Post-Game Talk: #82 | Hurricanes 4 at FLYERS 3 (SO, won 2-1) | Sun., April 9, 2017

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
It can and does. I'm happy this franchise has astute evaluators of talent who can regularly project superior players at various spots in the draft. But the point remains that there will be three fewer options from which they can pick, which reduces the opportunity of selecting an impact player. That is simple mathematics. Blowing off three draft spots in a singular meaningless game is the final kick to the crotch of this mob-beating of a season.
Every team has a different ranking anyway. There are always players you don't expect to be available.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Seriously guys, it doesn't matter. Any Finals trip we do make will be ruined by some new dynasty. With our luck it would be ****ing Calgary. No point worrying.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Dave Isaac made a comment on Twitter that the last time the Flyers had three team-drafted d-men in the same game was when Chris Therien, Janne Niinimaa, Darren Rumble suited up in a February 1997 game.

That doesn't surprise me one bit, MSE. We were a joke back there for a long time, especially when it came to the draft. I've been dying for a D corps that I can really love for a long time and I'm overjoyed that we have finally given ourselves a chance to correct that.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Yep. Yep. Yep. ****ing Dale Weise lol.

I guess we can decide how we react to this and how we approach this, ultimately. We can wallow in the pig **** results and displays, which we have every right to do - especially those of you who are there spending your hard-earned money on tickets, merchandise and sausages - or we can recognize that this is more or less rock bottom and the only way is up. I suspect for just about all of us (myself definitely included) it is going to be a teeter-totter between the two until camp breaks.

For me, it's going to hinge on several factors:

1. A player I like making it to 13 and the Flyers selecting him;

2. The 10th team not winning the draft lottery (can you imagine that hell? it would be like giving someone a lottery ticket for a Christmas gift and it being a million dollar winner);

3. The Flyers not blowing money on a veteran free agent, like Alzner or Stone, who will take a spot from one of the kid defensemen.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
There are consistently players in the 13-45 range that end up as difference makers at the NHL level. Sure, the Flyers worsened their odds to pick a star player, but it's absurd to get this worked up over it.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
That doesn't surprise me one bit, MSE. We were a joke back there for a long time, especially when it came to the draft. I've been dying for a D corps that I can really love for a long time and I'm overjoyed that we have finally given ourselves a chance to correct that.

I don't think you were here for my rants about the Flyers drafting and developing their own dmen. They list of dmen they've drafted and grown themselves is woeful. It's great to see they can actually do it when they try.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Of course in hind sight it can matter, it also makes no difference if you trust your GM and scouts.

They aren't magicians. They are a terrific scouting group, but they still need the tools to do their work. I trust them, but they can only do what they can with what's available. And that doesn't preclude them from just making a poor choice. The higher you pick, the easier it is to pick. That's just a fact. And if the guy they want is there at 13, nothing stops them from taking him at 10. It's rather hard for me to imagine they'd rather have a 13th pick than a 10th pick. We've broken this down so many times in the draft thread, and it's a legit argument that that difference is a potential tier drop and some of our favorites could have been there at 10/11 and not 13. Especially with LA and Carolina likely targeting top forward talent above us now. We're not just pulling this out of our ass.

This team needs elite forward talent. If the strategy is to rely on anomalous, fortunate events.....I don't know what to say. Maybe the Flyers will constantly find the steals of the draft every single year. But that sounds like a pipe dream more than a strategy. You shouldn't pay your bills with scratch-off lottery tickets. This team's aging core up front and holes in the forward prospect pool is a massive concern, and we'll see if this year did anything to change that. I think there are a lot of good players available where we'll pick. I'm unsure there will be the true elite talent difference maker we need. Honestly, it might just be a choice between a bunch of safe-ish players.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Last time I can complain this season, but Ghost got one shift in regulation after that assist on Simmonds' goal. :dunno:
Dave Isaac made a comment on Twitter that the last time the Flyers had three team-drafted d-men in the same game was when Chris Therien, Janne Niinimaa, Darren Rumble suited up in a February 1997 game.

Wasn't the last time Tuesday against the Devils? :sarcasm:

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
For me, it's going to hinge on several factors:

1. A player I like making it to 13 and the Flyers selecting him;

2. The 10th team not winning the draft lottery (can you imagine that hell? it would be like giving someone a lottery ticket for a Christmas gift and it being a million dollar winner);

3. The Flyers not blowing money on a veteran free agent, like Alzner or Stone, who will take a spot from one of the kid defensemen.

problem with this statement..its not who you like though..its who they like...

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Sure, but if you think the team was going to,openly shoot pucks i Tim their own net, people here set themselves up to be disappointed.

You had a goalie trying to prove himself, a good prospect playing his first game, a struggling fwd trying to prove himself,,, these things happen.

They went 5-1-2 to finish off the season. 12 of a possible 16 meaningless, draft-screwing points when there was no imperative to win games. When it mattered, they looked like crap.

My frustration is not that they didn't give up but rather that they found their mojo when it didn't matter anymore, and this impairs their ability to improve the franchise. I am nauseated at the thought, too, that this meaningless upswing takes any of the edge off this season and that the need for significant change is reduced.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
They went 5-1-2 to finish off the season. 12 of a possible 16 meaningless, draft-screwing points when there was no imperative to win games. When it mattered, they looked like crap.

My frustration is not that they didn't give up but rather that they found their mojo when it didn't matter anymore, and this impairs their ability to improve the franchise. I am nauseated at the thought, too, that this meaningless upswing takes any of the edge off this season and that the need for significant change is reduced.

This post I 100% agree with.

My only issue is someone thinking Matthews is at 10 and VDV is at 13.

I like TK better than all of Bruins picks before. I like Rubstov over Stanley. I like Provy over Zacha. If in 3 or 4 years that guy 3 before us is a stud, then I will join in.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Last time I can complain this season, but Ghost got one shift in regulation after that assist on Simmonds' goal. :dunno:

Wasn't the last time Tuesday against the Devils? :sarcasm:

I think the comment referred to the recent promotions, a carryover. Let's go with that. :sarcasm:

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Not sure there is a spot for Weal ? And VDV blocks no one, if Hexy has learned anything he is on the Phantoms and takes the Hakslogic away from his coach.
The broadcasting crew keeps on acting like Filpulla's addition turned the team's play around, but to me, Weal playing well from March on was a much bigger factor. They should absolutely have a spot for him on the 3rd line. Having guy that can play up and down the line up and score is valuable and not a player they can afford to lose. Regarding VdV, I'm talking about this year. If him and Bellemare actually had to compete and play well for a spot, they would've been replaced by guys on the Phantoms long ago.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
The team's home/road splits only get more frustrating when you see they were 4th in Away HDCF% in all situations and 9th at ES.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Did people actually expect the team to lose on purpose? I don't get it.

Literally not one person said this. We're not players and we have no control over them; we're fans. What we want and what they want aren't necessarily the same.

Some people felt that the best thing the team could do for the future was lose. A loss today for a win tomorrow. Some people feel several picks difference doesn't matter. That's all. No one expected the players to not try to win. Did they try to not win 40 times this year?

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
problem with this statement..its not who you like though..its who they like...

I was answering the question about what it would take for me to get re-energized about this team. How can you have a problem with that? Of course it's going to be subjective! It's tailored to me personally....

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
The lengths people will go purely for the sake of optimism and nothing else (not realism, not pragmatism, just optimism). People can make themselves borderline delusional sometimes just to be optimistic.

The there is an inverse relationship between draft position and talent. The farther back you go, the worse the talent gets. That's a fact. Being three spots back means you have three less choices to pick from and less trade-down options. That's also a fact. Being spots back in the draft lottery significantly lowers your odds of winning it, that's a fact. The only reward you get for a non playoff season, especially one as horrid as this, is your draft position. That's a fact.

Add all these together and them blowing their draft position in absolutely meaningless games is an absolute failure by an utterly disappointing, boring, and mediocre season and team.

There's objectively nothing positive about blowing their draft position. Doesn't mean people have to get depressed or up-in-arms about it but I'd choose that over the utterly ridiculous positive spins and marginalization of it.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
I was answering the question about what it would take for me to get re-energized about this team. How can you have a problem with that? Of course it's going to be subjective! It's tailored to me personally....

so if they do not pick anyone you like/approve of..your gonna be down on the team? why be a fan at that point...

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Del Zotto:

"The closest group I have ever played with (this season's Flyers' team). It is going to be sad to leave here... between the prospects coming up, the way I was handled this year...just finished my eighth season...I love being here and I wanted to stay but it doesn't look like that is going to happen. I cherish my three years here."

You will get over it. Adios

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad