Post-Game Talk: #77: Maple Leafs 4 at FLYERS 5 (1-0 SO), Wednesday, Mar. 27, 2019, 7:00 p.m. ET

Hextallent63

Oct 13, 2011
Ghost gets punished for stuff that's ignored for other players, players who don't even bring his upside.
Sucks too because punishing him like they do is only going to hurt him. Imo he needs to keep playing his game to refine it. Punishing him for trying to push play the other way at an elite level is stupid

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Sucks too because punishing him like they do is only going to hurt him. Imo he needs to keep playing his game to refine it. Punishing him for trying to push play the other way at an elite level is stupid

Ghost turns 26 in a month, you can be patient with a 21-22 year old kid, but at some point when does a player become accountable?
Ghost hasn't been elite offensively this year, and he has been more mistake prone than last year.
I suspect there's some frustration with him in the organization, it looked like he turned the corner last year, now he's regressed a bit.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Ghost turns 26 in a month, you can be patient with a 21-22 year old kid, but at some point when does a player become accountable?
Ghost hasn't been elite offensively this year, and he has been more mistake prone than last year.
I suspect there's some frustration with him in the organization, it looked like he turned the corner last year, now he's regressed a bit.
All the more reason to turn Ghost into a 3rd line winger.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Let's think top-down on best ways to improve the team. A new system that facilitates puck movement and transition from defense to offense will help Gostisbehere and others manage the puck better and should create better exits and entries.

If Gostisbehere fails in a new system that makes optimal use of this team's good, young defensemen, then I will be on board with trading him. Until then, I will consider this a down year and hope for him to rebound.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Let's think top-down on best ways to improve the team. A new system that facilitates puck movement and transition from defense to offense will help Gostisbehere and others manage the puck better and should create better exits and entries.

If Gostisbehere fails in a new system that makes optimal use of this team's good, young defensemen, then I will be on board with trading him. Until then, I will consider this a down year and hope for him to rebound.

Yeah a lot of people fail to understand that bringing in a better coaching staff is going to be very beneficial to a lot of these players.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Yeah a lot of people fail to understand that bringing in a better coaching staff is going to be very beneficial to a lot of these players.
It will. But he still needs to learn not to attempt that pass from last night. No coach will ever want that attempt even if it does get thru.

(It may have bothered me a lot...lol)

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It will. But he still needs to learn not to attempt that pass from last night. No coach will ever want that attempt even if it does get thru.

(It may have bothered me a lot...lol)

Im sure he knows that it was ill-advised and im sure he did as soon as he made the pass. Just like im sure Couturier knew he made stupid plays in each of the last 2 games that resulted in goals against. The game happens fast and sometimes good players do stupid shit. Definitely not worth dwelling over still.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Im sure he knows that it was ill-advised and im sure he did as soon as he made the pass. Just like im sure Couturier knew he made stupid plays in each of the last 2 games that resulted in goals against. The game happens fast and sometimes good players do stupid ****. Definitely not worth dwelling over still.
Well as I said, I am ok with the message being sent in the benching but still would not be looking to trade him. I just want him to play it safer next time in that same situation.

Reactions: Rebels57

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Well as I said, I am ok with the message being sent in the benching but still would not be looking to trade him. I just want him to play it safer next time in that same situation.

I was fine with it until OT. I would have given him a shift in OT and told him to "Go get that 1 back." Give him the opportunity for redemption.

Reactions: Tripod

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It wasn't even about the pass. Going into the 3rd period he had a total of 8 minutes, despite being absolutely fantastic up until that mistake.

These idiots are jerking him around whether he f***s up or not. They don't give a shit about quality of play, it was just an excuse.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
its been so long since we had a actual NHL level HC, i think people have legit forgot how much of a difference it really makes...

getting a real NHL HC with a real NHL level system in place is not only job#1 this offseason, its the f***ing ONLY job...

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
its been so long since we had a actual NHL level HC, i think people have legit forgot how much of a difference it really makes...
This is so true. No knock on what Gordon has done to put a tourniquet on the season but the bar for evaluating coaching here has been to low for far too long. The time to experiment with HCs going through a learning on the job process is past. The organization needs a quality, proven HC for the club for 2019-20. I don't think that Scott and Comcast are going to settle for less.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
I'm agnostic about Ghost, I'm pretty sure we'll never see rookie Ghost again (in terms of pure physical talent), I'm not sure which Ghost is the one going forward, last year or this year.

This year's Ghost isn't a bad defenseman, but he's far from elite. An solid offensive, mediocre defensive 2nd pair D-man who needs to be somewhat sheltered. Who is still valuable on the PP and holds his own at ES, but is nothing special.

If I'm Fletcher, I want to know why Ghost fell off this season, was it injuries or did the league adjust to him?
If it's the later, this may be the Ghost we have going forward.
And you don’t trade that while you have worse players on the team. With hagg gudas and Macdonald still here you keep him. Wait till players are pushing him down the lineup because they are actually out playing him.

He messed up in last nights game. I have no problem with benching him. To teach him there. But hold all the players accountable not just him sanhiem and Myers.

Hagg should be benched a ton. Provy too. Most importantly we need to bring in a staff that doesn’t hold double standards.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
This is so true. No knock on what Gordon has done to put a tourniquet on the season but the bar for evaluating coaching here has been to low for far too long. The time to experiment with HCs going through a learning on the job process is past. The organization needs a quality, proven HC for the club for 2019-20. I don't think that Scott and Comcast are going to settle for less.

Yeah I'd love to take a shot at Keefe but we've wasted SO MUCH of Giroux on experimental coaches already.

Reactions: Flyerfan4life

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
Heck Morin was rusty last night and didn’t play enough mins to mess up bad. But looked better than hagg. Especially when out with gudas Myers or ghost.

Ghost was not having his best game. Which is why I want to run three pairs evenly. So you can adjust to whose playing well and whose not.

Provy Myers
Sanhiem. Gudas
Morin ghost.

Move ghost up to provy if playing really welll or for offensive boost. All those pairs should see close to 20 mins. And for the rest of the season keep hagg in for pk and spot duty here and there.

Ghost messed up on the 4th goal. Hagg got caved in all night and does this routinely

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
And you don’t trade that while you have worse players on the team. With hagg gudas and Macdonald still here you keep him. Wait till players are pushing him down the lineup because they are actually out playing him.

He messed up in last nights game. I have no problem with benching him. To teach him there. But hold all the players accountable not just him sanhiem and Myers.

Hagg should be benched a ton. Provy too. Most importantly we need to bring in a staff that doesn’t hold double standards.
You don't trade that even if he's the 6th best D on the team because the contract is a STEAL and that means your team is f***ing stacked and expensive, so great value contracts are EXACTLY what you should covet.

Basically, the only time suggesting a Ghost trade would make sense is if his production dips to like 20 points per year, for multiple years, and he suddenly can't move the puck anymore. Until then, it's just absolutely ridiculous to even entertain the idea.

Heck Morin was rusty last night and didn’t play enough mins to mess up bad. But looked better than hagg. Especially when out with gudas Myers or ghost.

Ghost was not having his best game. Which is why I want to run three pairs evenly. So you can adjust to whose playing well and whose not.

Provy Myers
Sanhiem. Gudas
Morin ghost.

Move ghost up to provy if playing really welll or for offensive boost. All those pairs should see close to 20 mins. And for the rest of the season keep hagg in for pk and spot duty here and there.

Ghost messed up on the 4th goal. Hagg got caved in all night and does this routinely

????????????????????????

Up until that turnover he was absolutely fantastic last night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad