in rookie season in ohl. Donny with a diamond in the 3rd round.

I see your enthusiasm is back

But Harrison is not better than Pinelli right now. He is bigger and heavier shot. But Pinelli is a better skater and better overall

at U18 tourney Pinelli had 10 points? Harrison had 2 points

80 percent from this board was screaming for Donny to move up and pick Pinelli

Reactions: HustleB

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad