Player Discussion #8 - Ben Chiarot: Swing Low, Sweet Chiarot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
To cut down on Chiarot's ice time:

1) I'd live with Kulak's mistakes first and foremost - as Julien did last night. Last night CJ had Kulak-Weber, Chiarot-Petry. I never liked Kulak-Weber last year, and always though Kulak-Petry were solid, despite the occasional blunders. so one of those two options for the top 2 pairs.

2) to get the bottom pair more ice time, see if Mete-Fleury is better than Kulak-Fleury. Would be great if they could get 15-17 minutes a night. In the meantime, try to give Leskinen real ice time and see if he can adapt to the NHL.

I don't want to give up picks and prospects for a mediocre vet.

Agreed. Deal with what we have in the short term. I'm ok with a trade but go after a guy with team control for years instead of a short term guy who can walk.

Chiarot has been a beast for us this year. Definitely top 4D quality

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
As fans, we've been burned too many times before by players that played incredible/over their normal level for a short time.

Not gonna hold hope he's gonna keep playing like he currently does for long, but he's definitely being impressive right now with the minutes he's taking since Mete has been down.

Reactions: Le Tricolore

Montreal Impact FC

.:| Champ's City |:.
Jun 7, 2012
Montreal
playing 20+ minutes a night Also helps with self esteem and triggers confidence in his ability to be more than a 3th pairing D. look at Petry (breakout at 29), Souray (breakout at 27yo) etc.. they grew with us they had some potential, but hey they believed in themself... with increased roles.. Chariot was behind Trouba Morrisey Byfuglien.... with us he isnt behind all those other guys relied on to be offensive players.. so if he can find his rythm and feels confortable under Julien structure... who knows.. its not like he is 32yo.. we often say defenseman tends to blossom later.. at 28 thats sounds about the perfect timing. fingers crossed.

btw not saying chariot will turn out to be a 50-60pts player or a 20 goals scorer.. but if he can become a 30-45 points guy thats going to be awesome plus his physical ability.

Last edited:
Reactions: THE HOFF

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
10 games into the season he was already looking much better... the surprise is that he kept getting better by the day up until now. He's doing good out there and imo he really looks like he belongs in a top 4 if I'm honest.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
As fans, we've been burned too many times before by players that played incredible/over their normal level for a short time.

Not gonna hold hope he's gonna keep playing like he currently does for long, but he's definitely being impressive right now with the minutes he's taking since Mete has been down.

Same was said about Armia last year. Armia and Chiarot are good adds from the Jets deep roster. Chiarot is getting more opportunity with the Habs and he's producing. I preferred a 2 year deal but we will see how the 3rd year goes with cap space/expansion draft.

Also, Jets GM said they will miss this guy too! Now we know why

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Same was said about Armia last year. Armia and Chiarot are good adds from the Jets deep roster. Chiarot is getting more opportunity with the Habs and he's producing. I preferred a 2 year deal but we will see how the 3rd year goes with cap space/expansion draft.

Also, Jets GM said they will miss this guy too! Now we know why

I do hope he keeps this level of play for his entire contract in Montréal it would be really nice, I'm just a little pessimistic when it comes to average NHL players suddenly playing way better than they're used to.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I do hope he keeps this level of play for his entire contract in Montréal it would be really nice, I'm just a little pessimistic when it comes to average NHL players suddenly playing way better than they're used to.

He's in his prime and getting more opportunity with the Habs... why would he not improve? This is a little different than picking up 30+ player who was meh in his late 20's.

I don't see him changing the style he plays and the term/age is good.. 28-30

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
It is early but the top UFA d-men signings of off season (those that changed teams)

Myers 5yrs $6M per 1G 5A 6 pts a -3
Gardiner 4 years 4.05M per 2G 6A 8 pts and a -17
Stralman 3 Year 5.4M per 2G 8A 10 pts a -8

Chiarot 4G 7A 11 Pts a plus 9 and all for 3.5M per year.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
He's a 3.5M, lite version of Roman Hamrlik.
A pretty capable #4
I'm going to a Habs game in Ottawa next month. I decided earlier in the week that I'd wear my Hamrlik jersey to the game since it's my only road jersey that I own.

On topic, Chiarot has been a very pleasant surprise!

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Chiarot is playing so much better than he was in Winnipeg. Thought we were overpaying a bit when we signed him but if Chiarot can sustain this level of play his contract could be considered fantastic value.

He's been our second best dman after Weber this year. Left side could look pretty good once Mete is back.

Reactions: donghabs98

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
He's playing incredible. The best part is he's allowing Weber to breathe a little and play more freely. I love Mete but he can't play of the first pairing, Weber is too concerned about covering for the kid in the defensive zone.
Agree on both comments. When Meat is playing, Shea has to cover more ice which limits his effectiveness at both ends. Big Ben has been great. Plays a simple, smart, predictable game which all coaches love

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad