Post-Game Talk: #80| FLYERS 0 at Devils 1 (OT) | Tue., April 4, 2017

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think Konency is a bad fit with G&V.
LW with Couts and Schenn might make sense.
LW with Filppula and Simmonds, but Weal has that spot when healthy.

I think some people here care more about being entertained the last few games of this season rather than the team next season. I don't need to see anymore of Konency this year, I'd be happy if they shut him down, and I suspect if Cousins was healthy he'd be watching from the press box.

Konency is tough for his size, but he's undersized for the NHL right now, and while fast, he's not that fast. Plus he likes contact, which is admirable, but not recommended until he adds 10 more lbs.

At this point in the season, I'd just like them to get through the couple games without any serious injuries.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I still think a line of Konecny-Couts-Voracek would be great. Also, for next year, that should be good to do with having a first line of Lindblom-G-Simmonds to go with it. Schenn-Vecc-Weal as a third line. PEB-Laughton-Leier/Weise as the 4th line.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
We know Coots and Jake are dynamite together. Jake has been in a serious funk the last couple months. He hasn't played with Couturier in that time. If Couturier transformed Schenn's game at ES and pulled him up from his serious funk (and I don't want to see that duo split), I don't see why it couldn't be repeated. Schenn is at RW now, so either he or Jake goes to the left.

That was easy.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Aside from Panarin being five years younger, these are Konecny's line mates before tonight:

359 minutes with Voracek
301 minutes with Couturier
272 minutes with Simmonds
250 minutes with Schenn
83 minutes with Fippula
77 minutes with Giroux
66 minutes with PEB
61 minutes with Cousins
52 minutes with Weise
50 minutes with VDV

My bad. I see he made some of the same mistakes as Quenville. Nevertheless it's good to see him progressing as he gains coaching experience and rectifying those issues. Not to even speak of Panarins superb defensive play. Just bad comparison all around.

Last edited:

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I don't tweet and I'm not a twit.
Unlike the current resident of the WH.
So yes, I write in complete sentences and actually can string two thoughts together.
Shocking, isn't it?

The problem isn't that you use full sentences, it's that you use a lot of words to say absolutely nothing.

It's either empty cliches, blind excuses, or blatantly incorrect observations.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Someone actually had the guts to ask about Konecny: "You've got to be ready to go.....for a young player....that's a readiness. You've got to be more ready to play. That's the kind of penalty that doesn't happen."

Flat out said he benched him for that penalty. FFS. He's the only one to ever take a bad penalty on this team? Ever? It's such a double standard.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

This ****ing guy.
You know how sometimes with a guy you just throw up your hands (or throw up, full stop) and think "I'm done with this guy"?
I'm done with this ****ing guy.
****ing white bread whole milk corn on the cob farm fresh stale assed narrow minded sack of gnat nuts in his brain pan looking dunce.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Yeah, lots of upside in theory maybe.
We all knew it was a bit of a risky pick and I'm ok with that. Although someone like Wennberg would look pretty nice in our lineup...

What does that even mean?
And are you seriously wistful about Wennberg, and sad that we didn't pick him instead, after Morin's first game? Seriously?

I am telling you, friends, next season is going to be an ordeal in here.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Vecchione played well in limited minutes. Fk Hak having to dress the twins. I assume Weal was hurt, right? PEB on the Filppula line? Hak is a complete moron.

Morin played well. Looks like he should have been up months ago.

Fk Devils and fk backup goalies.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
I missed the game, but 1:0 against NJD? Thats the Devils I remember :laugh:

How did Vecchione and Morin look? (edit: aside from what BillDineen mentioned above, is there anything to point out about them?)

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

How did Vecchione and Morin look? (edit: aside from what BillDineen mentioned above, is there anything to point out about them?)

It was a dull game. Neither coach opened it up any. Both teams were missing some guys too.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

IMO, Morin was very sharp in the first period and then pretty steady (i.e. not very noticeable) the rest of the way. He certainly didn't look out of place in any way, shape or form. I think people in here who are damning him with faint praise are mostly guarding against being accused of being hysterical, and the people who are damning him more directly are ... well, I don't know what they watched, but presumably it wasn't this game.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Morin made a great play to catch Hall and disrupt his breakaway.

EDIT:

Last edited:

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
We know Coots and Jake are dynamite together. Jake has been in a serious funk the last couple months. He hasn't played with Couturier in that time. If Couturier transformed Schenn's game at ES and pulled him up from his serious funk (and I don't want to see that duo split), I don't see why it couldn't be repeated. Schenn is at RW now, so either he or Jake goes to the left.

That was easy.

Weal - giroux - simmonds
Schenn - coots - voracek
Konecny - flip - weise
Peb - vec - mcdonald/ whomever

I would like to see that. And stick with it.

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
Eh, I saw alot of what I've seen with Morin at lower levels - questionable instincts, holds the puck too long, struggles in 1-on-1 situations, fast as hell but not at all quick.

Not saying it's any kind of disaster, but he's got a long way to go.

Otherwise yes - the handling of Konecny is a concern. Vandevelde MUST GO.

At some point, it's not just Hakstol, it's Hextall making these calls

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Morin looked fine, considering it's his first game ever.

Sometimes I wonder if you people expect Lidstrom out there. I guarantee a lot of you won't criticize any of the other dmen. Morin seems to be a polarizing player. He's either going to fail miserably or be Pronger.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
poorly run game by Hak in something that didnt matter

VDV was a healthy scratch but managed to find the ice a lot.
Veccs came here for a chance. Wasnt given it last night thats for sure. he looked good when he played but id be pretty upset if i was him, game that doesnt matter and he barley played
JUST LET TK PLAY

Im gonna go off the beaten path here and say i didnt hate the idea of PEB with G and Jake for a while. Guy who goes and gets pucks and people forget he has a great shot. If his hockey sense can get up and just get open, he can probably do what raffl does (we are stuck with him playing next year)

I like morin looked good, a little nervous with the puck but i wouldnt of even made it out onto the ice with out S***ing my pants so props to him. wish he was a little meaner since i hate NJD

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
I don't think he'll be either of those.

If I had to bet, I say he ends up as an effective middle pairing defenseman with a little offensive punch. Like an Uwe Krupp, maybe.

I don't see him developing into this destroyer everyone seems to see.

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
VDV was absolutely terrible in the first period tonight. He is such an anchor out there, including on the PK.

If he's re-signed, I don't want to hear another word about what a genius Ron Hextall is.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Morin looked fine, considering it's his first game ever.

Sometimes I wonder if you people expect Lidstrom out there. I guarantee a lot of you won't criticize any of the other dmen. Morin seems to be a polarizing player. He's either going to fail miserably or be Pronger.

He gave a great interview after the game where he talked about how much faster it was than the AHL, and that showed in the first period when he got beat wide a couple of times and turned the puck over in the final seconds. But in the 2nd and 3rd he looked fine, as you say. Hopefully most fans will be patient with Morin since really big guys always need longer to find their groove, and the Flyers success is not dependent on him becoming a top pairing guy thanks to the other dmen Hextall drafted.

Without him playing I wouldn't have even bothered watching a meaningless regular season game in NJ last night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad