Player Discussion #8 - Ben Chiarot: Swing Low, Sweet Chiarot

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Like several players on this team, it's about being in the "right chair".

The coaching staff asks too much from Chiarot.

He's a solid dman when he doesn't try to do too much with the puck - tough to play against physically and he's a better skater than given credit for.

Having said all of that, I wouldn't hesitate to expose him for the expansion draft.
No need. Expose Weber who won't be taken.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I've seen this suggested a lot and while it makes complete sense...I just don't see the Habs making that move from an optics point of view.

Indeed... Highly doubt MB would do that, and while it probably makes the most sense on paper, in reality I might just agree... While he's clearly not worth his cap hit, he's still being used heavily and by a large margin our 2nd best dman. Unlike a vet leader like Ladd in NYI (or Byron with us), he hasn't been relegated to a depth role yet. Exposing your captain and a guy with big locker room precense probably has net negative affect despite the cap relief.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Indeed... Highly doubt MB would do that, and while it probably makes the most sense on paper, in reality I might just agree... While he's clearly not worth his cap hit, he's still being used heavily and by a large margin our 2nd best dman. Unlike a vet leader like Ladd in NYI (or Byron with us), he hasn't been relegated to a depth role yet. Exposing your captain and a guy with big locker room precense probably has net negative affect despite the cap relief.
It's not about cap relief. It's about holding onto both Chiarot and Edmondson. And sorry, that is more important than the feelings of Weber.......fans. Shea himself will have zero issue with it, I'm sure. He wants his team to be stronger. And we are stronger with Chiarot and another $2.75M backup goalie, than with Allen and trying to find a Chiarot replacement.

Sam Pollock once exposed Gump Worsley who was still the #1 goalie the following year. Sam did it because he knew Gump would not be claimed.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Chia and Shea were excellent all series, together or apart

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Very solid game yesterday, for me he was MTL best defenceman in that game.

That guy is a warrior.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
It's not about cap relief. It's about holding onto both Chiarot and Edmondson. And sorry, that is more important than the feelings of Weber.......fans. Shea himself will have zero issue with it, I'm sure. He wants his team to be stronger. And we are stronger with Chiarot and another $2.75M backup goalie, than with Allen and trying to find a Chiarot replacement.

Sam Pollock once exposed Gump Worsley who was still the #1 goalie the following year. Sam did it because he knew Gump would not be claimed.

Chiarot Edmundson aren't priorities to retain. Easily replaceable and in fact one of them needs to go so we can upgrade the LD PMD deficiency.

You make a poor assumption I was referring to fan emotion.

Locker room psychology is important, and as I pointed out, exposing a guy like Weber would have a high likelihood of negative effect on the players, particularly the young ones, imo.

Find a trade partner and make a hockey deal to shed his cap? By all means, I'd be all for it.

Best case is trading him without taking a toxic contract back AND seeing Kracken take one of Chia/Ed/Allen... Provided he was patient enough with the ensuing cap space to leverage the financial strain of some owners to land LD & RD upgrades

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The Chiarot haters are also often Danault haters.......clueless stat watchers who have almost no hockey IQ. Unfortunately these people comprise the vast majority of this board and make most threads entirely unreadable.

Who would you protect for the upcoming expansion draft?

A) Petry, Eddy, Chiarot
B) Weber, Petry, Eddy
C) Weber, Petry, Chiarot

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

A) Petry, Eddy, Chiarot
B) Weber, Petry, Eddy
C) Weber, Petry, Chiarot

Petry, Edmundson and Chiarot is a fairly easy answer in a vacuum........Unfortunately I don't see any scenario where MB would expose his captain.

With this being the case I would look to trade Chiarot at the draft as he is older than Edmundson and is also closer to free agency. Otherwise I think Seattle will take him unless we don't protect Evans who is validating my earlier suggestion that he has firmly entered the protection conversation.

NM.....I am an idiot, the expansion draft will be held before the entry draft

Reactions: Eegs

CAUFIELD

Oct 16, 2015

A) Petry, Eddy, Chiarot
B) Weber, Petry, Eddy
C) Weber, Petry, Chiarot
I go with A). I think Seattle won’t take Weber. If so , we have 8m$ to work with ...
Protection list
Danault (resign 6y*4m$)
Gallagher
Toffoli
Kk
Anderson
Evans
Lehkonen

Petry
Edmundson
Chariot

Price

Exposed: Allen/Weber/Drouin/Byron/Kulak/Fleury

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
I go with A). I think Seattle won’t take Weber. If so , we have 8m$ to work with ...
Protection list
Danault (resign 6y*4m$)
Gallagher
Toffoli
Kk
Anderson
Evans
Lehkonen

Petry
Edmundson
Chariot

Price

Exposed: Allen/Weber/Drouin/Byron/Kulak/Fleury
Option A as well. I think Danault will cost more than $4m, and I would pay up to somewhere in the 5s, as long as he remains tradeable at his salary. Meanwhile, I could see them take Allen. Many of the exposed players are generously paid, to say the least, which suggests Allen will seen as attractive.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
The Chiarot haters are also often Danault haters.......clueless stat watchers who have almost no hockey IQ. Unfortunately these people comprise the vast majority of this board and make most threads entirely unreadable.

Depends what you call a hater. I like what both bring to the table, I am just not desillusional : Danault is a purely defensive 2/3C and Chiarot is a strong shutdown D made for bottom pair or occasionally rise to top 4 duties but who is unable to provide any offense / transition game. Most likely he could fit in a top 4 next to a Playmaking RD, but next to Weber they are so slow. I am really happy that he played well against TOR though

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

I like Chiarit when he's not running around too much. He has some underappreciated offensive skills. But sometimes when jumps up in the play he comes back like a chicken with his head cutoff. So I actually like that he hasn't been jumping up in the rush much so far in the playoffs.

He'll sure be motivated to beat his old team that passed on re-signing him.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Depends what you call a hater. I like what both bring to the table, I am just not desillusional : Danault is a purely defensive 2/3C and Chiarot is a strong shutdown D made for bottom pair or occasionally rise to top 4 duties but who is unable to provide any offense / transition game. Most likely he could fit in a top 4 next to a Playmaking RD, but next to Weber they are so slow. I am really happy that he played well against TOR though

Danault is a decent 2C and a great 3C. He is charged with the task of shutting down the other teams top scorer night in and night out. He would produce more offence if he didn't spend so much of his ice time with Dzone starts and actually saw some exploitable matchups. That being said he centers a line that has consistently outscored the leagues top lines in head to head matchups and that is all that matters.

Chiarot is not slow and plays in a system where there are almost no transition outlets in the middle of the ice. He is absolutely a top 4 dman (more specifically a #4) who would look the part in a better system than the ultra conservative system that is currently being used. Ideally Weber's spot in the lineup would be held by a more traditional PMD but that is not Chiarot's fault

If Ben Chiarot is on your bottom pairing then you likely have an elite Dcorps but this fact does not make him a typical candidate for bottom pairing duties.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I like Chiarit when he's not running around too much. He has some underappreciated offensive skills. But sometimes when jumps up in the play he comes back like a chicken with his head cutoff. So I actually like that he hasn't been jumping up in the rush much so far in the playoffs.

He'll sure be motivated to beat his old team that passed on re-signing him.

The problem is that Danault is our only center who is a plus skater (Evans is currently on the wing) and the center is usually the F3 and Weber needs to play with a larger gap when Chiarot pushes up.. Chiarot does need to tone it down as the current system doesn't support such risk taking as the forwards are rarely in position to take advantage of any gains that a defender may make with such calculated gambles.

Chiarot is better with the puck than people on this board give him credit for, unfortunately his ambition to demonstrate this is hindered by the creativity void instilled by Ducharme's system. I am personally hoping that Ducharme has simply managed to establish a framework for defensive responsibilities and will allow the system to evolve into a more fluid 200 foot system........not holding my breath on that one though.

Reactions: JAVO16
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad