Player Discussion #8 - Ben Chiarot: Swing Low, Sweet Chiarot

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I really don't understand it cause we have very smart people in our fan base that you and I respect as well. It's strange how some take a stance and don't budge. It does not have to be all negative or all positive.
I sometimes get attacked in the Out Of Town Thread for laughing at out of town teams......it speaks to the detachment of common sense and attachment to misery from some.....it’s pure lunacy if you ask me

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I really don't understand it cause we have very smart people in our fan base that you and I respect as well. It's strange how some take a stance and don't budge. It does not have to be all negative or all positive.

In recent years, there has been a contingent of posters here that often take very extreme stances, often in an effort to push forward an existing agenda.

For example, all of the vocal Bergevin dissenters will trash an acquisition he has made and then by taking that stance, they then seemingly hope the player fails because that "I told you so" seems to matter more than the team having success. Conversely, they also equate finding their toxically negative takes as being "over the top" as the being the same thing as being a "Bergevin apologist." It's like Leaf fans who feel that any criticism of the team means you are a "Leaf hater" or have a "bias."

Somehow being "right" is much more important to them than the team succeeding, or conceding they were wrong.

You would think they would be happy to be wrong. I'm very happy I was wrong about the Domi/Galchenyuk trade for example. But for this subset of our fan base, they refuse to budge on their stance to the point that you can see them waiting for some sort of mistake or bad game so they can hammer home their silly point again.

You see it any time Carey Price allows a bad goal or has a bad game, for example. The salary cap doom-and-gloom that was predicted when he signed his contact hasn't unfolded as they claimed so now they are desperate to "prove" how bad the contract is and how bad Price is. At the start of last season, when the team was struggling, there was tons of negative posts and I told you so's... Then Weber came back, the team started winning and Price's numbers got better and better and they fell silent. You would think they would be happy the team was playing better and making a push for the playoffs but strangely they were instead seemingly bummed out they were wrong and went quiet.

Strange way to be a "fan."

There's nothing wrong with being negative and critical of your team and your players. But it's becomes a whole other thing when you are cheering for losses and validation of your negative opinions at the expense of the teams success, IMO.

Last edited:

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
they’ll continuously bring up Alzner, which is well merited, but will never ever mention the Domi acquisition or give it an even attention of debate as that’s a gold star beside Bergevin’s name

Even funnier is when they dismiss the Domi acquisition as a "fluke" because Domi was coming off a bad year and Bergevin just "gambled."

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
In recent years, there has been a contingent of poster here that often take very extreme stances, often in an effort to push forward an existing agenda.

For example, all of the vocal Bergevin dissenters will trash an acquisition he has made and then by taking that stance, they then seemingly hope the player fails because that "I told you so" seems to matter more than the team having success.

Somehow being "right" is much more important to them then the team succeeding, or conceding they were wrong.

You would think they would be happy to be wrong. I'm very happy I was wrong about the Domi/Galchenyuk trade for example. But for this subset of our fan base, they refuse to budge on their stance to the point that you can see them waiting for some sort of mistake or bad game so they can hammer home their silly point again.

You see it any time Carey Price allows a bad goal or has a bad game, for example. The salary cap doom-and-gloom that was predicted when he signed his contact hasn't unfolded as they claimed so now they are desperate to "prove" how bad the contract is and how bad Price is. At the start of last season, when the team was struggling, there was tons of negative posts and I told you so's... Then Weber came back, the team started winning and Price's numbers got better and better and they fell silent. You would think they would be happy the team was playing better and making a push for the playoffs but strangely they were instead seemingly bummed out they were wrong and went quiet.

Strange way to be a "fan."

There's nothing wrong with being negative and critical of your team and your players. But it's becomes a whole other thing when you are cheering for loses and validation of your negative opinions at the expense of the teams success, IMO.

Well said! I was wrong about that Galchenyuk/Domi trade as well. I knew Domi had game but was worried about his goal scoring ability. He squashed that pretty quick.

I actually give credit in terms of character to those who admit where they are wrong. It's lacking in today's society IMO.

We have a very big fan base and a knowledgeable one too. We can do better as fans with our constructive criticism

Reactions: Fenris

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Even funnier is when they dismiss the Domi acquisition as a "fluke" because Domi was coming off a bad year and Bergevin just "gambled."

I am labeled as a Bergevin supporter to most and I made fun of him with his "Habs fans don't know Domi cause he plays out west" comment. He was right! Lucky? Maybe but they kept Galchenyuk until they got the return they felt worked for our team. They did their homework too.

Chiarot is a great signing. I was worried about the 3rd year but not so much now. Still have some cap concerns though in that 21 off season

It's just to easy to criticize Bergevin for some fans and I don't think they will ever drop it. Comparing him to Gauthier or Houle is a joke. If Bergevin is gone today, we are left with a lot!

Reactions: jaffy27

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007

Tatar playing as well he has was a fluke as well. This despite Tatar putting up an average of 25 goals and 49 points over 3 seasons on a low scoring Detroit team before a down season with Detroit/Las Vegas where he still put up 20 goals.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Lol....yup, it was a pure gamble, they never scouted Domi nor did they do any homework on him, it was just a shot in the dark out of the desperation to rid themselves of Galchenyuk who’s already on his second team since the trade.....lol

Reactions: angusyoung

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
My biggest gripe with Chiarot is that he's playing a bit too much for a guy who looks (like he does) at the eyetest ... but that clearly has nothing to do with Chiarot himself.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Tatar playing as well he has was a fluke as well. This despite Tatar putting up an average of 25 goals and 49 points over 3 seasons on a low scoring Detroit team before a down season with Detroit/Las Vegas where he still put up 20 goals.

I actually saw a poster here claim last year that Bergevin should get "zero credit" for Tomas Tatar because he was "forced" to take him.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
I actually saw a poster here claim last year that Bergevin should get "zero credit" for Tomas Tatar because he was "forced" to take him.

Maybe he let Vegas think that. The return he got for Pacioretty in a must move him type deal is amazing. Way better than Sens got for stone who is a much better player than Patches. Domi, I can't say I hated the deal as I had already made up my mind that Galchenyuk needed out but I thought it was sideways at best. Thought Domi would bring more effort but less skill points.

Those 2 trades advanced the retool by 2 years at least.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
It’s either a fluke, he’s over performing or wait till next year when his numbers are down.....

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
And at first... it looked like Montreal gave away the best player... But Bergevin had done his homework!!

The Fisherman

Jul 15, 2019
Maybe he let Vegas think that. The return he got for Pacioretty in a must move him type deal is amazing. Way better than Sens got for stone who is a much better player than Patches. Domi, I can't say I hated the deal as I had already made up my mind that Galchenyuk needed out but I thought it was sideways at best. Thought Domi would bring more effort but less skill points.

Those 2 trades advanced the retool by 2 years at least.

I agree. He did well to get what he did for Pacioretty given the circumstances. Tatar was a solid player. The outlier was his short time in Vegas where he didn't get the opportunity. I think it was a foregone conclusion he would bounce-back to 20 goals a year. At the time Bergevin stated the key to the deal was getting Suzuki. I think we're seeing why now.

As for the Domi-Galchenyuk trade...I also knew Galchenyuk wasn't going to develop very early on. I forget which game it was, but we were down 1-2 goals late in a must have playoff game and he bailed on a play in the last 10 minutes. Domi was underrated on here. While he didn't have the points to show for it, he was widely considered one of the top passers in the game. I think it was clear at the time of the trade that Galchenyuk would probably be a 20-30 goal complimentary guy. I think the risk with Domi was whether or not he would produce enough to be a top line guy. The Habs obviously did their homework.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
Hes playing some very good hockey but i'll still wait for a bigger sample size before judging him and his signing, i remember Benn playing like a solid top 4 the first 20ish games he got here, we'll see who he really is by mid season

Reactions: angusyoung

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Is it time to try Chiarot on the pp?

He's got a really good shot and good offensive instincts. I guess Petry and Weber are the top 2 offensive dmen. But if one of them can't go, I'd turn to Chiarot or Mete depending on what is needed.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Hes playing some very good hockey but i'll still wait for a bigger sample size before judging him and his signing, i remember Benn playing like a solid top 4 the first 20ish games he got here, we'll see who he really is by mid season

Early still,but Ben is showing more than Benn.

Ben pulling for him since he got into town.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad