OT: 78th Obsequious Banter Thread: Parlez-vous Français?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Hollywood Couturier said:
The whole card market looks to be a major major bubble right now it's absurd. Cards have doubled, tripled, etc in the last year. People like to say that it's people "diversifying" their portfolio but I think that's a load of shit. I also don't believe a lot of eBay auctions final auction price. I feel like a good portion of them are fraudulent shill bidders.

I know very little about the card market myself and @JojoTheWhale can probably shove me in a locker and tell me i'm completely wrong. That's just where my head is at.

I don’t know non-sports very well, but sports cards are absolutely rampant with shill bidders, insider dealing, and card doctoring. I can’t imagine Pokémon is any different. They go wherever the money is.

This isn’t just an eBay thing either. The single most famous baseball card in the world (Gretzky-McNall T206 Wagner) has openly been known as altered since the 70s. Here’s one of the most famous auctioneers in various ends of the sports markets:

Former Owner Of Mastro Auctions Sentenced To 20 Months In Federal Prison In Shill-Bidding Scam

In the interest of disclosure, I was one of many people shilled and I did submit a statement to the court in this case.

The current bubble is absolutely Vegas degens, lunatics from /r/WallStreetBets, and the like. They just walked into an infrastructure that was already set up to rob them blind.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
While not cards, i'm nearly 100% certain that NFL Auctions partakes in shill bidding themselves. Sometime last year they were called out by multiple people for the same generic account bidding on countless items and yet never actually winning any.

The solution that NFL Auctions came to almost immediately? They removed the ability to see the username of people bidding.

Totally 100% legit.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
While not cards, i'm nearly 100% certain that NFL Auctions partakes in shill bidding themselves. Sometime last year they were called out by multiple people for the same generic account bidding on countless items and yet never actually winning any.

The solution that NFL Auctions came to almost immediately? They removed the ability to see the username of people bidding.

Totally 100% legit.

They learned this solution from eBay. Shilling is part of the business model.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
I have to find this old eagles card I have and let you guys determine if it’s real and it’s value

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
I didn’t realize it was from 2000 lol.
A83A8487-E4B9-4201-B354-513868F0ED55.jpeg
4569E3CD-7E5A-43D5-93F7-22D4A181F691.jpeg

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I didn’t realize it was from 2000 lol.
View attachment 378862 View attachment 378863

Um. How did you get that? Backdoored by a friend at Fleer? That auto was a redemption and the card itself is a notoriously difficult acquisition. By far the most difficult in the set and a major Short Print.

I’m not joking for the record. That wouldn’t be cool. I have no idea on value, but I can try to dig into it. Sometimes very rare is valuable, sometimes it’s not.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
Um. How did you get that? Backdoored by a friend at Fleer? That auto was a redemption and the card itself is a notoriously difficult acquisition. By far the most difficult in the set and a major Short Print.

I’m not joking for the record. That wouldn’t be cool. I have no idea on value, but I can try to dig into it. Sometimes very rare is valuable, sometimes it’s not.
My sisters ex fiancée left it and a bunch of stuff at our house

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
My sisters ex fiancée left it and a bunch of stuff at our house

Do you have an eBay account?

I literally cannot find an example of this card selling in the last 8 years. His auto from the same product in 2004 recently sold for $275 and I believe that one to be significantly more rare. Again, more rare does not necessarily mean it’s worth as much or more. But it could be if you get the right bidders. Or it could sell for way less. Your market for these oddities is usually small, but their pockets are deep.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
Do you have an eBay account?

I literally cannot find an example of this card selling in the last 8 years. His auto from the same product in 2004 recently sold for $275 and I believe that one to be significantly more rare. Again, more rare does not necessarily mean it’s worth as much or more. But it could be if you get the right bidders. Or it could sell for way less. Your market for these oddities is usually small, but their pockets are deep.
Are these not it?
F1154A9F-1AEF-4537-A3B1-DD60DD90025E.png

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

They are not and there’s no way you would know it without knowing cards, but the people buying these things will.

Those are non-autographed cards that someone either had him sign or forged. They’re worthless. See how your card has a different back than theirs? That’s Fleer certifying that they had Van Buren sign it and they put it in a pack that way.

What makes this card particularly rare is that he didn’t return the signed versions in time to include them in packs, so they inserted redemption cards. Now you can redeem them online, but in 2000, you had to physically mail the redemption card to Fleer, then hope the card eventually came back and they would mail it to you. Most people never do that.

Reactions: Young Sandwich
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln