Post-Game Talk: #82 | Hurricanes 4 at FLYERS 3 (SO, won 2-1) | Sun., April 9, 2017

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Del Zotto comes off as a typical fairly talented jock who's been surrounded by talented guys his whole life and thought he never had to put much effort in. He seems like a major partier; he's the last player we need around a bunch of new guys coming in.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
If anything their road record should indicate how terrible Hakstol is at bench management. How else would you explain the difference between the home/road record?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Well, mostly you missed Robert Hagg playing a really good, strong overall game. Strong on D, joined the rush numerous times, nice outlet passes - just a really impressive debut. If he's not ready for the NHL, I don't know who is.

And that's who I really wanted to see. Glad to hear it. I've been patiently waiting for him for a long time. He's been a good soldier.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Hagg is a really intriguing player. He seems to be able to adapt to the NHL level like its nothing.

At this point I'd be very surprised if he's not on the team next season.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
the-rock-clapping.gif

Great way to end this season in a typically Flyers "How can we make everything harder on ourselves?" way. All of the futility boxes are checked off for the season.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
If anything their road record should indicate how terrible Hakstol is at bench management. How else would you explain the difference between the home/road record?

I think Hakstol is a terrible coach who makes things a lot harder than they need to be but this team is going to struggle on the road regardless with the way it's constructed.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
The difference between 10th and 13th is like a 2nd round pick. Maybe a little more than that.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Start Hagg, Morin, and Sanheim next year. We've already seen rookies and very young players be absolute impact players around the league and this team's best player was 19 years old this year. Patience is one thing, but enough is enough. Give them a chance to play. Hagg already looks better than MacDonald or Del Zotto.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
For anyone thinking it makes no difference....

Would you be saying that if we picked 3 away from Provorov? Giroux?

3 picks could easily be the difference between a franchise altering player being there or not. Every pick matters.

No, nothing matters. We will rebuild, go to the Finals, then run into some team that kicks off a dynasty by beating is.

It's literally what happens every time.

Best thing to do is get drunk on bum quality liquor and scream things about Schenn to your toaster.

Toaster is a good listener. Nothing matters but rotgut booze and Toaster.

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
No, nothing matters. We will rebuild, go to the Finals, then run into some team that kicks off a dynasty by beating is.

It's literally what happens every time.

Best thing to do is get drunk on bum quality liquor and scream things about Schenn to your toaster.

Toaster is a good listener. Nothing matters but rotgut booze and Toaster.

Just not your microwave.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
For anyone thinking it makes no difference....

Would you be saying that if we picked 3 away from Provorov? Giroux?

3 picks could easily be the difference between a franchise altering player being there or not. Every pick matters.

Of course in hind sight it can matter, it also makes no difference if you trust your GM and scouts.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014

Look at Voracek's home/road splits, and the goalies' home/road splits (especially Neuvirth's). There's your answer.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Dave Isaac made a comment on Twitter that the last time the Flyers had three team-drafted d-men in the same game was when Chris Therien, Janne Niinimaa, Darren Rumble suited up in a February 1997 game.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Hextall also better find a way to get Weal signed. He's going to look terrible if he walks and scores 25 next year and this team can't score again. Thanks to the VdV and Bellemare road block on the 4th line, this team might lose a possible 2nd liner. Unbelievable. :shakehead

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
The difference between 10th and 13th is like a 2nd round pick. Maybe a little more than that.

Or maybe difference is TK and whoever the 3 guys the Bruins chose.

Or maybe he gets more assets and moves back like last year.

I feel strongly the franchise will overcome theses 3 spots.

Now if some want to cry that we didn't tank 2 months ago and get to the top 5, you may have a case, but there sure seems to be some decent players at 13 and not many franchise players at 10

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
Of course in hind sight it can matter, it also makes no difference if you trust your GM and scouts.

It can and does. I'm happy this franchise has astute evaluators of talent who can regularly project superior players at various spots in the draft. But the point remains that there will be three fewer options from which they can pick, which reduces the opportunity of selecting an impact player. That is simple mathematics. Blowing off three draft spots in a singular meaningless game is the final kick to the crotch of this mob-beating of a season.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014

Not true at all. Drafting 13 instead of 10 means 3 players you like better than the guy you end up with could all be off the board with no chance to draft them.

Plus it halves the Flyers' chance to win the lottery.

Fans have a right to be upset that this team stunk when they needed to win, and then racked up points when it didn't matter and it would have been better to lose. It's aggravating and doesn't help the rebuild.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Hextall also better find a way to get Weal signed. He's going to look terrible if he walks and scores 25 next year and this team can't score again. Thanks to the VdV and Bellemare road block on the 4th line, this team might lose a possible 2nd liner. Unbelievable. :shakehead

Not sure there is a spot for Weal ? And VDV blocks no one, if Hexy has learned anything he is on the Phantoms and takes the Hakslogic away from his coach.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
What a bleh season. Pick 13th, miss the playoffs, none of the kids get called up until the season is done to change that. Hakstol shot himself in the foot over and over again until Hextall forced him to play some young players too late and (surprise!) they did better. And the chances of him coming away with any lessons learned are probably slim.

Does nothing for the present, nothing for the future, and just to make it better, the games were for the most part boring to watch.

Yep. Yep. Yep. ****ing Dale Weise lol.

I guess we can decide how we react to this and how we approach this, ultimately. We can wallow in the pig **** results and displays, which we have every right to do - especially those of you who are there spending your hard-earned money on tickets, merchandise and sausages - or we can recognize that this is more or less rock bottom and the only way is up. I suspect for just about all of us (myself definitely included) it is going to be a teeter-totter between the two until camp breaks.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
It can and does. I'm happy this franchise has astute evaluators of talent who can regularly project superior players at various spots in the draft. But the point remains that there will be three fewer options from which they can pick, which reduces the opportunity of selecting an impact player. That is simple mathematics. Blowing off three draft spots in a singular meaningless game is the final kick to the crotch of this mob-beating of a season.

Sure, but if you think the team was going to,openly shoot pucks i Tim their own net, people here set themselves up to be disappointed.

You had a goalie trying to prove himself, a good prospect playing his first game, a struggling fwd trying to prove himself,,, these things happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad