Not open for further replies.

dgeezus

Aug 26, 2011
That's crazy!

Annotation 2019-12-23 225956.png

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
Nice article in Chiarot in the Athletic today. What stood out what the quote from Buff, he basically asked to play with Chiarot because if the puck was in Ben’s corner he could cheat and exit early because the puck was coming up ice.

Interesting. Martin McGuire and Dany Dubé had another interesting piece of info during tonight's second intermission (or maybe I'm one of the few who didn't know), but they said that before signing his contract with the Habs, Chiarot insisted that his contract include a limited no-trade clause stipulating that the team can't trade him to a team outside Canada. We have heard about a lot of players not wanting to play in Canada but it was the first I heard of a player who only wants to play in Canada.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
It is not sustainable... MB MUST find another LHD to play important minutes and cut down Chiarot's time to around 22 minutes a game. Kulak, Reilly or Mete cannot do that.

Mete can do that and was doing that. He was averaging 18 min per game before getting injured. And it was because of Mete's injury that Chariot started playing that much.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
In fairness he was brutal early on and we had reason to be concerned

He wasn't brutal though
He did some mistakes but was ok overall, and it was only for like the first 5-6 games, then he started playing much better.
An adaption period was also expected since the habs and jets play a completely different defensive system

Last edited:

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
He wasn't brutal though
He did some mistakes but was ok overall, and it was only for like the first 5-6 games, then he started playing much better.
An adaption period was also expected since the habs and jets play a complete defensive system
You are spot on that it was an adaptation process of learning each partners idiosyncrasies. He has been a tremendous addition.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Interesting. Martin McGuire and Dany Dubé had another interesting piece of info during tonight's second intermission (or maybe I'm one of the few who didn't know), but they said that before signing his contract with the Habs, Chiarot insisted that his contract include a limited no-trade clause stipulating that the team can't trade him to a team outside Canada. We have heard about a lot of players not wanting to play in Canada but it was the first I heard of a player who only wants to play in Canada.

This is uncharted territory as far as I'm concerned. Im not sure why a player would do this, but obviously, we have to hope there are more guys like this out there.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
So. Our Jordie Benn replacement happens to be looking like a bona fide top pairing minute--muncher.

Just goes to show that hockey can't be distilled down to pure stats. Weber - Chiarot works, don't ask why.

Keep it up Ben.

Weber and mete "works" too, but we should still be looking for better candidates on the left side. On great teams, we would he comforted that if that top LD went down, then mete or chiarot could cover that spot while he recovers.

I mean, im happy with chiarot, and mete, but they arent the final solution from a contender building POV.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Where are all of the clowns who thought Gardiner was soooo superior to Chiarot now lol?

Gardiner is an unmitigated disaster in Carolina and Chiarot has been our 2nd most reliable defender. I called it and was ridiculed by our resident advanced stat worshippers. The same ones who claimed Byfuglien carried Chiarot despite the fact that Byfuglien is a one man circus who creates odd man rushes at both ends of the ice.

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
Maybe, just maybe, we hit the jackpot and his big minutes ARE sustainable... maybe he IS a real #1 LD and is just now finally growing into his role.. MAYBE..

Maybe :)

I personally believe that your top pair doesn't have to be the #1 and #2 D-men; #1 and #3 or #1 and #4 (if their styles compliment each other, as seems to be the case for Weber and Chairot) will work and allows your #2 guy to carry the second pair.

We're definitely still looking for that second top-4 LD. Mete could well develop into that guy, but we'd be in a great position if Mete was #5 and first man up the order for injury cover.

Reactions: kevsavard95

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I don't think Ben is a 1 LD, but he is a top 4D for sure. I think being a number 3 would be more ideal for him. Also we have been playing closer games and taking more penalites then drawing so Ben is going to have more minutes because his game is more geared towards PK and shut down.

I will say he did not come as advertised on this board. Maybe he isn't Bobby Orr out there but he can skate, pass is pretty good and I think his shot is actually not bad either as he can usually get it close to the net. I think on 690 they were talking about how he is actually pretty mobile and it wasn't fair to knock him for his mobility.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
In fairness he was brutal early on and we had reason to be concerned

In fairness, the haters were at their most vocal before he had ever suited up for Montreal.

Also, he wasn't "brutal" early on. He had a few rough games adjusting to an entirely different system and those same hockey geniuses jumped on his every mistake because they thought it "proved" them right. Then the mistakes started to disappear and, surprise surprise, all those hockey geniuses got really quiet.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
. The same ones who claimed Byfuglien carried Chiarot despite the fact that Byfuglien is a one man circus who creates odd man rushes at both ends of the ice.

Anyone claiming that Byfuglien could carry *anyone* defensively is making it pretty clear that they don't have a clue what they are talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad