Post-Game Talk: #80| FLYERS 0 at Devils 1 (OT) | Tue., April 4, 2017

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Maybe we should put him in bubble wrap too.

Christ, if you are that afraid he will get hurt, then just ****ing bench him. Your defense of Hak is borderline obsession.

yea better not play any roster player... the NHL is a life or death sport you know...

i wonder if the players realize how dangerous it is.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
I thought Morin looked out of place and not ready for the NHL, getting lost in the play and mishandling the puck constantly. He'd get devoured by a playoff-caliber offense IMO. Maybe I'm just nuts :dunno:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I thought Morin looked out of place and not ready for the NHL, getting lost in the play and mishandling the puck constantly. He'd get devoured by a playoff-caliber offense IMO. Maybe I'm just nuts :dunno:

You must be..because that isnt what transpired tonight at all. :laugh:

He had a few hiccups early but settled in nicely. His pairing with Ghost dominated possesion, both posting Corsi over 60%

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Curu you have gone from defending AMac to no end, to now Hakstol. Very odd.

All people want is to play guys like TK more minutes than a useless scrub like VDV. And in the last 9 games, that has not been happening. TK has played 36 more seconds than VDV, and less than Belle.

Tri, you have gone from touting MacDonald as being "good" on the trade forum this past offseason to bringing your newly discovered disdain for him into unrelated discussions, reminiscent of a certain weight lifting enthusiast's crusade against a 3C. Very odd indeed.

VdV shouldn't be playing at all, but limiting Konecny's minutes at the end of a long season is not some terrible move. It's quite prudent, especially in meaningless games. The rookie wall is a real thing.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
This might be the dumbest complaint threat so far.
They were on the road, in NJ, against a team that dressed two quasi-goons and last game left some ugly blood.

VdV got about the same ES minutes as MV, notice that MV NEVER practiced with the team (and won't be with them this weekend). So he was on the 4th line, in limited minutes, just to get a taste of NHL action, but they didn't want to ask him to do much.

Because of all the chippy penalties, VdV got over 4 minutes PK.
End of the game they were coming off a PP, so who are you going to play for the last minute, the guys who just doubled shifted into the PP?

Konency had a really stupid penalty, but I think that was an excuse to limit his minutes against a team that might be headhunting.

Morin is huge, he may fill out to be Chmura huge in a couple years. I noticed that despite 7 hits, no Devil even made faces at him, it was Mr. Morin, excuse me if you please, all night. Gudas is toough, but Morin intimidates people just standing there! And pairing Ghost with him gives Ghost a bit more room on the ice.

MV has a nice burst but this is just not the situation where you're gonna see much, he's not coming off a year or two in the AHL, he's coming right out of college, a much bigger jump. And his role is going to be much different in the NHL. We'll have a better idea what he brings in pre-season.

Can you ever make your points short and sweet? You dont havr to post a damn essay every time you post

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
I don't mind them taking it slow on TK. He still has a lot to learn on the defensive side as well as his cross crease passes for turnovers. Overall he has had a good season for a rookie and should be getting increased ice time next season while knowing a lot more about what he has to work on.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
Tri, you have gone from touting MacDonald as being "good" on the trade forum this past offseason to bringing your newly discovered disdain for him into unrelated discussions, reminiscent of a certain weight lifting enthusiast's crusade against a 3C. Very odd indeed.

VdV shouldn't be playing at all, but limiting Konecny's minutes at the end of a long season is not some terrible move. It's quite prudent, especially in meaningless games. The rookie wall is a real thing.

So is hurting a kids confidence by playing sub par ahl players over him

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I don't mind them taking it slow on TK. He still has a lot to learn on the defensive side as well as his cross crease passes for turnovers. Overall he has had a good season for a rookie and should be getting increased ice time next season while knowing a lot more about what he has to work on.

The real issue is VdV being in the lineup and on the roster, not an undersized rookie winger's ice time tapering off at the end of a long season for him.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
limiting Konecny's minutes at the end of a long season is not some terrible move. It's quite prudent, especially in meaningless games. The rookie wall is a real thing.

I agree to a point. If they used him in 3rd line minutes, a little PP time, and had some plan set out to provide some consistency and a role, fine. But it really feels more punitive than anything, and I don't see much of a plan. Does really well.....immediately goes back on 4th line for no reason whatsoever. Goes back to top line and takes 1 bad penalty.....immediately gets team low minutes. It feels like he's being yo-yo'ed and on the receiving end of some mind games, and that's what I don't like.

I'm not saying he hasn't had his difficulties, but to me, his rookie wall is named Dave Hakstol right now.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
So is hurting a kids confidence by playing sub par ahl players over him

Weal is the one who took his top 9 LW and PP2 spot. I don't think he's a sub par AHL player, and I don't think Konecny is losing any confidence.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Konecny didn't deserve any minutes tonight. I'm a gigantic fan of his, but I've never seen him play worse. Not only the terrible penalty off the get-go, but he got shrugged off the play multiple times with ease; made some bad plays with the puck; and frankly had no zip. Maybe he has what Weal has.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Agreed, also wasnt talking about weal

No other player is playing "over" him except Weal. The only place PEB and VdV get more ice time than him is on the PK.

Having a few poor games isn't the same thing as losing confidence. He's a promising rookie, not a flake who can't handle some adversity.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
No other player is playing "over" him except Weal. The only place PEB and VdV get more ice time than him is on the PK.

Having a few poor games isn't the same thing as losing confidence. He's a promising rookie, not a flake who can't handle some adversity.

Well vdv shouldnt even be playing, let s alone be penalty killing, and getting 15 minutes is kinda playing over him....doesnt matter how you chop that up thats inexcusable, also hak's handling of him has been atrocious just about eveyone besides you sees that

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
You must be..because that isnt what transpired tonight at all. :laugh:

He had a few hiccups early but settled in nicely. His pairing with Ghost dominated possesion, both posting Corsi over 60%
Yeah, I think he looked like utter garbage, even with sheltered usage. I don't think his future looks all that bright right now but hope to be proven wrong :)

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Konecny averages 14 minutes a game and has overwhelmingly played with good players.
That's not even close to being "atrocious". If you showed us what Konecny's 16-17 production and usage would be a year ago, everyone here would have been more than happy with it.

Meltzer has a blog coming up on this topic, I believe.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Wonder what's going on in this thr-

XujHL.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I said the same thing last week.

Its not going to stop him though.

I don't tweet and I'm not a twit.
Unlike the current resident of the WH.
So yes, I write in complete sentences and actually can string two thoughts together.
Shocking, isn't it?

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Just think about how Quenville mismanaged Panarin all this time instead of playing him with Jordin Tootoo and Andrew Desjardins. Can you imagine how many lessons that bafoon could have taught him if he had one shred of coaching acumen? We are so blessed our coach has such a firm and unwavering grasp on developing young talent. Couldn't be more lucky if we tried.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Just think about how Quenville mismanaged Panarin all this time instead of playing him with Jordin Tootoo and Andrew Desjardins. Can you imagine how many lessons that bafoon could have taught him in the meantim? We are so blessed our coach has such a firm and unwavering grasp on developing young talent.

Aside from Panarin being five years younger, these are Konecny's line mates before tonight:

359 minutes with Voracek
301 minutes with Couturier
272 minutes with Simmonds
250 minutes with Schenn
83 minutes with Fippula
77 minutes with Giroux
66 minutes with PEB
61 minutes with Cousins
52 minutes with Weise
50 minutes with VDV

Ad

Upcoming events