Post-Game Talk: #77 | FLYERS 2 at Stars 3 (OT)| Tue., Mar. 27, 2018, 8:30 pm ET

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
Yes because removing 4 players for 1 is subtraction. They have a roster of players + Crosby. Talking about trading away a bunch of our players for Crosby is a different conversation and one I am not willing to have.

I am starting to wonder if you are a troll...
You said best player = best roster.

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
You said best player = best roster.

I actually did NOT. I am saying by having the best player on your team, you instantly have something that no other team can have that is better than the best thing on any other team. By that fact alone, you have the better roster.

This is basic stuff. Apply it to any product.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He does, but that is irrelevant.

Sullivan with Hakstol's roster would have better results than Hakstol.

Even though Sullivan with Sullivan's better roster has had the same results.
I'm sure there's some kind of logic working here, isn't there?

JXC

Dec 28, 2005
I actually did NOT. I am saying by having the best player on your team, you instantly have something that no other team can have that is better than the best thing on any other team. By that fact alone, you have the better roster.

This is basic stuff. Apply it to any product.
Let’s try it a different way.

If you were GM of Flyers and the Pens’ GM offered you to trade his entire roster for yours, would you take the deal?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
It’s completely relevant.

Sullivan has the better roster. And he’s a great coach.

Hakstol has the lesser roster. And he’s an awful coach.

But after 75 games, the two teams are separated by 2 points.

:huh:

It's established that teams that go on deep playoff runs often struggle the year after. Less recovery time in the offseason. The Pens were coming off two deeps runs.

Sullivan has coached two brilliant playoffs runs. He got around injuries, he exploited other teams. He maximizes the efficiency of his roster in ways Hakstol doesn't.

But sure, you keep on ignoring any context you can to quote a single stat so you can keep on mindless arguing for its own sake.

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
Let’s try it a different way.

If you were GM of Flyers and the Pens’ GM offered you to trade his entire roster for yours, would you take the deal?

Again I didn't say 1 player = best roster. I am saying if you plug Crosby onto any roster in the NHL, you have the best roster. Why would it require there being zero other people on the team?

Bye!

JXC

Dec 28, 2005
Even though Sullivan with Sullivan's better roster has had the same results.
I'm sure there's some kind of logic working here, isn't there?
I’m surprised it’s taking this long to come up with some excuses.

Cup hangover is a legit one.

And weren’t Malkin and Letang out for a while?

Reactions: hatcher

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Let's be clear: it is utterly delusional to begin arguing that Hakstol and Sullivan are remotely comparable, in any way. It borders on an egomaniacal refusal to admit one is wrong to attempt that.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I don’t.

Sullivan has better players.

By a wide margin.

No, not really. Their bottom six is not filled with special talents and the D group has some lackluster players. What they have is a coach who utilizes those players to their best effect, and he's facing off against Hakstol who chases Crosby around with Flip, Hagg, and MacDonald...which is utilizing your players as poorly as possible.

The gaps between the rosters are not sufficient to explain the recent record against Pittsburgh. When you account for our team being incompetently handled versus actual competence, then the picture is complete.

Why is it that Sullivan still handles Hakstol even when his roster is riddled with injuries?

Last edited:

JXC

Dec 28, 2005
They were first in the division at the deadline and are looking increasingly likely that they might not make the playoffs.

I know.

It almost seems like there were things that happened just before the Deadline that resulted in teams like Columbus and New Jersey and Pittsburgh playing improved hockey after the Deadline.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
No, not really. Their bottom six is not filled with special talents and the D group has some lackluster players. What they have is a coach who utilizes those players to their best effect, and he's facing off against Hakstol who chases Crosby around with Flip, Hagg, and MacDonald...which is utilizing your players as poorly as possible.

The gaps between the rosters are not sufficient to explain the recent record against Pittsburgh. When you account for our team being incompetently handled versus actual competence, then the picture is complete.

Why is it that Sullivan still handles Hakstol even when his roster is riddled with injuries?

And Berube used to beat the Penguins.
2013-14 Flyers 4-1-0
2014-15 Flyers 4-0-0
2015-16 Flyers 1-3-0
2016-17 Flyers 2-2-0
2017-18 Flyers 0-2-0

Seems to have less to do with coaches than matchups and talent.
Guentzel - Crosby - Rust
Hagelin - Malkin - Hornqvist
Sheary - Brassard - Kessel

Oleksiak - Letang
Dumoulin - Schultz
Maata - Ruhwedel

We don't approach this kind of depth.
The Penguins mortgaged their future, but with Crosby (30) and Malkin (31), the future is now.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
I don’t.

Sullivan has better players.

By a wide margin.
Way better d and forwards who commit to winning. Flyers should not be talked about in the same sentence as the pens. Hurts me to say that but it's true. Pens are bored and play better then the shit from to to bottom we watch.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
And Berube used to beat the Penguins.
2013-14 Flyers 4-1-0
2014-15 Flyers 4-0-0
2015-16 Flyers 1-3-0
2016-17 Flyers 2-2-0
2017-18 Flyers 0-2-0

Seems to have less to do with coaches than matchups and talent.
Guentzel - Crosby - Rust
Hagelin - Malkin - Hornqvist
Sheary - Brassard - Kessel

Oleksiak - Letang
Dumoulin - Schultz
Maata - Ruhwedel

We don't approach this kind of depth.
The Penguins mortgaged their future, but with Crosby (30) and Malkin (31), the future is now.
How old is g and v and Simmonds who aren't close to the level of players the pens have?

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
I think the coaching job Sullivan did to psychoanalyze his players and stop them from chasing stupid penalties like jackasses has more to do with the recent success of that team against the Flyers (loss of Neal?). For whatever reason, we lost the rent-controlled apartment we had in their brains (akin to the Brodeur Devils v. Lindros).

After that, their talent (coaching) > our talent (coaching). Or maybe it was the fried catfish Lavi used to buy...

Reactions: JXC

JXC

Dec 28, 2005
Way better d and forwards who commit to winning. Flyers should not be talked about in the same sentence as the pens. Hurts me to say that but it's true. Pens are bored and play better then the **** from to to bottom we watch.
Sullivan is a good coach. He has his players work hardest in their own zone.

But that does not hide the fact that the Pens roster is inarguably superior to the Flyers.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
G & V aren't the core of this team moving forward.

Five top players 21 and under on the team right now, and Frost (19), Myers (21), Morin (22), NAK (21) waiting in the wings.
Behind them some more top flight prospects in Hart, Allison, Ratcliffe, Rubtsov, Laczynski, etc.

Problem is it will take 2-3 more years for this team to peak, by 2019-20 the roster will be deep through Lehigh, and then each year as players get experience the team as a whole should continue to improve for a few more years.

JXC

Dec 28, 2005
is Fixed It For You permitted here?

Let me know if not.

Let's be clear: it is utterly delusional to begin arguing that the Flyers roster and the Penguins roster are remotely comparable, in any way. It borders on an egomaniacal refusal to admit one is wrong to attempt that.

Fixed It For You

JXC

Dec 28, 2005
Right on buddy. You watch the games I see.
I love the way the Penguins played in their own end in last year’s playoffs. Super hardworking.

But only two points separates us and them. It’s mystifying to me, sincerely.

Reactions: hatcher

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad