Player Discussion #8 - Ben Chiarot: Swing Low, Sweet Chiarot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
He's playing very well, I'm pleasantly surprised. I did not like his game in Winnipeg, but maybe coaching had a part in that.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He has steadily improved and is playing really solid hockey. High iq player and provides toughness. Really liking his game.

Agreed. He's a very solid piece we added on the back end! With Chiarot, we basically got what we were looking for when we signed Alzner. Chiarot is an upgrade on Benn. Both play physical but Chiarot is the better skater and has better passing ability with our breakouts. Love how he plays physical and is a very solid skater. It's important to have this in the mix on your back end.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Taking his actual contract out of the equation , he's been a pretty solid signing all told. He's not the first pairing puck moving LD we might have needed but with Fleury and Mete improving, our defense might be able to manage without one .

Reactions: Redux91 and 26Mats

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Taking his actual contract out of the equation , he's been a pretty solid signing all told. He's not the first pairing puck moving LD we might have needed but with Fleury and Mete improving, our defense might be able to manage without one .

I think he is easily worth his contract as a top-4 dman.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
If he's playing at this level for 20 minutes a night, there is absolutely nothing wrong with his contract.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
If he's playing at this level for 20 minutes a night, there is absolutely nothing wrong with his contract.

If he plays like this all season his contract is great value. 22 solid mins a night for 3.5mm is a great team deal.

I found the idea that Buff carried him a bit ridiculous. Buff looks like a nightmare to play with. Sure he is much better offensivey but struggling to understand how a player that is regularly out of position can carry his partner. Likely they balanced each other out.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I found the idea that Buff carried him a bit ridiculous. Buff looks like a nightmare to play with. Sure he is much better offensivey but struggling to understand how a player that is regularly out of position can carry his partner. Likely they balanced each other out.
Funny you mention this. I did a bit of scouting on Chiarot after we've signed him, and these are my exact thoughts. I've watched their playoff series against St.Louis and Byfuglien frequently seemed like a nightmare to play with. And yet, Chiarot was one of the most reliable defensemen on the Jets. I guess it speaks to his ability to read the game.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Agreed. He's a very solid piece we added on the back end! With Chiarot, we basically got what we were looking for when we signed Alzner. Chiarot is an upgrade on Benn. Both play physical but Chiarot is the better skater and has better passing ability with our breakouts. Love how he plays physical and is a very solid skater. It's important to have this in the mix on your back end.

He's cut down on the icings and his passing is great. Benn could constantly send out errant passes. Chiarot does not do that.

Chiarot is a calm vet back there. He may trouble some time with quicker teams, but we'll have to live with that. Overall he seems to know how to position himself so that his lack of foot speed doesn't result in a scoring chance.

He's also got good offensive instincts.

euhchepas

Jan 16, 2015
I wasn't a fan of the signing but he's been very good in every single game he didn't play with Petry. With Weber and Fleury he looked great, like a solid top 4 defenseman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad