Post-Game Talk: #80| FLYERS 0 at Devils 1 (OT) | Tue., April 4, 2017

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
He gave a great interview after the game where he talked about how much faster it was than the AHL, and that showed in the first period when he got beat wide a couple of times and turned the puck over in the final seconds. But in the 2nd and 3rd he looked fine, as you say. Hopefully most fans will be patient with Morin since really big guys always need longer to find their groove, and the Flyers success is not dependent on him becoming a top pairing guy thanks to the other dmen Hextall drafted.

Without him playing I wouldn't have even bothered watching a meaningless regular season game in NJ last night.

I mean. Provorov's Chicago game was a complete **** show and he obviously got better. All dmen have bad games, Morin will have bad games. MacDonald has one every night. Morin's game last night wasn't bad at all. It was perfectly fine for a big guy with his first taste. He showed some poise, his passes are ridiculous fast and hard, he needs to slow them down a bit, but I'm sure he was a little nervous.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It's always easy to tell who has real concerns/criticisms and who just likes to complain. :laugh:

It's the people who try so hard to be "objective" that they forget to be accurate.

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
Morin had a rocky game. Not sure why that's controversial to point out.

We all like the guy (I think) and hope he improves, and certainly it's good to see him getting ice with Mandog in the press box where he belongs.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Morin had a rocky game. Not sure why that's controversial to point out.

We all like the guy (I think) and hope he improves, and certainly it's good to see him getting ice with Mandog in the press box where he belongs.

No, he really didn't.

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
Man, did you see the first period? Had a couple bad turnovers, including a brutal one at the end of the period that nearly led to a goal. Held the puck too long a couple times and took big hits behind his net.

Also got smoked one-on-one by a devil (Zajac I think it was?) coming down the right wing.

It wasn't the end of the world and he made some nice plays too, but if 47 or 23 had that game there's no way they'd have gotten positive reviews.

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
It's also worth mentioning that Gostisbehere looked terrific. One of his best games of the year.

I think he lifted for his partner a little, but maybe you could argue Morin helped him roam a little more confidently.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Man, did you see the first period? Had a couple bad turnovers, including a brutal one at the end of the period that nearly led to a goal. Held the puck too long a couple times and took big hits behind his net.

Also got smoked one-on-one by a devil (Zajac I think it was?) coming down the right wing.

It wasn't the end of the world and he made some nice plays too, but if 47 or 23 had that game there's no way they'd have gotten positive reviews.

So a few plays makes it a "rocky game"?

Zajac had him beat, but he forced him BEHIND the net. You know they can't score from behind the net right? He recovered.

That giveaway was a bad one, but he also had no support from his teammates. It was two Devils on him.

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
So a few plays makes it a "rocky game"?

Yeah, of course. He's a defenseman.

Again though, it's what anyone would expect. That post-first period interview with Bundy said it all. "It's fast up here". It's a massive adjustment.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I think Konency is a bad fit with G&V.
LW with Couts and Schenn might make sense.
LW with Filppula and Simmonds, but Weal has that spot when healthy.

I think some people here care more about being entertained the last few games of this season rather than the team next season. I don't need to see anymore of Konency this year, I'd be happy if they shut him down, and I suspect if Cousins was healthy he'd be watching from the press box.

Konency is tough for his size, but he's undersized for the NHL right now, and while fast, he's not that fast. Plus he likes contact, which is admirable, but not recommended until he adds 10 more lbs.

At this point in the season, I'd just like them to get through the couple games without any serious injuries.

I'm curious (in the non-undertone meaning) what you would consider to be the best use of the last few meaningless games in a very bad season. On one hand, there is value in protecting players who project to have a significant role going into next season and beyond, particularly when the opposition ices a few lowbrows. Conversely, it's an ideal time of year for trying things out in actual NHL games with no pressure. Essentially, this is training camp against real NHL opposition.

I would consider sitting Giroux and Voracek to reduce wear and tear on them and to quicken the end to bad seasons for both. I would try to give a lot of quality ice time to players under scrutiny, like Vecchione, Morin, etc. I'd try to call up Sanheim and Laughton for a game each. I'd give regular shifts to Schultz out of respect in the event his NHL career is winding down. I would reduce Provorov's minutes; he has nothing to prove. It's a poor time for Cousins and Weal to be out with injuries because I'd want to maximize their ice time and see what they could do in different situations. VandeVelde at this point is filler to simply have a forward on the ice so others can rest.

I would also instruct the players that the last two minutes of each period would be a "need a goal" situation where they simulate a late-game offensive push.

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
Speaking of Bundy, anyone else find it odd that he openly speculated about MDZ getting plucked by Vegas in the offseason?

I mean nobody thinks he's a candidate for re-signing, but I can't recall that kind of bluntness about a Flyer previously on the broadcasts.

Jackson rolled with it too, so I doubt it was just a case of the dapper one being a little loose-lipped.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
Speaking of Bundy, anyone else find it odd that he openly speculated about MDZ getting plucked by Vegas in the offseason?

I mean nobody thinks he's a candidate for re-signing, but I can't recall that kind of bluntness about a Flyer previously on the broadcasts.

Jackson rolled with it too, so I doubt it was just a case of the dapper one being a little loose-lipped.

He is a perfect candidate, NHL caliber d so they can maybe utilize some other teams and picks to build a competitive farm system.

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
I guess I like MDZ more than most. Surprised that nobody took a shot at him at the deadline.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
I guess I like MDZ more than most. Surprised that nobody took a shot at him at the deadline.

A lot of us did last year, just look at the Expansion Draft pole. Lots expected him resigned and protected. He had a god awful year. Injuries played part but he just never bounced back

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

I still wouldn't be opposed to bringing him back. Just not sure what kind of deal he'd be looking for. If he wants to sign a one year deal on the cheap, I'd do it, but it doesn't look like he is in the plans for this team moving forward.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
lol...man some of you just want to block as many roster spots as possible for the rookies.

If you sign MDZ you have Ghost/Provorov/MDZ/Gudas/AMac locked up for 5 of the 6 spots. Manning if you count 7.

Where the **** do the rookies play?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Yeah....if we are to add another vet, it needs to be someone good. Not a MDZ. Not a Streit....like I saw someone suggest last night. I only bring in a vet if that guy is a legit top 4 Dman.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'm curious (in the non-undertone meaning) what you would consider to be the best use of the last few meaningless games in a very bad season. On one hand, there is value in protecting players who project to have a significant role going into next season and beyond, particularly when the opposition ices a few lowbrows. Conversely, it's an ideal time of year for trying things out in actual NHL games with no pressure. Essentially, this is training camp against real NHL opposition.

First, Hakstol is very limited by injuries right now, he has to field a team, this seems to be ignored by many in this thread.

Second, there's probably an unwritten rule that you let your top veterans to play out the string to "pad their stats", especially those closer to free agency but also players trying to turn a bad season around - and benching them would signal to the team you don't care about winning (which might be true but . . .)

Konency is a known quality at this point, he looks sloppy which is usually a sign of fatigue in a young player. I don't think he's going to learn a lot the last two games, especially b/c they don't know where he fits right now (G&V need a mucker at LW). I want to get him to rest, then get into an offseason weight program, and hit TC rested and stronger.

MV came too late, no practice, Baker Award on Friday, realistically he'd have been better off with the Phantoms in the playoffs getting a taste of professional hockey one notch below the NHL.

It's nice that Morin got a taste, but the Phantom playoff run is more important to his development this year.

Other than that, there really is nothing to do but play out the string and hope no one gets seriously injured (see Ghost, Giroux starting slow after surgery).

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
First, Hakstol is very limited by injuries right now, he has to field a team, this seems to be ignored by many in this thread.

Second, there's probably an unwritten rule that you let your top veterans to play out the string to "pad their stats", especially those closer to free agency but also players trying to turn a bad season around - and benching them would signal to the team you don't care about winning (which might be true but . . .)

Konency is a known quality at this point, he looks sloppy which is usually a sign of fatigue in a young player. I don't think he's going to learn a lot the last two games, especially b/c they don't know where he fits right now (G&V need a mucker at LW). I want to get him to rest, then get into an offseason weight program, and hit TC rested and stronger.

MV came too late, no practice, Baker Award on Friday, realistically he'd have been better off with the Phantoms in the playoffs getting a taste of professional hockey one notch below the NHL.

It's nice that Morin got a taste, but the Phantom playoff run is more important to his development this year.

Other than that, there really is nothing to do but play out the string and hope no one gets seriously injured (see Ghost, Giroux starting slow after surgery).

It's at the point where you are literally just making things up.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Really? How often does a coach bench a veteran starter who wants to play at the end of the season just to "protect him for next season." I've never heard of it. For good reason. The player, the players' union and the league would go ballistic.

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
It's also worth mentioning that Gostisbehere looked terrific. One of his best games of the year.

I think he lifted for his partner a little, but maybe you could argue Morin helped him roam a little more confidently.

I thought Ghost played amazing. Very shifty and made plays in the offensive zone. Didn't force any stupid passes in his own zone.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
I still wouldn't be opposed to bringing him back. Just not sure what kind of deal he'd be looking for. If he wants to sign a one year deal on the cheap, I'd do it, but it doesn't look like he is in the plans for this team moving forward.

They need to go younger/more upside and bigger next season. Del Zotto has good instincts but he is pushed around a lot and constantly fails to clear the crease. It sucks to see him be in the right place many times but still getting scored on.

And with the emergence of Provorov and Ghost bouncing back recently, Del Zotto won't exactly get a lion's share of OZ starts either.
Just move on. And that said, I have been in the pro MDZ camp last year too.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

So you don't want Sanheim and Morin on the team next season?

Provorov
Ghost
Gudas
MacDonald

Will all be regulars again barring a miracle trade of A-Mac.

Sanheim
Morin

Would round out the top 6 with Manning as the #7, and that's not even factoring in Hagg; who the organization views as NHL ready.

What is the point of bringing Del Zotto back? He's been bad far more than he's been good this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad