OT: 78th Obsequious Banter Thread: Parlez-vous Français?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
I didn't mean that the German "is the only option on Netflix" - I meant "dubbing is horse shit." But yes, it's great for practicing language. The show is a mindf***, so you just have to stay mentally loose and roll with it.

I figured. So I'm not going to be able to semi-background it when I'm working, which is perfectly fine with me.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Second vote for this.

This is why I like you better than Cap.

:laugh: All three are quality shows!

Mad Men, specifically, has so many great scenes/quotes that stick out in my mind. Most notably the "That's what the money is for!" and "I don't think about you at all" scenes.

The big guy in Mindhunter in jail Is incredible.

I watch the Defiant ones everytime it’s on , so good.

That’s a solid list

Oh yeah, they did an amazing job with all the actors. Even visually, they're extremely close.

All the real serial killers and convicted murderers featured on Netflix's 'Mindhunter'

"Newsroom" was good and the first season of "Counterpart" was awesome (haven't seen the next one yet), but "Billions" is execrable - I thought I said it on here, but maybe not - it's actually worse than "Suits," and I didn't think I would ever say that about a show ever. It is incomparably ridiculous and terrible. Loved "Mindhunter" too - it sounds like Fincher wanted to make a third season, but then lost interest, and may have gotten some pushback on the cost of making the show, etc.

:laugh: I really liked the first couple of seasons of Suits. It got really repetitive/formulaic in the last few, but I think it started off pretty good. I usually don't watch/like those kinds of shows but I binge watched Suits from start to finish.

I haven't seen the second season of Counterpart either. I actually didn't know it was even out until you just mentioned it. Guess I'll start that soon.

Third on Mindhunter. Was really enjoying the series.

Nice to see some other people who liked Mindhunter. It's a real shame that a quality show like that gets the axe, given what other crap is being made.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I didn't mean that the German "is the only option on Netflix" - I meant "dubbing is horse shit." But yes, it's great for practicing language. The show is a mindf***, so you just have to stay mentally loose and roll with it.
Speaking of mind****... I watched Tenet and I've never been more confused by a movie or TV show.

I usually don't have any trouble following movies/shows - or at the very least I can look up answers to something I missed and connect the dots pretty quick - but this one short-circuited my tiny little peanut brain.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I am finishing up "Atelier" on Netflix now (two eps to go). Let me describe it to you - it's about a girl fresh out of college who goes to work for a woman who makes custom lingerie. (There's not much pervy stuff going on, so it's not for the hentais.) It's kind of a cross between "Project Runway" and every emotionally manipulative slice-of-life show that has ever been made in Asia.

I am 100% sure no one else on here would watch it (again, there aren't many scenes to perv on, even though the lead is the gorgeous Mirei Kiritani, my baby), but I wonder how many WAGS (wives and girlfriends) would even watch it. I love it and it is making my gooey center bubble with the feels.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Speaking of mind****... I watched Tenet and I've never been more confused by a movie or TV show.

I usually don't have any trouble following movies/shows - or at the very least I can look up answers to something I missed and connect the dots pretty quick - but this one short-circuited my tiny little peanut brain.

I am positive that I am going to hate it, and I am nearly positive that @JojoTheWhale will, too.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I am positive that I am going to hate it, and I am nearly positive that @JojoTheWhale will, too.
I'm a huge fan of Christopher Nolans other movies but I gave this one a 6/10.

10- Perfection
9- Absolutely amazing
8- Great
7- Really good
6- Fine
5- No feeling either way... Forgettable
4- Bad
3- Awful
2- Absolutely horrible
1- The worst thing ever

It's just too much and I felt like I had been strapped to a rocket and asked to read complex billboards as they flew by.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I'm working on my Best Films of 2020 list now. Super hard this year with most theatrical releases pushed to 2021 and beyond. Will post this week.
I probably won't even get to 10 this year. Mank, Relic, Tenet, The Assistant, and Bill & Ted Face the Music are the only ones I saw and actually liked.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
I watched the first episode with the English dubs and they were so distracting I quit on the show. I need to give it a go in German.

Of course that'll still be distracting. I just know I'll wind up getting excited I when I catch one word every three sentences and feel proud of myself for remembering that 'käse' means cheese.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

I drunkenly watched a movie on Netflix one night. It was like some WW2 movie from like a German & Norwegian perspective. I watched the thing for like 45 minutes & eventually realized they never were going to speak English & there wasn’t subtitles either. :laugh:

I might have liked it if I had a good clue as to what the hell they were saying in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad