Post-Game Talk: #77: Maple Leafs 4 at FLYERS 5 (1-0 SO), Wednesday, Mar. 27, 2019, 7:00 p.m. ET

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
You don't trade that even if he's the 6th best D on the team because the contract is a STEAL and that means your team is ****ing stacked and expensive, so great value contracts are EXACTLY what you should covet.

Basically, the only time suggesting a Ghost trade would make sense is if his production dips to like 20 points per year, for multiple years, and he suddenly can't move the puck anymore. Until then, it's just absolutely ridiculous to even entertain the idea.
I get it I meant if he is a six on the team. Others are clearly better and time to make room for potential prospects. His contract is great. And you keep that. But if he is the sixth best he probably is the spot that could be improved

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Every player makes mistakes as egregious as that at one point or another. Even Couturier. Difference is, he has a rep for being good defensively so mistakes get forgotten immediately.
Come on. Couts has that rep because he has earned that rep of being great defensively. Ghost doing that last night is why he gets his rep.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Come on. Couts has that rep because he has earned that rep of being great defensively. Ghost doing that last night is why he gets his rep.

No, it's absolutely not. This is exactly the confirmation bias the pro-trade crowd uses. Saying that kind of thing is "why he gets this rep" is wrong because 1) it makes it sound like it's happening frequently enough to earn a rep, and 2) it makes it sound like the rep is deserved.

He f***ed up. It's over. Move on. It doesn't happen often and it doesn't even happen to him more often than other defensemen on the team... yet he's the one with trade hypotheticals.

Provorov has f***ed up equally as bad, where’s his rep? How about Sanheim? Giroux? Couturier? It happens to every single skilled player in the same magnitude, even if not the same exact form. The only difference is those people don't get the same amount of shit for it because of double standards and stereotypes.

Last edited:
Reactions: FlyTimmo

Philly Fanatik

"They're going home!"
Jun 24, 2017
Clarenville,NL,Canada
0260897C-20DB-4B7F-BE8E-10F96320F5C8.jpeg
What the difference between Ghost and a apple turnover?
The apple!

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
The problem is the inconsistency. Hagg will make a mistake on that level nearly every game. Provorov also has his fair share of bonehead plays, likely more than Ghost. Sanheim and Myers aren't immune either. Yet Ghost generally receives the harshest punishment in terms of ice time.

Ghost deserved some bench time, that give away was beyond horrific. Wish I could bench a few guys, but I can't.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Ghost has this rep for turnovers, and yet he isn't even the worst on our team for it. People act like he is. I don't get it.
Ghost's mistakes are magnified because of his great season last year. Some probably expected him to be even better this year as he's still young.
Nobody expects much from Hagg or MacDonald. They're bottom pairing defenseman. That's why Ghost will always make more money than Hagg and that's why Ghost is a key player. But when you're a key player the expectations are higher. It is what it is and I think it's good for a player to be criticized from time to time.
People here complain about Provorov being "the golden boy" and at the same time they want Ghost and Sanheim to be treated that way. Makes no sense.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
People here complain about Provorov being "the golden boy" and at the same time they want Ghost and Sanheim to be treated that way. Makes no sense.
Not even close to true.

Either all 3 get punished for mistakes or none of the 3 get punished. It’s the double standards that are the problem.

It all just comes back to lazy stereotypes.

Reactions: DaphneLion

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Not even close to true.

Either all 3 get punished for mistakes or none of the 3 get punished. It’s the double standards that are the problem.

It all just comes back to lazy stereotypes.
I agree that Provorov deserves more criticism. He's had a bad season, especially by his standards.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I'm fine with some short benching for mistakes. But if we did, Hagg would never play.

Where do I sign up?

Ghost's mistakes are magnified because of his great season last year. Some probably expected him to be even better this year as he's still young.
Nobody expects much from Hagg or MacDonald. They're bottom pairing defenseman. That's why Ghost will always make more money than Hagg and that's why Ghost is a key player. But when you're a key player the expectations are higher. It is what it is and I think it's good for a player to be criticized from time to time.

Ah, so it's like when Carter became a huge whipping boy in large part because he only score 35 goals a year instead of 40.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I agree that Provorov deserves more criticism. He's had a bad season, especially by his standards.
Yup. Our 3rd best D, with by far the most icetime, and I can’t think of a single time in his career where he ever got benched.

It makes no sense.

And it’s not that I think he should be benched, because he shouldn’t. It’s just that the others shouldn’t be benched either.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Where do I sign up?

Ah, so it's like when Carter became a huge whipping boy in large part because he only score 35 goals a year instead of 40.
I guess when you reach a certain level people expect you to be consistently great. It's not fair but it's still better than not expecting anything like we do from Hagg.

If McDavid scores 70 points next year, nobody will care that he still has more points than any other Oiler.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
There’s also a difference between people fairly saying that someone’s is having a down season by their standards and people making up false reputations that don’t fit.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
If Hakstol misusing players didn’t cause them to get traded (TK, Sanheim, Ghost, Lindblom) or re-signed (Vandevelde, Manning, Filppula) then there’s no reason to think an interim coach has that much power.
I am not basing it on just Gordon. The hints have been out there thru the beats and the National media that he is available. Same thing happened with Pitkanen, JVR and Schenn. Now those guys were moved a season or two after their names first appeared in the rumor mill so maybe Ghost stays on another season. But once the team doesn’t like a player for one reason or another, that player is a goner.

Reactions: renberg

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I am not basing it on just Gordon. The hints have been out there thru the beats and the National media that he is available. Same thing happened with Pitkanen, JVR and Schenn. Now those guys were moved a season or two after their names first appeared in the rumor mill so maybe Ghost stays on another season. But once the team doesn’t like a player for one reason or another, that player is a goner.
You’re basing this on the media? :laugh: Thats even worse.

If this were true Couturier would have been traded years ago, back when there were a ton of rumors and hypotheticals. We’d also have Kane, Byfuglien, Bernier, Ryan, and a bunch of other players the media constantly went on about us adding. The rumors and hints mean exactly nothing.

Also, the media made it clear that the only untouchable guy is Giroux, meaning everyone else is “available”, which by your logic means we’re about to trade the whole team in a year or two.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
There’s also a difference between people fairly saying that someone’s is having a down season by their standards and people making up false reputations that don’t fit.

Ghost had 2 egregious errors in that game. The second one got him sat. I'm fine with it.

Reactions: renberg

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
You’re basing this on the media? :laugh: Thats even worse.

If this were true Couturier would have been traded years ago, back when there were a ton of rumors and hypotheticals. We’d also have Kane, Byfuglien, Bernier, Ryan, and a bunch of other players the media constantly went on about us adding. The rumors and hints mean exactly nothing.

Also, the media made it clear that the only untouchable guy is Giroux, meaning everyone else is “available”, which by your logic means we’re about to trade the whole team in a year or two.

It's not about 1 recent report or a 1 time report (like the all but G are available). It's been consistent throughout the year that the in the know guys like Friedman and McKenzie have reported Ghost could be traded. That's a lot different than the beats saying it. If Ghost is traded he's bring back a top 6 player. That is why he is a good one to deal.

And I love what Ghost brings. Hell I had his jersey on last night and was irate when he made that pass for the last Leafs goal. That's freaking hockey 101 that you don't make that pass.

Reactions: flyersfan187

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad