Post-Game Talk: #78 | Flyers at Blue Jackets | April 6, 2024 | 7:00 PM | NBCSP | Loss

Boocowski

Mar 31, 2024
Man the last decade and a half of middling, aimless mediocrity must have been nirvana for you.

Just a guy that loves a team that isn't that talented, refuses to bottom out, but gives him some good games! I mean what is better then that ?!
Could be worse. You could be a Sabres fan.

Reactions: BernieParent

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Could be worse. You could be a Sabres fan.
Yeah that would suck, could you imagine having 4 less points then the Flyers? And what do they even have to make up for those 4 points? A bunch of young highly skilled players that could potential gel into a good core over the next few season? Lame

Boy that sure would be awful. Plus I got to have that memorable run where the Flyers beat a non playoff Habs team in the playoff bubble. You can't put a price on memories like that.

Oh well at least they didn't waste the career of one of the franchise best players on over a decade of aimless mediocrity.

Boocowski

Mar 31, 2024
Yeah that would suck, could you imagine having 4 less points then the Flyers? And what do they even have to make up for those 4 points? A bunch of young highly skilled players that could potential gel into a good core over the next few season? Lame

Boy that sure would be awful. Plus I got to have that memorable run where the Flyers beat a non playoff Habs team in the playoff bubble. You can't put a price on memories like that.

Oh well at least they didn't waste the career of one of the franchise best players on over a decade of aimless mediocrity.
Okay buddy, go cheer for the team that hasn't made the playoffs in 13 years. Longest of any sport. Enjoy that. I know their current fans are abandoning them in droves so there will be plenty of room for you.
Guarantee you Flyers make the playoffs before the Sabres (unless the Sabres change drastically).

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
The Flyers are about to be in year 4 without playoffs. And they haven’t even attempted to rebuild while believing they’re exiting their rebuild.

Canes, Devils, Rangers should run the division for the next several years. The Atlantic is deep as f***. I don’t really see where the Flyers will improve. They have nothing beyond Michkov and will balance that with regression from older players. If they start approaching the decade mark, I can’t wait for the justifications from the anti-rebuild “BuffaLOL” people.

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
Thanks Deady

No no, DH wouldn't have argued the last sentence...

"Nobody survived the fallout from the rape charges and that's probably as it should be too."​

If you recall from the Carson Briere Wheel Chair incident, even with video f***ing evidence, DH was unable to admit that Carson Briere was indeed a piece of shit and guilty, but instead, went to the Twitter account of the woman who helped bring about justice for the case and attempted to besmirch her in various ways for "having a profile picture holding an adult beverage".

This poster is most certainly NOT DH, but I think your post is f***ing hilarious anyway.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Okay buddy, go cheer for the team that hasn't made the playoffs in 13 years. Longest of any sport. Enjoy that. I know their current fans are abandoning them in droves so there will be plenty of room for you.
Guarantee you Flyers make the playoffs before the Sabres (unless the Sabres change drastically).
You're right it's sooooo much better cheering for a team thats won 2 playoff series in that same 13 years, a team that at no point during that time has been considered a contender at all.

It's soooo much better having lost 4 series to division rivals in that time

The Flyers have been a bottom 5-10 (at best) team during rhe 13 year stretch you are discussing. Not contenders, not rebuilding. Just retooling their way to nowhere.

Sure tou can say they are a tier above Buffalo and Arizoa during that time, maybe Montreal too. But who else? Which other fan base has had it worse during that 13 year stretch?

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
No no, DH wouldn't have argued the last sentence...

"Nobody survived the fallout from the rape charges and that's probably as it should be too."​

If you recall from the Carson Briere Wheel Chair incident, even with video f***ing evidence, DH was unable to admit that Carson Briere was indeed a piece of shit and guilty, but instead, went to the Twitter account of the woman who helped bring about justice for the case and attempted to besmirch her in various ways for "having a profile picture holding an adult beverage".

This poster is most certainly NOT DH, but I think your post is f***ing hilarious anyway.
Hmmm, good point. Maybe he's just trying a new shtick to not be so obvious, lol

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The Flyers are about to be in year 4 without playoffs. And they haven’t even attempted to rebuild while believing they’re exiting their rebuild.

Canes, Devils, Rangers should run the division for the next several years. The Atlantic is deep as f***. I don’t really see where the Flyers will improve. They have nothing beyond Michkov and will balance that with regression from older players. If they start approaching the decade mark, I can’t wait for the justifications from the anti-rebuild “BuffaLOL” people.
We could be in the dirty 30s before they make the playoffs again.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
The last seven games, the Flyers have scored 2.14 gpg.

This goaltending narrative is ridiculous

No it’s not. The Flyers according to expected goals were supposed to score 26 goals. They’ve scored 22. It’s bad, they haven’t scored much.

The goaltending according to expected goals allowed is 22, and they’ve allowed 35. That’s insanely bad.

The Flyers all season were never going to be a team that scored a lot, but were a team that got good goaltending, which is also what made them successful.

The offense has dried up a bit too - yes, but that’s clearly not the biggest problem.

Boocowski

Mar 31, 2024
You're right it's sooooo much better cheering for a team thats won 2 playoff series in that same 13 years, a team that at no point during that time has been considered a contender at all.

It's soooo much better having lost 4 series to division rivals in that time

The Flyers have been a bottom 5-10 (at best) team during rhe 13 year stretch you are discussing. Not contenders, not rebuilding. Just retooling their way to nowhere.

Sure tou can say they are a tier above Buffalo and Arizoa during that time, maybe Montreal too. But who else? Which other fan base has had it worse during that 13 year stretch?
Well I'm not overly interested in going over the past too far. If you do that maybe then you don't stop until the beginning so you have to say 2 cups and although they were a long time ago that's more than quite a few teams in the league but it hardly matters.

I start this era with the firing of Fletcher. That's ground zero. I see things getting better from that low point. If they don't, I'm fine with the critiques and will join them, but if things improve, it's just a question of how long it takes. Rebuilds usually go slow slow a little up and down and then a huge surge when it all comes together if you get it right.

Fletcher left a horrible mess of a franchise. Nobody fixes that in one season.

Boocowski

Mar 31, 2024
Source please.
Go read SabreSpace. Plenty of people there talking about not renewing their season tickets.

They sold so few tickets this year the last Leaf game was a home game for Toronto. Imagine if the Flyers played Pittsburgh in Philly and the arena was all black and gold. That's Buffalo.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
maxresdefault.jpg

P.S. In New York if it's determined that you sell a "majority" of your tickets you need to pay for a $5,000 brokers license just to be able to buy season tickets. Who wants to deal with that?

CerpinTaxt

Apr 1, 2009
KY
No it’s not. The Flyers according to expected goals were supposed to score 26 goals. They’ve scored 22. It’s bad, they haven’t scored much.

The goaltending according to expected goals allowed is 22, and they’ve allowed 35. That’s insanely bad.

The Flyers all season were never going to be a team that scored a lot, but were a team that got good goaltending, which is also what made them successful.

The offense has dried up a bit too - yes, but that’s clearly not the biggest problem.
It is the biggest problem when team philosophy is to reject skill and offense. The point to win hockey games is to out score the opponent. If the team isn't good at scoring it's gonna have a tough time winning games period.

Now the games recently they probably don't win by scoring more cause yea it's tought to score 6-7 goals each game. However they could have won a few more times earlier in the year when the got the goaltending, but not the scoring. Teams can win with shit goaltending but absolutely can't win without scoring

Reactions: Amorgus

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Go read SabreSpace. Plenty of people there talking about not renewing their season tickets.

They sold so few tickets this year the last Leaf game was a home game for Toronto. Imagine if the Flyers played Pittsburgh in Philly and the arena was all black and gold. That's Buffalo.

Buffalo bottomed out hard from a ratings and attendance standpoint a few years ago, but they bounced back strong last year and have mostly kept up this season while staying a few K/game behind pre-COVID levels. It’s pretty much a mirror of Flyers’ attendance trends over the years. I’m not exactly checking every day, but that’s probably more instructive than some hardcores being upset and potentially still renewing anyway.

What HC is referring to is that we don’t have to imagine it. For example, some Rangers games at WFC. It happens.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Let's place bets next year on which team does better.

Probably Buffalo, who were recently better and just might end up ahead of the Flyers again this year, and they're in a harder division. But it doesn't much matter does it? Either way, if the Flyers are a couple wins ahead or a couple losses behind, they're still right in that same tier and they're doing nothing to move up out of it.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
I start this era with the firing of Fletcher. That's ground zero. I see things getting better from that low point. If they don't, I'm fine with the critiques and will join them, but if things improve, it's just a question of how long it takes. Rebuilds usually go slow slow a little up and down and then a huge surge when it all comes together if you get it right.

Fletcher left a horrible mess of a franchise. Nobody fixes that in one season.
If that is the time frame you want to use then I would much rather be Buffalo and I could argue the Flyers have been a bottom 5-10 franchise in that time frame. That includes this season where they were about as inept and aimless as possible.

They are one of the worst run franchises in the NHL. They have still not adapted to the cap 20 years after it's introduction.

They were a team who's previous success was based on financially bullying their competition and buying their way to success. They can no longer do that and so far have proven themselves incapable of adjusting.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
There's also the teensy problem of this still being the Fletcher era. Firing Fletcher, keeping Flahr and everyone else, and promoting his intern and then behaving the same as you had been doesn't seem very changey. They bragged nonstop about how they ran things as a committee, and they kept the committee sans one member.

Boocowski

Mar 31, 2024
Probably Buffalo, who were recently better and just might end up ahead of the Flyers again this year, and they're in a harder division. But it doesn't much matter does it? Either way, if the Flyers are a couple wins ahead or a couple losses behind, they're still right in that same tier and they're doing nothing to move up out of it.
How are they doing nothing?

First year, you identify problems and make the necessary subtractions - done and done successfully (aside from the Hart issue but I suspect there were no takers and really, nobody wants to get into that)
Second year (this year) build a strong foundation, a solid culture to build from. Done. Team lacks talent for sure, but they work much harder than in previous years, they didn't quit on a lot of games, and their overall team attitude was much improved.
Third year (next year) you start building off that foundation and adding talent. This remains to be seen, but Michkov eventually is part of that.

I see no problem with what is happening.

• Haha
Reactions: Flyerfan4life

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad