OT: 82nd Obsequious Banter Thread: a thread for Bunny facts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
It's baffling as hell. Where I live I should be in a biblical plague.

I lived in NW DC. I used to ride my bike up Beach Drive and across Wisconsin Ave to Tuckerman, and then out to Potomoc and back. 50-60 miles round trip and the noise NEVER stopped. They were literally everywhere.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami

Goodfellas-Tommy-Devito-Gets-Whacked.jpg

Brad Pitt in Burn After Reading is up there, but my top one has to be Théoden from Return of the King. He's already not having a great day, then the f***ing Nazgûl show up. Bernard Hill did a great job reacting to something that got green-screened in later.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Brad Pitt in Burn After Reading is up there, but my top one has to be Théoden from Return of the King. He's already not having a great day, then the f***ing Nazgûl show up. Bernard Hill did a great job reacting to something that got green-screened in later.

Hill needs more love in general for his performance in those films.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
For anyone who wants a deep dive into the issues in the country in 1789, this is an excellent read:

The Debate on the Constitution (boxed set) | Library of America

Another interesting tidbit is Jefferson's original draft of the Declaration of Independence:

Jefferson’s “original Rough draught” of the Declaration of Independence - Declaring Independence: Drafting the Documents | Exhibitions - Library of Congress

Particularly interesting is this paragraph, "he" is George III:

he has waged cruel war against human nature itself, violating it's most sacred rights of life & liberty in the persons of a distant people who never offended him, captivating & carrying them into slavery in another hemisphere, or to incur miserable death in their transportation thither. this piratical warfare, the opprobrium of infidel powers, is the warfare of the CHRISTIAN king of Great Britain. determined to keep open a market where MEN should be bought & sold, he has prostituted his negative for suppressing every legislative attempt to prohibit or to restrain this execrable commerce: and that this assemblage of horrors might want no fact of distinguished die, he is now exciting those very people to rise in arms among us, and to purchase that liberty of which he has deprived them, & murdering the people upon whom he also obtruded them; thus paying off former crimes committed against the liberties of one people, with crimes which he urges them to commit against the lives of another.

Imagine the consequences if this had actually been left in the Declaration.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
He'd deal with it using whatever blend of force and political mastery was required. I'd expect he would use the threat of the stick to make the carrot taste better, but somehow without leaving people feeling coerced. The guy was good.

no denying he was. I did forget how there were some in this country who were loyal to the crown and it took a lot of convincing of the 13 colonies to unite and take a stand. Of course voting was a lot different back then as well.

Surrounded By Ahos

Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Hill needs more love in general for his performance in those films.
His performance was exceptional. Unfortunately for him he was playing a side character in a series that already had like 25 main characters who all also did an amazing job, so he kind of got lost in the shuffle.

His speech before the charge of the Battle of the Pelennor Fields is probably a top five movie moment of all time for me. Although the book purist in me is slightly annoyed that it splices together his original speech before the charge and Éomer's reaction to seeing Éowyn during the fighting. I'm willing to put that annoyance aside because Hill knocked it out of the goddamn park.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
For anyone who wants a deep dive into the issues in the country in 1789, this is an excellent read:

Another interesting tidbit is Jefferson's original draft of the Declaration of Independence:

Jefferson’s “original Rough draught” of the Declaration of Independence - Declaring Independence: Drafting the Documents | Exhibitions - Library of Congress

he has waged cruel war against human nature itself, violating it's most sacred rights of life & liberty in the persons of a distant people who never offended him, captivating & carrying them into slavery in another hemisphere, or to incur miserable death in their transportation thither. this piratical warfare, the opprobrium of infidel powers, is the warfare of the CHRISTIAN king of Great Britain. determined to keep open a market where MEN should be bought & sold, he has prostituted his negative for suppressing every legislative attempt to prohibit or to restrain this execrable commerce: and that this assemblage of horrors might want no fact of distinguished die, he is now exciting those very people to rise in arms among us, and to purchase that liberty of which he has deprived them, & murdering the people upon whom he also obtruded them; thus paying off former crimes committed against the liberties of one people, with crimes which he urges them to commit against the lives of another.

The South would have bailed. They only got on board because because of the Somerset Ruling in 1772, which was correctly perceived as the beginning of the end of slavery in England and inevitably in the colonies as well. They joined the Revolution to maintain slavery. The Civil War was unavoidable beginning in 1772.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
The South would have bailed. They only got on board because because of the Somerset Ruling in 1772, which was correctly perceived as the beginning of the end of slavery in England and inevitably in the colonies as well. They joined the Revolution to maintain slavery. The Civil War was unavoidable beginning in 1772.

Absolutely.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
His performance was exceptional. Unfortunately for him he was playing a side character in a series that already had like 25 main characters who all also did an amazing job, so he kind of got lost in the shuffle.

His speech before the charge of the Battle of the Pelennor Fields is probably a top five movie moment of all time for me. Although the book purist in me is slightly annoyed that it splices together his original speech before the charge and Éomer's reaction to seeing Éowyn during the fighting. I'm willing to put that annoyance aside because Hill knocked it out of the goddamn park.

Speaking of Eowyn, she's f***ing fantastic in the fight against the Witch King. A++ look of sheer terror in the leadup.

Surrounded By Ahos

Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami

I could be misremembering, but wasn't the phrase "Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" originally "Life, liberty, and freedom"? I feel like an early draft had freedom, before they realized that like 3/4 of the guys signing the Declaration owned slaves and decided that it was a bad look.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I could be misremembering, but wasn't the phrase "Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" originally "Life, liberty, and freedom"? I feel like an early draft had freedom, before they realized that like 3/4 of the guys signing the Declaration owned slaves and decided that it was a bad look.

I do not know. But that's exactly the kind of thing Jefferson would/could do. He was pretty completely and totally oblivious to hypocrisy. The man had no capacity to feel it.

He never for a moment pondered his own involvement in slavery relative to his own preaching about freedom and the evils of slavery and such. It's truly spectacular.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York

Don't know, that's the only draft that I've seen.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I do not know. But that's exactly the kind of thing Jefferson would/could do. He was pretty completely and totally oblivious to hypocrisy. The man had no capacity to feel it.

He never for a moment pondered his own involvement in slavery relative to his own preaching about freedom and the evils of slavery and such. It's truly spectacular.

I don't how the process went but I believe Franklin chose Jefferson to write the draft, and if Jefferson then showed it to him I can imagine that Franklin was enough of a realist and pragmatist that he would say, "yeah, let's just take that part out."

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I don't how the process went but I believe Franklin chose Jefferson to write the draft, and if Jefferson then showed it to him I can imagine that Franklin was enough of a realist and pragmatist that he would say, "yeah, let's just take that part out."

That is how it worked; and either Franklin was enough of a hulking intellect that Jefferson's ego could take it, or it was collaborative and diplomatic enough that it was fine. Once it went up for debate in the Continental Congress and they began slashing and rephrasing, Jefferson could barely keep his shit together.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Last edited:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Actually, on second thought, I want to say that I'm thinking of the "Life, liberty, and property" line from the First Continental Congress. So same basic concept. Some of their property was people who were NOT entitled to liberty, so they decided to edit it a little bit for the Declaration.

Also the fact that "liberty" and "freedom" are redundant.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
So last night went to dinner at Scannicchio's in "Souf" Philly with some friends. Felt weird. Pretty much nobody wore masks except the servers. We then went to a local bar down the street which got loud and packed...it was a free for all. South Philly is kind of antimask country anyway. All of us were vaccinated except my friend whose politics has turned pretty conspiratorial. I hope I'm covered with my vaccine bc that place def had people with covid. My friend...well....he's on his own despite our one friend yellin at him in a drunken stupor to snap out of his conspiracies and tribal politics and get vaccinated. His gf said she may have to leave him if he doesn't bc all her extended family is vaccinated and they don't want unvaccinated people when they all get together every year at the Outer Banks

Reactions: Rebels57

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
So last night went to dinner at Scannicchio's in "Souf" Philly with some friends. Felt weird. Pretty much nobody wore masks except the servers. We then went to a local bar down the street which got loud and packed...it was a free for all. South Philly is kind of antimask country anyway. All of us were vaccinated except my friend whose politics has turned pretty conspiratorial. I hope I'm covered with my vaccine bc that place def had people with covid. My friend...well....he's on his own despite our one friend yellin at him in a drunken stupor to snap out of his conspiracies and tribal politics and get vaccinated. His gf said she may have to leave him if he doesn't bc all her extended family is vaccinated and they don't want unvaccinated people when they all get together every year at the Outer Banks

This is kind of silly since he isn’t going to get them sick by not being vaccinated. Being vaccinated will only help prevent you from becoming sick, it doesn’t prevent you from carrying it. He would be the only one taking a risk.

Reactions: Cody Webster

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
This is kind of silly since he isn’t going to get them sick by not being vaccinated. Being vaccinated will only help prevent you from becoming sick, it doesn’t prevent you from carrying it.
Yeah...I basically said the same thing. I think it is more a not having the same values thing more than anything tbh...

Reactions: FLYERSFAN18
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad